autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Very well said, you nailed my angst perfectly

Detail Kitty mentioned trades as well and although I am not familiar with that dynamic as it pertains to this forum I can imagine

I do know that postal rates are stupidly high and will be higher shortly so thinking about sending something you already paid for, possibly paid shipping for, to someone else with more shipping, who in turn pays shipping to get it to you, etc etc etc might be fun, but unless it is a high dollar item the economics don't pencil out, sadly, because I can see it being a fun exercise

No disrespect to the idea intended
    Huh, never thought about trades.... I can see that being nice and fun with someone local. But like you said. Pay for a product. Pay for shipping. Use it a little bit. Then pay to ship it again somewhere. It does sound like potentially poor economics.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Huh, never thought about trades.... I can see that being nice and fun with someone local. But like you said. Pay for a product. Pay for shipping. Use it a little bit. Then pay to ship it again somewhere. It does sound like potentially poor economics.
    There's a thread for that but it doesn't see that much activity lately:
    SAMPLES (original post updated)

Shipping can kill it for a sample of 1 product. If it was a few different products, it could make more sense.

4. Likes PouncingPanzer, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had quite an extensive trade/pay it forward thread over on sister site Autopia, went on for a year or 2. Wasn't bad when shipping was down near $7 to ship most normally sized things; that went up to near $12-$13 a year or so ago so it does start to add up now.

6. Likes chilly, PouncingPanzer, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well basically it was [mention]BudgetPlan1 [/mention] and [mention]The Guz [/mention] giving away things to random members.

Not only two great dudes who’s post help me out when I got started but just generally generous and nice guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks BudgetPlan1, The Guz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Well basically it was [mention]BudgetPlan1 [/mention] and [mention]The Guz [/mention] giving away things to random members.

Not only two great dudes who’s post help me out when I got started but just generally generous and nice guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love the idea myself. I would much rather give stuff to someone else to use/try than toss it.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

10. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done this in the past as well as somewhat recently and I encourage everyone to send something to someone if it looks like they wanna try something your not using anymore.

Don't do it for the karma but rather because it's the right thing to doWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others?? (trust me though, karma finds its way!)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

12. Likes chilly, PouncingPanzer, MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I've done this in the past as well as somewhat recently and I encourage everyone to send something to someone if it looks like they wanna try something your not using anymore.

Don't do it for the karma but rather because it's the right thing to doWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others?? (trust me though, karma finds its way!)

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea myself. I would much rather give stuff to someone else to use/try than toss it.
    The amount of stuff I bought between 2016 and 2019 was mind-bogglingly stupid in retrospect. Wanna try Menzerna? Well why not get 400,2400,3500 and 3800...all in 32oz bottles. Which pads to go with it? Well, lemme get 6 of each I *might* need. Closed cell, open cell, thick, thin. I was having a great time though so in the end, was worth every penny!

And it took me about 2 months to realize that most vendors have sales of some kind EVERY weekend so at first it was "Oh man, 20% off....I better get this stuff I may wanna try some time"...a marketers dream am I :lol:

15. Likes chilly, PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    The amount of stuff I bought between 2016 and 2019 was mind-bogglingly stupid in retrospect. Wanna try Menzerna? Well why not get 400,2400,3500 and 3800...all in 32oz bottles. Which pads to go with it? Well, lemme get 6 of each I *might* need. Closed cell, open cell, thick, thin. I was having a great time though so in the end, was worth every penny!

And it took me about 2 months to realize that most vendors have sales of some kind EVERY weekend so at first it was "Oh man, 20% off....I better get this stuff I may wanna try some time"...a marketers dream am I Why do you use the brands you do, & not others??
    You have it BAD, I need to save this and show it to my friends who think I have a problem! All kidding aside, do you and we won't judgeWhy do you use the brands you do, & not others??

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

17. Likes BudgetPlan1, PaulMys, Rod73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

And it took me about 2 months to realize that most vendors have sales of some kind EVERY weekend so at first it was "Oh man, 20% off....I better get this stuff I may wanna try some time"...a marketers dream am I :lol:

Been there done that

Still have P21s products from 15 years ago

Had a German car so had to have Euro products right?

I hoarded that stuff and tried to stretch it out as far as I could and just got tired of dealing with that

Enter Meguiars and other brands where I didn't freak if I accidentally poured in 2 extra tablespoons of shampoo

Walked away from the fancy stuff and many product's are still in storage

I did what you did with pads as well

Everyone said you need 6 of a kind and I didn't even try 1 to see if I needed it before buying

I just bought many many of the "select a 6 pack" in all sizes and colors and in doing so I overwhelmed myself and cause paralyzing moments when I couldn't decide what pad and product to try

I still have many of those pads I have never and probably will never use because I simply don't need every color of finishing and polishing and application pads

This is why over the years I gravitated to a core group of products I am comfortable with and rely on

I still get the "wow, I need that" moments but I generally resist

19. Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast