autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Take a look at this paint.

That's definitely clear coat failure, the type I always referred to as "Clearcoat Fracturing" where the clear seems to have become brittle, shrunken and cracks all over. This damage is seen often when a car is parked under trees long term and is subjected to a constant bombardment of acidic tree dirt. The question that comes to my mind though is, is the white looking haze we see, oxidation on top of the failed clear, or is it between the failed clear and the base coat? I've dealt with it both ways, so until you'd get the pad to the paint for some testing, you'll never know.

If it were topical oxidation, and could be buffed to some semblance of clarity, that car would be a perfect candidate for "Optimum Polymer Technologies CCR".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I sure hope that isn’t OEM paint as it looks like 10-15 year old Honda paint. And I agree it looks like clearcoat failure and incredibly bad for a 5-year old vehicle.
    Oddly enough I have a 17year old Honda & parts of the paint look exactly like that.
    Those who possess real knowledge are rare. Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still. The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    My '89 Coupe de Ville has cracked paint on the driver's door and AFAIK it's not a repaint. Maybe this is something Cadillac has always experienced sometimes.
    Nah, it wouldn't be a Caddy problem as the GM assembly plants source their paint ... Lansing, Arlington, Spring Hill, etc., could potentially all be using different suppliers at any given time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    Oddly enough I have a 17year old Honda & parts of the paint look exactly like that.
    I had a 12 year old at the time Acura TL that had failing clear coat and I had it repainted and it was a great repaint job and made the car look like new so I kept it several more years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123