autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Care car research

I appreciate what you're trying to do. I've tested a lot of paint sealants and a few coatings. They all work. Some last longer. I haven't found one that magically makes dirt disappear from my car. The guys trying to sell us on the angle thing don't account for the fact that road grime hitting your car at 55-75 MPH doesn't give a crap - it's going to stick. Splashed on mud and leaf debris is going to stick.

Nothing I've tried keeps the car much cleaner nor makes it noticeably easier to clean. Mud and road grime still stick in the winter. Pollen and dust still stick in the spring and summer. Does a car with a fresh coat of sealant or coating clean more easily? Yes, but not significantly. If that magic product existed all the pros here would be selling it to their customers and we would be reading about it.

And let's say you do get a 90 degree product. How long does it stay at 90 degrees?
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Care car research

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I appreciate what you're trying to do. I've tested a lot of paint sealants and a few coatings. They all work. Some last longer. I haven't found one that magically makes dirt disappear from my car. The guys trying to sell us on the angle thing don't account for the fact that road grime hitting your car at 55-75 MPH doesn't give a crap - it's going to stick. Splashed on mud and leaf debris is going to stick.

Nothing I've tried keeps the car much cleaner nor makes it noticeably easier to clean. Mud and road grime still stick in the winter. Pollen and dust still stick in the spring and summer. Does a car with a fresh coat of sealant or coating clean more easily? Yes, but not significantly. If that magic product existed all the pros here would be selling it to their customers and we would be reading about it.

And let's say you do get a 90 degree product. How long does it stay at 90 degrees?
    Thanks! What I got from the experiment was that the best products only give us 60 degree contact angles. Its still a lot better than zero, lol. Companies should be pushing for 90 degrees, because once that happens, we will really see easier cleaning. Totally get what you are saying about dirt and snow sticking to the bottom half of a car in winter etc. A true 90 degrees coating would really help with that.

If there's one product where I believe it achieves 60-80 degrees, it's Rain X. However, I don't think they make any coating for paint. And with Rain X you have to keep applying it. But it definitely does what it says.

I just got in some new testing materials for a new experiment. Stay tuned. I think you guys will like it.
    My goal with these experiments is to really find the best way that is affordable to clean the paint without instilling micro scratches. I think I'm getting closer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123