autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro SiC pointers?

For all the coaters that have used the new SiC coating I’m looking for any suggestions/pointers before I do my first vehicle with it. I’ve read a lot of positive accounts of how SiC looks and performs but I’ve also heard negatives about about how it flashes. I plan on doing a test spot and observing flash time for my dry climate and cooler temperatures (Colorado).

Are there any other differences compared to any other Carpro Consumer coatings(UK)?

Thanks AutoGeek forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpro SiC pointers?

Check out the video by car craft on YouTube. That will answer all your questions on how to figure out the flash time.

3. Likes Texchappy, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually just used this product on the door of my Golf.
    The car is fully coated with CSL and EXOV4, but my kid scratched the drivers door with his bicycle handle.
    I don't have any csl or exo left over and I didn't want to buy another kit.
    Went with the Carpro SiC because a) it was recommended and b) it came in a small bottle(10ml).

I compounded and polished the door to get as much of the scratch out (it's still there) and remove the csl/exo for a clean surface for the SiC to bond.
    I watched the car craft video on youtube that The Guz mentioned, but I'll admit, I didn't do all the steps.
    I applied a small section and kept a close eye on it. After about 7 minutes, I wiped it off and it looked good so I continued with the full door. I also did the 3 wipe method. First wipe to level, 2nd wipe with clean/dry side of towel to further refine and a 3rd side of the towel to make sure I didn't miss any and to make sure I didn't push any onto other panels.
    2 coats for me. Oh, I did wipe the door down with panel wipe before applying.

First wash was last weekend (2 weeks after application) and it looked good. Maybe slightly better beading/sheeting than the CSl/EXOV4 on the rear door, but that coating is about 1.5 years old, so it's not a direct comparison.

I still have probably 3/4 of the bottle left, so I have to figure out what to do with it. Maybe I'll coat the hood/roof on my Explorer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odrapnew View Post
    I still have probably 3/4 of the bottle left, so I have to figure out what to do with it. Maybe I'll coat the hood/roof on my Explorer.
    Use it on wheels. I've purchase those 10ml bottles of CarPro coatings in the past for the express purpose of coating wheels. Works great.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy’s,

I’ve watched the CarCraft YouTube video. I have also found those 10ml bottles and with a coupon I had it seemed like a great way to go if they last as long as the 30-50ml bottles as I can usually do a normal sedan with 15ml to spare on a 30ml bottle.

I was going to use it today but the coating on the guy’s car was still going strong and I couldn’t bring myself to polish of a good Coat of Kami ISM just because… Thankfully the guy was happy to be told that his coating still had life and is going to bring me his wife’s SUV to apply the SiC. It’s a BMW X3 so it’ll actually be more work.

Cheers

8. Likes The Guz liked this post