autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody use this once per year car polish anymore?

Nu Finish Soft Paste (or liquid) "The Once A Year Car Polish"?

I once had an 87 Pontiac STS (or STL...I forget) that I was pretty proud of and I used this product to protect my car. Little did i realize until about 4 years later that the paint had dried out and the paint became smeary and blotchy. I quickly found out the difference between a polish and a wax protectant by just visiting my local auto supply store and reading a good booklet published by Eagle One. I was hooked ever since and became a member of the Classic Car Care community which subsequently was purchased by Palm Beach Motoring Group.

Needless to say I'll never figure out how the Nu Finish line continues its staying power in the marketplace. I don't consider it wither a polish or a protectant despite it's claim as 'better than wax".

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anybody use this once per year car polish anymore?

Nu-finish is still sold in many grocery stores and drug stores, and it’s a polymer, it works pretty well. It is the exact same product as Rejex which has a higher clientele following. They were both inventted by the same person. Nothing wrong with this product, if the surface is prepped right and the product is applied correctly. By now though, there are many other products that are much easier to apply.

However, there is nothing , except a true ceramic coating, applied correctly, that lasts a year these days, in my opinion.
    Glen -

3. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    it works pretty well. It is the exact same product as Rejex which has a higher clientele following. They were both inventted by the same person.
    Well that’s very surprising, I didn’t know that…

Rejex is something I’ve always told myself not to forget about if I ever run out of stuff that works due to it no longer being available and everything that is available sucking…

Basically if armeggedon is within sight, that’s when I’ll remember to try Rejex, because it might actually be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure I've not used NuFinish since around 1999. I started using it on my bicycle when I was doing long distance tours and then used it for a few years on a car I bought in college. Back then, I new nothing beyond what I'd find on store shelves. I remember it being pretty durable, but it was streaky, hard to remove, and stained trim horribly.

Fortunately, I learned of Carnauba waxes a couple of years later and the rest is history. No way I'd touch that stuff again, even if I was forced to shop OTC products.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes Willbeen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried that product in over 20 years. I still see it being sold at the Auto Parts stores. When I moved down to Florida in 1998 I started attending car show events and getting more involved in the car culture. I was introduced to the Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and was blown away by the easy application and the results were amazing. A few years later I started to work for PBMG. The Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax is still one of my favorite carnauba waxes to work with after all these years.

The Blackfire One Step would be an excellent "once per year polish". I would top with a Paint Sealant for added protection.

8. Likes fly07sti, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It still performs well in online tests. When neighbors ask what to buy (meaning at Walmart) That's what I send them for. They want something to use NOW while they are motivated. The beach towels come out for wiping off and they are happy.

I never had a streaking issue. In the late 80's into the 90's I used it weekly after I cleaned off 5 days of highway bugs and road tar from my work traveling. On Monday I'd leave with a shiny car to do it all over again.

Post Thanks / Like

It's secret is the space age polymer formula.

Nu Finish Car Polish TV Commercial 1987 - YouTube
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem I had with NUfinish that it would dry white in cracks and on trim and was hard to remove if left on to long.

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a fun story about the origins of Rejex/new finish… It was invented to meet a certain requirement for operation desert storm and other locales in the Middle East. It was made to put on helicopter blades so they would not gather bugs or debris, and after it was in use, it was found to also leave a high gloss as well….and that’s when Ed, the inventor, turned it into a car product. He told me that story when I met him.
    Glen -

13. Likes chilly, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was detailing my 43’ Winnebago Tour a few years back and the last product I had used on the white gel coat (I assume) roof had left it chalky and dry in a matter of months

I contacted Winnebago and they said Rejex, period, end of story, and they are notorious for waffling on product recommendations that aren’t Winnebago branded

I tried it and was happy enough to use it every spring until we sold the coach

And by the way, if you ever want to trash an old Porter Cable, do one of these a few times…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes dgage, Eldorado2k liked this post