autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear bra removal

So I’ve been harping on the GF to have her clear bra replaced. She got the car used and it had a cheap bra installed. It served it’s purpose protecting the paint but fogged up and started to peel up on the trailing edge.

I finally talked her into getting it done before this winter, so now it was my job to remove the old one .

Cloudy and peeling clear bra:
    Clear bra removal-ce8deff6-3e80-4efe-ba8a-62212e5c95f8-jpg

A heat gun and a slow peel removed the bra but left most of the adhesive behind:
    Clear bra removal-338a176e-b1d5-406e-a361-a03ec82dd3ee-jpg

Goo Gone and some elbow grease removed about 50% of the adhesive pretty easily. Then I broke out a microfiber pad and some Clearcut. It made quick work of the remaining adhesive, and finished out well on the hard VW paint.
    Clear bra removal-1b92df50-088f-4f3e-a04c-45a52e77d748-jpg
    Last edited by Epilogts; 09-04-2021 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Original pictures out of order

2. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear bra removal

Quote Originally Posted by Epilogts View Post
    So I’ve been harping on the GF to have her clear bra replaced. She got the car used and it had a cheap bra installed. It served it’s purpose protecting the paint but fogged up and started to peel up on the trailing edge.

I finally talked her into getting it done before this winter, so now it was my job to remove the old one .

A heat gun and a slow peel removed the bra but left most of the adhesive behind.
    Attachment 74286
    Goo Gone and some elbow grease removed about 50% of the adhesive pretty easily. Then I broke out a microfiber pad and some Clearcut. It made quick work of the remaining adhesive, and finished out well on the hard VW paint.

Attachment 74288
    The sequence threw me off a bit, it came out as an "after and before" instead of "before and after", I've noticed this lately myself, so I basically do one pic at a time since it wants to follow its own orderClear bra removal

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    The sequence threw me off a bit, it came out as an "after and before" instead of "before and after", I've noticed this lately myself, so I basically do one pic at a time since it wants to follow its own orderClear bra removal

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Yeah the pictures had a mind of their own, but I mostly had a problem with it not wanting to post the after picture.
    But it appears to be working now…

Post Thanks / Like

I have never removed any. I know a steamer is the preferred method of some. I wonder if steam would have worked better with the adhesive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also heard about using the steamer. With the steam I would think the risk of damaging the clearcoat might be slightly less, but as long a you’re careful with the heat gun I would think the end results would be the same.

The adhesive however came off remarkably easy with a little compound, I don’t think hitting it with the Goo Gone first was really necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

i hate removals ......you can peel the paint , and is a looooot of elbow grease.
    for removal i use boiling water and steamer. heatgun will take forever plus you can damage the paint.

for glue , i use plastic razor blades with rapid removal , and 3m adhesive removal( for this be careful with plastic and headlights - can bleach or stain / is a solvent)
    all followed by compound
    i had A partial hood removal that was all cracked and yellow , took me half day to remove....
    if you do remove ppf as a package , have a waiver signed so you are not liable for paint peeling also inform the client about the risk , also quote accordingly
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com