autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Correction/Ceramic new Black F 250

I have a new F250 in Agate Black on order. I don’t know the hardness of this paint or how soon I should do any corrections. It is supposed to be here in either March or April. Looking for some advice on what to do once I get it home. Don’t waste your time and mine with any negative thoughts on owing a black vehicle. I get it. Having said that, do you think this will need any claying or major corrections prior to ceramic coating? What products steps would you suggest once I get this home? Unfortunately this will not fit in my garage (at least for the next year), so it will be out in the elements. I’ve done correction on several vehicles, but never ceramic. I do have Wolfgang Perfekt Prep, Uber Ceramic Spray Coating as well as Midnight Sun wax, but I have never of those . Any “Positive “ suggestions will be much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Correction/Ceramic new Black F 250

Hard to say until you physically get the truck and inspect it. More than likely it will need an iron remover and a polish at a minimum. Hard to say if you need to clay and or compound.

As far as products it depends on the polishes you have in your possession. Everyone has their preference and you will get many different recommendations so be ready to do some research on that.

For a coating I would consider one of the new Gyeon Evo coatings. Potentially starting with CanCoat Evo as they can be applied outside. I have reviews on the new coatings on this forum.

3. Likes PaulMys, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Guz pretty much nailed it.

You will have to inspect the truck for yourself and assess what it might need.

Working for a Ford dealer and being responsible for checking in all new arrivals, I can tell you that this time of year the vehicles can roll off of the haulers extremely filthy. I see by your info you are in Rochester. I'm assuming that is Rochester, NY. So you know what I mean.....

(For the forum, that is about 75 miles east of Buffalo).

And just a heads-up: I hope your new F-250 arrives in March or April. Those Super Duty trucks are arriving at a snails pace. They shut that plant down for a few weeks 2-3 times since Covid, and the "recovery" has been awful to say the least.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Start with telling the dealer absolutely do not wash the truck. this minimizes the amount of correction needed

6. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, opie, Jayfro, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your suggestions! I will take a look at your reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right. The can do more damage than good sometimes!

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess between the trains from Kentucky and then the truck to the dealer they can get pretty filthy. I really want my truck since I have had my order since August, but I would can afford to wait until the snow is gone

Post Thanks / Like

Patience is key. If the weather is still unfavorable when you take delivery, take a deep breath, and deal with a dirty truck until you can do it right. I owned two consecutive black cars, so I've had to learn over time to accept less than perfection in winter in order to preserve the paint.

Like many have said already, let the paint be your guide. Don't automatically assume you need to do a full compound and polish. If all goes well, a light polishing may be all that's needed before applying the coating. Even if the finish appears to be nearly perfect it isn't a bad idea to do a LIGHT polishing before applying the coating simply to amp up the shine a bit before locking everything down with a coating.

Last spring my son-in-law got a new car. Despite the paint being in great shape I gave it a light polish before coating it, and the difference in the gloss and shine were quite noticeable.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deano_1 View Post
    I have a new F250 in Agate Black on order. I don’t know the hardness of this paint or how soon I should do any corrections. It is supposed to be here in either March or April. Looking for some advice on what to do once I get it home. Don’t waste your time and mine with any negative thoughts on owing a black vehicle. I get it. Having said that, do you think this will need any claying or major corrections prior to ceramic coating? What products steps would you suggest once I get this home? Unfortunately this will not fit in my garage (at least for the next year), so it will be out in the elements. I’ve done correction on several vehicles, but never ceramic. I do have Wolfgang Perfekt Prep, Uber Ceramic Spray Coating as well as Midnight Sun wax, but I have never of those . Any “Positive “ suggestions will be much appreciated!
    Congrats on your new part-time job.

Post Thanks / Like

I love black cars, and the next one I buy will be black. I've had one in the past too.

We get a lot of cars that were freshly delivered to the dealerships.

I remember one little yellow Toyota that came right off the truck to the shop. It still had protective plastic still on the paint.

It also had some really heavy contamination that took a red nanoskin clay block to remove. Yours could show up in an unpredictable condition. It might look great, or it could need some TLC.

After the wash and decon I polished it with Menzerna MC2500, panel wiped with Car Pro Eraser, and coated with Ceramic Pro 9H (not recommend) before it was picked up.
    Having a variety of polishes (I like heavy, medium, and fine) and pads is nice to be able to remedy whatever condition the vehicle is in.

I'm becoming a fan of synergistic systems. I haven't used the Wolfgang stuff personally, but it is very highly regarded.

I would try to stay in that range if that idea interests you. That way you'll know that the products are compatible, but then again. I've done fine with a'la carte-ing from whatever is in the arsenal. I believe they have a "swirl remover" that is similar to that Menzerna 2500. Their spray coating should be fine for outdoor use.

Optimum Gloss Coat is the only coating I ever applied outside, and it was in shade provided by a maple tree. I probably wouldn't want to do that in the blazing sun!

14. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast