autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum Protection

Fellas
    Looking to tap in here to all of the exp. on this board, I know there's a lot here--
    I am installing a long aluminum track exposed to outside elements including chlorine vapors possibly from our pool that is about 6-7 feet away at its closest point. Right now its all new and shiney and my goal is to keep it that way as long as possible-- I know it wont last forever or probably 8-10 yrs down the road but you get the idea here. What can I put on it to protect it from corroding? I dont need to polish it right now or anything like mothers alum. polish, I am satisfied as it is-- I just want to keep it / maintain it like new as long as I can. Would a coating work? , bond to it? I know it wont on the raised ribs where the doors roll on but how about the flat part base?
    Does anyone have any first hand exp. with dealing with alum. protection?Aluminum Protection-alumtrak-jpg
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum Protection

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Fellas
    Looking to tap in here to all of the exp. on this board, I know there's a lot here--
    I am installing a long aluminum track exposed to outside elements including chlorine vapors possibly from our pool that is about 6-7 feet away at its closest point. Right now its all new and shiney and my goal is to keep it that way as long as possible-- I know it wont last forever or probably 8-10 yrs down the road but you get the idea here. What can I put on it to protect it from corroding? I dont need to polish it right now or anything like mothers alum. polish, I am satisfied as it is-- I just want to keep it / maintain it like new as long as I can. Would a coating work? , bond to it? I know it wont on the raised ribs where the doors roll on but how about the flat part base?
    Does anyone have any first hand exp. with dealing with alum. protection?Aluminum Protection-alumtrak-jpg
    If Car Pro's Dlux will work on wheels, I don't see why it wouldn't work on your aluminum rails. Be sure to clean well with alcohol.

3. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Likes bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe consider having it clear powder coated

I am not sure about the proximity to the chlorine though, thats going to be tough one

5. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If Car Pro's Dlux will work on wheels, I don't see why it wouldn't work on your aluminum rails. Be sure to clean well with alcohol.
    I called CarPro and asked them if their coatings would stick / bond to the aluminum and the said yes, so unless I hear something better from the fellas here, I am most likely gonna put either UK 3.0 or SiC on them
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

7. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    I called CarPro and asked them if their coatings would stick / bond to the aluminum and the said yes, so unless I hear something better from the fellas here, I am most likely gonna put either UK 3.0 or SiC on them
    I'm sure 3.0 or SiC will work, but Dlux is a heavier coating and should last longer. Dlux is recommended for wheels.

9. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Dlux on my trim for a few years now-- its a pretty good product

Post Thanks / Like

Clear Cerakote. Drop it off at a dealer and 3 days later your set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

GYEON Q2 RIM. Made for wheels, lasts a long time and is super easy to use. I've done all our kitchen appliances with it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

14. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    GYEON Q2 RIM. Made for wheels, lasts a long time and is super easy to use. I've done all our kitchen appliances with it.
    How does it do on plastic chrome?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I’m going to try some Wolfgang Metal Sealant. I really wanted to try the Blackfire, but it only comes in 16oz. Everything points to both of them being the same product… We’ll see how long it lasts. It gets rave reviews except for 1 person who says it only lasts a couple of weeks. I’ll test it out on my chrome wheels and provide a detailed review.

17. Likes PaulMys liked this post