autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to clean exterior of windshield

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Here's a short blog I put out on my site a while back based on my experience and practice prepping and coating glass. The true key to success IMO/IME is getting the glass perfectly clean so water clings to it and doesn't bead. That means you've removed EVERYTHING and are down to virgin glass. I also am adamant about replacing wipers. As part of my process when customers pay for a window treatment, I build in replacement wiper inserts as part of the cost and replace them for them at the time of the detail.

Safe Driving Starts with Good Visibility
    Glass Coatings are a great alternative to OTC Rain-X or AquaPel products. The advantage they bring is a more consistent performance free of streaking and the length of time they last. On windshields coatings typically last 6-9 months with upwards of a year is not uncommon. The main point of degradation comes from wear and tear from wipers and the fact that the front of vehicles is constantly being pelted by contaminants that wear away at the protection.

Key to Success
    The key to successfully applying a glass coating lies within the preparation of the surface just as it does with paint coatings. Most all the complaints and issues I see with glass coatings can be traced back to improper preparation which leads to uneven application, thus wiper shudder, or a less than prepared surface that leads to contaminants still being present and again, causing wiper shudder or streaking. Lastly, if the glass isn’t prepared the product can not bond effectively thus it simply will not last.

Remove the Contaminants
    When preparing for glass coatings, start when washing your vehicle. Use glass clay or a synthetic clay-mitt to remove the surface contaminants such as dirt, grime, road film, tree sap, etc that will simply not be removed by washing alone. I prefer synthetic mitts simply because they are more effective and last longer. Do NOT use regular paint formulated clay as it will tend to get trapped in the microscopic pits of the glass and thus impeding proper bonding leading to the above noted issues. Once trapped, it’s also very difficult to remove.

Once the vehicle is cleaned and dried, the key then becomes getting down to the virgin glass under what still will be on there which includes timeless amounts of road film and sealants. If you notice the water isn’t “clinging” (see top right image) to the window as shown in this photo and instead is beading or leaving streaks of water, then it’s not ready to be coated. Once the glass is cleaned and water clings, it's so thick you can cut through it with a water blade and yet the surface tension will still hold the surrounding water in place. That's a good thing!

Attachment 74410

Attachment 74411

What’s next is to use a fine glass polish and a polishing pad specifically for glass. This will safely remove any remaining layers of film and open up the pores from pitting over time so that the product can fill in those marks and bond effectively leaving a fully level surface that is hydrophobic and super smooth. I like Adam’s Brand Fine Glass Polish and their corresponding glass pads. Adam’s is super easy to wipe off and again, unlike traditional polishes meant for paint, will not fill in the pores that are now exposed.

CarPro CeriGlass is another good alternative but overkill for coating applications and if not used in the hands of a skilled person will actually scour or scratch your windows, so consider your experience level and understanding of the product before attempting to use it.

Final Step
    Once the polishing is done and wiped away, I like to use denatured alcohol and some paint prep spray to give it a final once over to remove all traces of anything. From there, a final wipe down with a good window cleaner to leave a perfectly smooth and clean glass layer ready for your coating is all that’s needed. I like Stoner’s Invisible Glass as my go-to cleaner for both inside and outside of windows.

Now you’re all set and ready to apply your window coating of choice. Just be sure to follow their respective instructions closely and going forward, avoid using any detail sprays, waxes or sealants on the windshield portion of the vehicle with wipers as they can lead to shuddering or poor performance over time. On side windows, I’m okay with spraying them but here too, anything you apply to the glass will tend to overpower the properties of your glass coating thus leading to more beading vs sheeting.

Good luck and enjoy your now clear vision!
    Hi, thank you so much for this useful post and info!

I am on the Adam's site and cannot find their fine glass polish product, or the pads - any other brand you'd recommend that's fool proof (for me??)

I did find their clay mitt and will order that as well.

Silly question - with the clay process, would one still use a detailing spray as on paint, or something else?

And last one, because I may have missed it but re-read the post just now - which glass *coating* do you recommend after doing all this prep?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had my own method for years and was almost always foolproof (involved rubbing compound and polishing compound = very effective but time consuming). I was recently turned onto a much easier and quicker method = get some Magic Erasers (regular ones work great), spray the windshield with glass cleaner (serves as a lubricant and helps clean the windshield), I do some side-to-side and circular wiping (divide the windshield into 4ths and do a section at a time), once done with your cleaning wipe off with a clean microfiber towel before the window dries which is why I do the front windshield in sections. Works for all windows and mirrors including the inside but not recommended to use on windows with tinting or heated grids (inside rear window) to avoid damages. Doesn't take much longer than just using window cleaner and a microfiber towel but is so much better results.

3. Likes Big Dave, mattmann, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found P21s Paintwork Cleanser works fantastic on glass. I follow up with a paint prep.

Post Thanks / Like

I start out by using my car wash soapy solution and using a Mr. clean magic eraser. Then I use a clay bar with the afore mentioned mid of soapy solution as my lube-- no need to WASTE $ on clay lube or detail spray. For protection I use Aquapel, it does a fairly good job, lasts as long or longer than anything else I have tried. For a quick maint. I use the Sonax glass cleaner as I have several bottles on hand @ all times as it doubles in place of any product like CarPro eraser or geyon prep. Key here is to use a CarPro Glassfiber towel, best thing for glass out there. BUT as with any towel you use you have to keep using a clean section of the towel-- other wise your just smearing grime- your cleaning technique is the key to a crystal clear windshield / window
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

6. Thanks fju2112 thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Griots glass polishing system for a few years and it has worked very well. I start with a general cleaning with Stoners Invisible Glass. Then I use 000 steel wool along with Invisible Glass as a lube. Then another cleaning with Invisible Glass and a glass towel. The next step is clay bar. Then the Griots products come in. I use their Fine Glass Polish with a Rayon pad on the polisher. That seems to remove any water spots. Then another cleaning with Invisible Glass before the Griots Glass Sealant. Sometimes I will substitute Aquapel.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have the guts to use 000-- now I have on occasion used 0000 with good results but it has to be REAL BAD for me to break out the 0000 SW
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

10. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    I dont have the guts to use 000--
    That's because you don't live in Massachusetts. Those guys are wicked pissah brave!

(I kid, because I know Uncle Davy personally). If he says it works, and posts it here on AGO, then it works.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Thanks UncleDavy thanked for this post
    Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The best way to clean glass is to use the finest steel wool (#0000). You can polish as well. There is a video by Chris Fix that shows the process and works really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    I dont have the guts to use 000-- now I have on occasion used 0000 with good results but it has to be REAL BAD for me to break out the 0000 SW
    I only use the 000 steel wool if there is a lot of water spotting especially in the areas where the windshield wipers don't reach. The Invisible Glass makes a good lube for that process.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing. I was a mechanic in my hay day..
    Look at wiper blades to see if there at a 90 deg angle to the glass
    Turn on wipers and turn off key so you can see wipers in the middle of the wind shield.
    Twist the arm to make it so

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast