autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claybar vs. Iron Remover 50/50 Test

Interesting write up! Thx!

Like a some others here, I don't always use an iron remover either... don't feel so bad.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see results like that. I assumed clay would pick up the things that are normally broken down by iron remover and it did. So that proves that iron remover is not a must but if used before claying, it makes the claying process easier and with less chances of marring, as others said above.

On a bigger job, that involves a coating, I think iron remover doesn't add much to the cost and just gives peace of mind while making the claying job easier.

On a smaller job, just a wax or sealant after a polish job, then I think leaving the iron remover out is probably fine to keep costs low.

For a coated car that needs a decontamination job, then iron remover is the way to go IMO. I wouldn't clay a coated car if I don't plan on polishing it and applying the coating again.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting results. Thanks!

I've always clayed and wondered if I'd gain anything by doing an iron removal too. This is helpful.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    Nice to see results like that. I assumed clay would pick up the things that are normally broken down by iron remover and it did. So that proves that iron remover is not a must but if used before claying, it makes the claying process easier and with less chances of marring, as others said above.

On a bigger job, that involves a coating, I think iron remover doesn't add much to the cost and just gives peace of mind while making the claying job easier.

On a smaller job, just a wax or sealant after a polish job, then I think leaving the iron remover out is probably fine to keep costs low.

For a coated car that needs a decontamination job, then iron remover is the way to go IMO. I wouldn't clay a coated car if I don't plan on polishing it and applying the coating again.

That's how I feel, I'd only use a iron remover on paint if I'm doing a decon.

If the paint is *so* neglected/trashed that I'm worried about marring from claying realistically it's going to need a compound anyways in which case any marring is moot. I'd probably reach for a degreaser before an iron remover for paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Claybar vs. Iron Remover 50/50 Test

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    That's how I feel, I'd only use a iron remover on paint if I'm doing a decon.
    What the heck is a “decon”? Lol.

Edit: Nevermind, I got my iced coffee.

6. Likes oneheadlite, NightDrive43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still learning the jargon so I have the same question. I assume "decon" is short for decontamination? If so, what does that mean in parlance? Chemical (iron removal) + mechanical (clay/synthetic equivalent) decontamination only without paint correction or protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
    If so, what does that mean in parlance? Chemical (iron removal) + mechanical (clay/synthetic equivalent) decontamination only without paint correction or protection?
    If you decontaminate, you won't have protection. You can decontaminate without correction, but you should protect.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand, he made it sound like decontaminates without doing anything else so I was curious why someone would do that.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant decontaminating a coated car when you're trying to refresh an existing coating. I generally don't clay unless I'm going to polish afterwards.

11. Thanks David Puddy thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got it-that makes sense. Thanks for educating me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast