autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which wax/sealant offers the highest level of UV protection?

Does anyone know? It seems that since everything went to hybrid ceramic formulas, they're not mentioning it on the bottle for some reason. Was that the trade off, gloss for uv inhibitors?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which wax/sealant offers the highest level of UV protection?

Hard to say. Unfortunately, in the detail world there are no industry standard tests to verify claims made. I'd say Optimum Car Wax is one product known for its UV protection. However, others also claim UV protection too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as something is being used, isn't the surface protected? The LSP is taking the beating from the UV light vs the clear coat. When I lived in Hawaii, where the sun is brutal on vehicles, the vehicles with faded and suffering clear coat failure was those who were never protected with anything. Those where the owners made an attempt with some form of wax/sealant/etc seemed to fair just fine.

Optimum is about the only one I can think of who advertises some UV protection.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes CleanIT, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, Optimum Car Wax is the only paint protection that offers the same UV inhibitors found in new clear coat.

Dr. G mentioned that the most difficult part of formulating Car Wax was getting the inhibitors to migrate into the clear.

7. Thanks CleanIT, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, Desertnate, chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an old quote from Mike Phillips on that exact question. Not sure if it still applies given the newer products on the market, but my guess is that it still does:

"Some waxes do contain UV-protection agents, but the amount of protection that a microscopically thin layer of wax can provide is limited

The primary goal of a wax is to protect the top layers of paint that contain UV-protection agents from the paint manufacture. If you wash and wax your car regularly, your paint will be protected and you should suffer no major UV damage over the normal course of the life of the car.

Don't be fooled by some companies that lead you to believe that it is the UV protection in a wax that protects your car's finish from fading and failure, this is dishonest and simply not true. Taking care of the paint you presently have will go further to protect your finish than relying on protection supplied by a liquid you pour out of a bottle, or a wax you scoop out of a can. UV protection in a car wax formula is only an extra-dose of preventative maintenance, not the end-all, cure-all that some companies would lead you to believe.

UV protection for paint is much different from UV blocking ingredients for human skin. The two formulas are nothing alike and work in drastically different ways. There is no correlation between the ratings applied to the different levels of sun blocking protection for products intended for use on human skin and the ingredients available for use in an automotive wax formula. Sad to say, much of what you see advertised about the protective qualities of most car care products on the market today is simply over-exaggerated hype used to separate you from your hard earned dollars.

I hope this helps to explain the role UV protection plays in a wax formula.

Mike"

9. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, BadgerRivFan, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, if you are in one of the sun Heavy states like Southern California, Texas or Florida, and your car is sitting in a parking lot 24/7, get a cover or erect a shade. I refuse to believe that there’s anything you can put on a car that allows the paint luster to come through, yet still protects you from UV in a substantial way.

I used 303 on my boat vinyl for several years, and the product was touted as aUV protectant, my vinyl bolsters still rotted out after about four years of using it weekly, I finally replaced the bolsters and made covers…
    Glen -

11. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a search on UV when this came up a week or so ago. Griot’s Ceramic 3-in-1 wax has UV inhibitors. 303 Graphene has UV inhibitors. I’m sure just about any decent sealant has UV inhibitors since vehicles are out in the Sun. And supposedly there needs to be a certain level of UV inhibitors in a product to be able to put UV protection on the label. Not whether that is tested and verified is another story.

13. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Dislikes SNP209 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure but FK1000p offers “heavy duty resistance to UV”. It really is a great product.

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

15. Likes CleanIT, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    Not sure but FK1000p offers “heavy duty resistance to UV”. It really is a great product.

Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax
    I thought about trying FK1000p.

17. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor Boy's waxes are inexpensive and you can apply it in the sun, but that would be the last resort. They have UV protection built into their waxes. Additionally, it is a pretty good wax too from 1st hand experience. They have the Blue, Red or liquid form. Try that if you are looking for a wax with UV protection.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast