autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having trouble with hard black paint

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Just dilute it if you get panel wipe. I’ve moved to the gallon of Meguiar’s M122 surface prep for a panel.

Eraser is good as well.
    Read somewhere that panel wipe might be too harsh on repainted surfaces. Since my bumper was recently repainted, I’ll just play it safe with Eraser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    Yes the yellow are both finishing pads for each company.
    Wouldn't it be crazy if it's your towels........

I know Griots blue edgeless are softer than Ron Jeremy after an arrest warrant
    Hahahaha!!! Hedgehog..

3. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    My opinion... Those scratches in the door appear to be fairly significant. Maybe caused by opening the door into a bush or something like that.

My take is that you have not been aggressive enough yet to remove them. If the finish was all swirled up and now you removed the superficial swirls the remaining scratches are more visually prominent because they are no longer camouflaged by the swirls.

I'd be going after those scratches with the most aggressive compound and pad that you have available until they are removed... Assuming they are removable... Only you can make that determination.

Then once the scratches are removed, polish the entire panel using your finishing products and pads.
    I see that a lot at work. The other Detailer has a habit of running an aggressive combo that doesn't remove the defects, but leaves terrible da haze.

It's not fun working with him, mostly becaise he "knows everything".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I see that a lot at work. The other Detailer has a habit of running an aggressive combo that doesn't remove the defects, but leaves terrible da haze.

It's not fun working with him, mostly becaise he "knows everything".
    Dan, sounds like the other detailer needs a "Rude Awakening"
    CHRIS Aka Waxmaster

6. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@OP, as I’m reading your post I see you’re in SF. I’m in Alameda but am in SF almost every weekend to detail. I have a few MF’s if you’d like to try a few different options.

8. Likes Coatingsarecrack, dgage, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    @OP, as I’m reading your post I see you’re in SF. I’m in Alameda but am in SF almost every weekend to detail. I have a few MF’s if you’d like to try a few different options.
    Few……Having trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paintHaving trouble with hard black paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes fly07sti, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Dan, sounds like the other detailer needs a "Rude Awakening"
    Haha!

He does!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Appreciate the generosity! I pulled the trigger on some edgeless 300 in hopes it can work with coat leveling and polish removal. Now I’m waiting for a few more things to come in before starting the project.

I’ll defeinitely give you a PM if I ever feel like I want to check out some MF towels!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToroInu View Post
    Appreciate the generosity! I pulled the trigger on some edgeless 300 in hopes it can work with coat leveling and polish removal. Now I’m waiting for a few more things to come in before starting the project.

I’ll defeinitely give you a PM if I ever feel like I want to check out some MF towels!
    There are several of us who are in the bay area. Years ago .... we met up and actually had a mini detail fest. We all brought our own tools and products to work on a project car. Everyone gets to try out the many different tools, pads, and liquids. It was lots of fun.

It would be great if we can do that again someday...

BTW... I feel your pain on soft german paint. I had a jet black 3 series that was that way. Out of that experience, I since have various dedicated polish removal, final wipe, and coating removal towels. I also want to say that some finicky paint systems simply dont like certain actions of the polishers. I ran in to situations where I couldn't finish down with a long stroke or a gear driven DA and had to use a rotary to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    There are several of us who are in the bay area. Years ago .... we met up and actually had a mini detail fest. We all brought our own tools and products to work on a project car. Everyone gets to try out the many different tools, pads, and liquids. It was lots of fun.

It would be great if we can do that again someday...

BTW... I feel your pain on soft german paint. I had a jet black 3 series that was that way. Out of that experience, I since have various dedicated polish removal, final wipe, and coating removal towels. I also want to say that some finicky paint systems simply dont like certain actions of the polishers. I ran in to situations where I couldn't finish down with a long stroke or a gear driven DA and had to use a rotary to do it.
    That sounds pretty cool but times are different now. Hopefully things start going back to "normal" soon!

I've always thought Audis had hard paint so didn't think too much about towel marring. Now thinking back when I first corrected the car, Ultimate compound really did the job but it was just me having aggressive wipe off/Gyeon prep wipes caused marring. I should've known it was the MF towels when I realized the marring was moving after each pass. But to my newbie self, I thought it was the pads marring. When I finally got rid of the marring with the edgeless MF towels, I felt like I just won the lottery!

Now im just patiently waiting for my 5in and 3in pads to come from Autogeek and a non rainy day here in SF to get the project started.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567