autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Front scratches from minor fendor bender any tips?

So i got little scuffle and having body mechanic replace whole bumper seems like 500 deductible waste and goes to my record when resale and wondering what are my options for this?

I got dr color chip and cor matching but I dont think it will help the scratches that are hairlike.

Do i go with the lanka system for the hairline scratches? I dont really like dealer touchip or the pen type. Any help would be great. Ill check youtube too. But lot of experts here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Front scratches from minor fendor bender any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    So i got little scuffle and having body mechanic replace whole bumper seems like 500 deductible waste and goes to my record when resale and wondering what are my options for this?

I got dr color chip and cor matching but I dont think it will help the scratches that are hairlike.

Do i go with the lanka system for the hairline scratches? I dont really like dealer touchip or the pen type. Any help would be great. Ill check youtube too. But lot of experts here!

Post Thanks / Like

I would get aggressive with the polisher and then re evaluate the condition...looks like maybe a decent portion can be improved from the pic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    I would get aggressive with the polisher and then re evaluate the condition...looks like maybe a decent portion can be improved from the pic
    with Bosko..buff out what you can. Why do you feel that Dr. Color Chip will not work on the fine scratches?

5. Likes Bosko, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    with Bosko..buff out what you can. Why do you feel that Dr. Color Chip will not work on the fine scratches?
    When you mean hard polish do you mean like a more abrasive pad along with a more cutting polisher? As for the Dr. color chip I was told that it doesn’t really Bond well with lighter scratches as it will eventually flake off. But back to the aggressive polisher do you have any recommendations as I have a dual polisher and if you can recommend a pad ill try that

Post Thanks / Like

When you mean hard polish do you mean like a more abrasive pad along with a more cutting polisher? As for the Dr. color chip I was told that it doesn’t really Bond well with lighter scratches as it will eventually flake off. But back to the aggressive polisher do you have any recommendations as I have a dual polisher and if you can recommend a pad ill try that

You need to be careful when polishing bumpers as the paint is soft and they add a flexing agent to the paint which makes it easy to burn through.

Start with a polishing pad and medium polish and move up to a compound and pad if needed. Again go easy as the paint on bumpers are super soft.

8. Likes PaulMys, chilly, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    You need to be careful when polishing bumpers as the paint is soft and they add a flexing agent to the paint which makes it easy to burn through.

Start with a polishing pad and medium polish and move up to a compound and pad if needed. Again go easy as the paint on bumpers are super soft.
    100%

And most modern cars have painted plastic bumpers on the front. Plastic heats up WAY quicker than metal, and you can easily make a bad situation worse.

You can try any pad/product combo, but "leaning into" the machine would be ill-advised. Just go easy and let the product(s) do the work while checking the pad temperatures often. JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Rsurfer, chilly, Desertnate, Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do i go with the lanka system for the hairline scratches? I dont really like dealer touchip or the pen type.
    The Langka kit is my preferred method of dealing with rock chips but I have never tried it on long scratches like that so no clue on adhesion

Just throwing that out there

Post Thanks / Like

Like already mentioned, you can probably polish out most of the damage and even the really deep scratches will look far less noticeable.

A few years ago my father-in-law parked too near the garage door and it scraped the tailgate on his truck as it closed. He was ready to do a re-paint, but after I polished it out, there was so little noticeable damage, he left it alone. Hopefully you can get similar results or at least down to the point touch-up paint will take care of it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On some plastics, the color is molded in, not painted on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast