autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seriously?! My rant about "soft" black paint

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    I would think that a coating would add " toughness"
    It does to an extent, but it’s not in the same realm as PPF when it comes to resilience.

2. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BMW non-metallic black paint (jet black) is the softest paint I have ever encountered. Literally looking at it the wrong way will scratch it. I've seen cars that are a year or two old that look like they've been washed with a straw broom for the past 10 years. It's bad. I feel for you because I know that it would drive me absolutely crazy.

BMW metallic black (sapphire black) is harder in comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a jet black BMW as well.... I feel your pain. It would scratch if I sneeze on it too hard. Sprinkler water spots and bird bombs were the worst.

Post Thanks / Like

My Camaro is black, and I've tried to school myself over the years that it is a 9 y/o daily driver with over 150,000 miles and that no matter how "bad" it looks (to me), it is still lightyears better than 99% of other cars with similar usage/miles. Did it work? Sort of. But it still triggers my OCD when I see an "imperfect" spot.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

6. Likes Rod73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    My Camaro is black, and I've tried to school myself over the years that it is a 9 y/o daily driver with over 150,000 miles and that no matter how "bad" it looks (to me), it is still lightyears better than 99% of other cars with similar usage/miles. Did it work? Sort of. But it still triggers my OCD when I see an "imperfect" spot.
    LOL....I hear ya

Imagine how I feel when my '21 trail boss with 8000 miles ends up like this....I have a full time job working on my truck.
    Good thing I'm retired...

Post Thanks / Like

Might be confirmation bias, but sounds like I’m at least not alone in believing my car has extremely easy to scratch paint. Since that’s the case, I feel like my gut instinct not to waste $$$ on ceramic coatings is validated… I’d much rather use a one-step or all-in-one every 6 months than ceramic coat it every couple years with the intention of not polishing it in between ceramic coatings.

With the paint being as soft as it is, it should be easier to take care of swirls and love marks with a product such as a one-step, rather than resorting to a more traditional compound, then polish… at least in theory, and as long as the one-step finishes down well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post
    Might be confirmation bias, but sounds like I’m at least not alone in believing my car has extremely easy to scratch paint. Since that’s the case, I feel like my gut instinct not to waste $$$ on ceramic coatings is validated… I’d much rather use a one-step or all-in-one every 6 months than ceramic coat it every couple years with the intention of not polishing it in between ceramic coatings.

With the paint being as soft as it is, it should be easier to take care of swirls and love marks with a product such as a one-step, rather than resorting to a more traditional compound, then polish… at least in theory, and as long as the one-step finishes down well.

Your vehicle would clean up a hell of a lot easier when washed if it were coated in turn leaving less maring and light scratches.

You would be far better off in the winter with touchless car washes if it were coated
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

10. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Your vehicle would clean up a hell of a lot easier when washed if it were coated in turn leaving less maring and light scratches.

You would be far better off in the winter with touchless car washes if it were coated
    While I know they are very different products, I do have a fresh coat of Meg’s HCW on the car (with Meg’s ULW as a base) in preparation for winter. It definitely beads water like crazy (99% dry with a leaf blower, compared to maybe 70% dry with just ULW), and I have noticed much less dust/road-film accumulation since applying. I don’t have any firsthand experience with a true ceramic coating though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black ride as well, and have had Dynoshield with ceramic coating on top. Let me tell you, my black car woes are pretty much gone. I have only had black cars for the past 35 years or so, and no matter what make (GM, Ford, and now Audi), I would likely have scratched/swirled the heck out of the clear with the softest of touch.

Knowing this would happen to a brand new ride, my whole car is PPF treated and ceramic coated. Definitely worth the investment as I was also tired of chasing the swirls/scratches. Maintenance is a breeze now.

13. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously?! My rant about "soft" black paint

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
    I have a black ride as well, and have had Dynoshield with ceramic coating on top. Let me tell you, my black car woes are pretty much gone. I have only had black cars for the past 35 years or so, and no matter what make (GM, Ford, and now Audi), I would likely have scratched/swirled the heck out of the clear with the softest of touch.

Knowing this would happen to a brand new ride, my whole car is PPF treated and ceramic coated. Definitely worth the investment as I was also tired of chasing the swirls/scratches. Maintenance is a breeze now.
    To me the prices are just outrageous for PPF installation. I understand why they are high, but I can’t justify paying that myself. I think I’d rather one-step my car every 6 months or so.

Perhaps later in life when I have more disposable income I will go the PPF route.

Any photo albums of your new Audi?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast