autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: best wax/sealant for very wet winters?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Down in WA so very similar weather conditions. If you don’t mind spending the miney Polish Angel Cosmic will get you thorugh the winter but the stuff is spendy.
    I can't see any reason to spend the money on PA products. After trying several I just don't get they hype. No question their marketing and packaging are very good. They products are fine, but are wildly overpriced relative to other products that are as good or better.

Several good products mentioned in this thread. They all need some time to cure in a relatively warm and dry place. Typically 12 hours for sealants before they can get wet and 1 day for coatings. Do you have warm, dry place to apply these?

I'm down the coast from you in Portland. When I can, I like to apply something that will get me through the Winter in late September or early October when the weather is still good and warm enough to let products cure. PNS is an excellent product and I get about 6 months of water sheeting from it. Very easy to apply.

The paste waxes like FK 1000P and Collinite will go about 9 months, maybe a little longer. Moe more effort to apply, but not bad. Coatings will last longer but have other issues and I don't recommend them in very wet environments like ours. Some can also be tricky to apply. They are also an option.

I replied in another thread earlier tonight that some other easier to apply products will go 6 months, similar to PNS.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I can't see any reason to spend the money on PA products. After trying several I just don't get it. No question their marketing and packaging are very good.

Several good products mentioned here. But they all need some time to cure in a relatively warm and dry place. Can you get that now? I'm down the coast from you in Portland. When I can, I like to apply something that will get me through the Winter in late September or early October when the weather is still good and warm enough to let products cure. PNS is an excellent product and I get about 6 months of water sheeting from it. Very easy to apply.

The paste waxes like FK 1000P and Collinite will go about 9 months. A little more effort to apply. Coatings will last longer but have other issues and I don't recommend them in very wet environments like yours. Some can be tricky to apply.

I was replying in another thread earlier tonight that some other easier to apply products will go 6 months similar to PNS.
    You are one of the few who say PNS is easy to apply. The water behavior is close but not as good as PA. My 500ml of Cosmic has lasted my 2 years.

If you say PNS is easy to appy then PA mist apply and remove it self. I’m sure everything you’ve mention has good protection but other than PNS nothing comes close in water behavior.

Does that make it better…. Not sure but break down the cost of Cosmic spritz over 3 years ($33 a year) is worth it for the easiest application, removal and water behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You are one of the few who say PNS is easy to apply. The water behavior is close but not as good as PA. My 500ml of Cosmic has lasted my 2 years.

If you say PNS is easy to appy then PA mist apply and remove it self. I’m sure everything you’ve mention has good protection but other than PNS nothing comes close in water behavior.

Does that make it better…. Not sure but break down the cost of Cosmic spritz over 3 years ($33 a year) is worth it for the easiest application, removal and water behavior.

Not sure what you mean by "water behavior." Beading? I don't measure beading when I test products. I haven't found a good way to measure quickly and objectively, and I don't know what the difference tells me. I get that it's important to a lot of people.

I do measure sheeting by seeing how quickly water is shed from a panel. I also measure longevity. A product that will shed water from a panel in 1 second for 6 months tells me the product is still doing what it should for that duration. The best products I've tested all so hydrophobic that water essentially disappears instantly. They all start to slow down over time and take progressively longer for water to disappear. Others have different product criteria. They're all valid. I just do what I do.

I'm not trying to disparage a product you like. Just trying to share the info I have. PA products are good, but tend to be 5-10x more expensive than product that perform similarly in my tests. They may perform better in other ways I'm not aware of and not measuring.

I'm not aware of any issues applying PNS. You wipe it on and wipe it off. It takes a little longer than a spray on and wipe off product. Maybe an extra 5-10 mins per vehicle? There also products like Optimum OptiSeal that are wipe on and walk away. Really doesn't get any easier than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "water behavior." Beading? I don't measure beading when I test products. I haven't found a good way to measure quickly and objectively, and I don't know what the difference tells me. I get that it's important to a lot of people.

I do measure sheeting by seeing how quickly water is shed from a panel. I also measure longevity. A product that will shed water from a panel in 1 second for 6 months tells me the product is still doing what it should for that duration. The best products I've tested all so hydrophobic that water essentially disappears instantly. They all start to slow down over time and take progressively longer for water to disappear. Others have different product criteria. They're all valid. I just do what I do.

I'm not trying to disparage a product you like. Just trying to share the info I have. PA products are good, but tend to be 5-10x more expensive than product that perform similarly in my tests. They may perform better in other ways I'm not aware of and not measuring.

I'm not aware of any issues applying PNS. You wipe it on and wipe it off. It takes a little longer than a spray on and wipe off product. Maybe an extra 5-10 mins per vehicle? There also products like Optimum OptiSeal that are wipe on and walk away. Really doesn't get any easier than that.
    Water behavior is both beading and sheeting. The best (coatings) will bead and then roll off. A bead in it self is just a water spot waiting to happen. Grat products have high contact angles to where the beads roll off the paint.

5. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Water behavior is both beading and sheeting. The best (coatings) will bead and then roll off. A bead in it self is just a water spot waiting to happen. Grat products have high contact angles to where the beads roll off the paint.

I get it. I want the water to fly off my car. PA products do this. In my experience, many others do this as well or better for far less money.

Collinite, FK 1000P, and several others shed water immediately and have much better longevity than the PA products and most others. You can check my spreadsheet to see my results if interested.

7. Likes Vegas1 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123