autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buy a ipa or make it?

If your going to mix your own, I would highly recommend using distilled water.

2. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting, I was just trying to find an MSDS for Carpro Eraser to see what the majority of the mix was

I picked that brand at random, but was unable to find an MSDS on line

What I did find was that their website talked about how it's an excellent glass cleaner as well as a few other miscellaneous tasks BESIDES paint prep

What I find interesting is I have seen Mike Phillips use Sonax Glass Cleaner as a final paint wipe prior to applying a sealant or coating for several product reviews (303 Graphene among others)

The first time I read it I thought it was a typo but I have seen him use it more than once

You have to wonder what makes a spray bottle of "paint prep" worth sooooo much more money than an equivalent size bottle of glass cleaner if they are interchangeable

I mix isopropyl and distilled water to Brian of Apex's formula which varies depending on the strength % of the base alcohol

I have not found the need for added color or cool smells to prep a panel for an LSP

If there was a local source of a panel spray that wasn't $25 a pint I might do a comparison but there isn't so I will be dumb and happy and keep using my homemade IPA mix

Maybe I should add a drop of food coloring and really be posh...

4. Likes Bosko, Rsurfer, jcdata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    This is interesting, I was just trying to find an MSDS for Carpro Eraser to see what the majority of the mix was

I picked that brand at random, but was unable to find an MSDS on line

What I did find was that their website talked about how it's an excellent glass cleaner as well as a few other miscellaneous tasks BESIDES paint prep

What I find interesting is I have seen Mike Phillips use Sonax Glass Cleaner as a final paint wipe prior to applying a sealant or coating for several product reviews (303 Graphene among others)

The first time I read it I thought it was a typo but I have seen him use it more than once

You have to wonder what makes a spray bottle of "paint prep" worth sooooo much more money than an equivalent size bottle of glass cleaner if they are interchangeable

I mix isopropyl and distilled water to Brian of Apex's formula which varies depending on the strength % of the base alcohol

I have not found the need for added color or cool smells to prep a panel for an LSP

If there was a local source of a panel spray that wasn't $25 a pint I might do a comparison but there isn't so I will be dumb and happy and keep using my homemade IPA mix

Maybe I should add a drop of food coloring and really be posh...
    And maybe a drop or two of your wife's expensive perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    And maybe a drop or two of your wife's expensive perfume.
    You trying to get me hurted?

Post Thanks / Like

If you’re working on your own vehicle, use whatever you want. For me when I ceramic coating a customers vehicle, I use the manufacture paint prep. Also mentioned earlier, using something like Eraser on soft paint is much nicer than a home brew IPA mixture.

8. Likes chilly, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Bobby and Fly in that if coating use a panel prep. I find it does wipe easier than IPA.

A paint prep may not be be better but definitely can’t be worse. You use about half a bottle for a car. If your coating something for a year to two years i’ll pay the extra $7.

For waxes or sealants go ahead and use the IpA mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes chilly, Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    If you’re working on your own vehicle, use whatever you want. For me when I ceramic coating a customers vehicle, I use the manufacture paint prep. Also mentioned earlier, using something like Eraser on soft paint is much nicer than a home brew IPA mixture.
    I totally agree. I find most adhesion issues could be avoided by just simply use the coating manufacture's paint prep. I find IPA solution to be a bit grabby and like others had said... this might be problematic for stupid soft sticky paint since it might cause towel marings.

12. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used CarPro Eraser for years, it also doubles as a glass cleaner from time to time as well.

As for whether a dedicated panel wipe is better than a home-made IPA, this text from the AG store expands on why Eraser is better than an IPA -

"IPAs lift oil and dust, but they can be redeposited as you wipe the paint................Eraser goes a step farther with an intense cleaner that dissolves oil. It also attracts the dust left by compounding. When you wipe down your vehicle with Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser, you’re removing oils, fillers, and dust completely...................Eraser also has anti-static components to resist dusting after wiping. The paint will stay dust-free while you’re in the process of applying Cquartz so you don’t have to keep re-cleaning."

14. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mix your own.

I have always used windex and have coated A LOT of vehicles with no issues.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

16. Likes chilly, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Mix your own.

I have always used windex and have coated A LOT of vehicles with no issues.

Straight ?

18. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast