autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I being unrealistic? Remaining scratches after professional detail

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    For $3400 I'd have considered repainting it for ya.
    Exactly!

$4,000 and no color change would get a miada a pretty nice paint job
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like eldo…. It’s done money is in the till. I do feel that as budget said…. Paint preservation over looks leaves alot to be interpreted.

If he is a high end detailer there should have been more conversation instead of just powering it out.

He should have let you make the decisions before coating if that was acceptable in the name of paint preservation.

And I would definitely be having jim re PPF’ing the hood. You asked for a service and it didn’t get done. I’m thinking he may have had someone at the shop do it and forgot. That you can definitely put on him. If he really had tried I doubt he would not have called you stating as such.

Mistakes happen. If he fixes them fine. I ‘d get a second opinion on polishing area. Someone who can look at it in real life. He may be telling the truth on that.

As for pricing does seem on the high end but you chose “one of the best around” unfortunately he did not perform as such.

Around here that full frontal would be $1400-2000. Depends on if it had to be freehand or if there was a pattern he could download as for polishing and coating, well what coating did he apply. If it was a pro only coating with only coating 2/3 of the car i would guess $600-1000.

Basing that he is charging on the high end and everyone has a “covid” charge $3400 seems easily attainable for “one of the best” detailers in Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Although the remaining swirls/scratches wouldn't make me happy at least they are a relatively easy fix...

But I'd be going ballistic over the PPF applied over the rock chips that were supposed to be touched up first. That's not as easy of a fix.

Post Thanks / Like

"One of the best in Houston"....after looking at those pics I just can't justify the use of the word B E S T, sorryAm I being unrealistic? Remaining scratches after professional detail

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Curious as to which brand film did you choose?

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to start a thread on a situation like this, but from the other perspective.

My issue is that the shop where I part time, put out some true garbage work last week.

That price is what we would charge for PPF on just the front section (bumper, hood, fenders) - without any polishing/coating. We get about $1500.00 For correction/coatings.

Our "lead detailer" often takes it upon himself to decide what the customer gets. For instance, if a car comes in with car wash brush damage, he refuses to do a full correction, and usually finish polishes with Meguiar's D166 Polishing Wax. Trust me when I say Eraser doesn't remove it.

Both him and the new kid (who likes to purposely damage out equipment and stand on the hoods and roofs of large vehicles - yes, in his shoes) refuse to cut, polish, or coat roofs of trucks and suv's.

Last week they did an Audi R8. The caps for the license plate screws wouldn't stay on, so this idiot super glues them on... dripping it on the license plate frame and bumper. He successfully removed it from the paint with aerosol Goof Off, but it smeared the frame, and discolored the pebble textured plate base holder.... I actuallybtexted the owner of the shop yesterday to check the plate...

It's always been bad with this guy. We used to be really good friends. I've posted about us working together for the past few years, but since he got me the part time gig there he turned on me when the owner started designating me to do the hard/special paint corrections.

The new kid was promising, but his lack of respect for our personal belongings, customer vehicles, and stealing product has proven a liability. This has furthered the apathy of the lead detailer.

I guess my point is that regardless of how highly regarded a shop might be, they are at the mercy of the whims of their crew. The facility is gorgeous, the clientele is high end, the accounts are prestigious, but my sorry ass excuse for detailing is of higher quality than what these clowns are sending. I would expect better from a car wash wax job than these two.

The problem is that the owner can't find people to work. That kid started at $15.00/hr and spends more effort avoiding work (hiding on his phone, hour long bathroom breaks also with his phone) and doesn't believe that's enough to do paint corrections...

So... I feel for the plight of the O.P. but sometimes finding a local enthusiast might be a better bet than a "pro" shop.

This has been bothering me since Thursday. I mean, I was almost done cutting the Yukon when the "lead" detailer started washing it. I wasn't able to finish polish it. I used 3D ONE so there wasn't any dust, but since he gets dust everywhere he washes every car before coating.. I took my lunch when he started washing it. By the time I got back he and the kid had already started coating it. For some reason "lead" guy doesn't believe in using the the filtered, spot free rinse water, and they coated over the beautiful water spots he left.

It's a clown show.

Track record > reputation.

I'm as disgusted with what happened to you as I am with these shop clowns I've been working with.

I may change the nature of my association with this facility and come in as an independent contractor, with the condition that those two don't touch my cars until it's time to coat them.

8. Thanks BudgetPlan1, John U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^Great points and perspective.

10. Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask for his PTG readings on the questionable areas before and after. See if he stutters or has an answer. That'll tell you a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I have an update on that situation.

Great news!

The kid was released from his position after:
    1. Vanishing for over an hour, after leaving the lead Detailer to coat a vehicle by himself.
    2. Leaving a degrading note in the vehicle of a young female client. Thankfully it was spotted by management, and removed.
    3. Doing burnouts (with his car this time) behind the facility.

Not all days were this wild, but it was becoming more common.

He may have taken hundreds of dollars worth of products as well.

The other guy is acting like he got a talking to from management, or he may have had a change of heart?

Good news is that we're back to turning out great work, and everyone is firing on all cylinders.

13. Likes BudgetPlan1, John U, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I have an update on that situation.

Great news!

The kid was released from his position after:
    1. Vanishing for over an hour, after leaving the lead Detailer to coat a vehicle by himself.
    2. Leaving a degrading note in the vehicle of a young female client. Thankfully it was spotted by management, and removed.
    3. Doing burnouts (with his car this time) behind the facility.

Not all days were this wild, but it was becoming more common.

He may have taken hundreds of dollars worth of products as well.

The other guy is acting like he got a talking to from management, or he may have had a change of heart?

Good news is that we're back to turning out great work, and everyone is firing on all cylinders.

15. Likes BudgetPlan1, seabiscut88 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234