autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: More cut with AiO or stronger polish?

If the Genesis paint is anything like my black Hyundai i30 Nline it should be mid soft. I'd assume that they would probably use different/better paint than their Hyundai arm?

I had good success with the Lake Country Orange SDO pads and Scholls s20 and S30+. Swirls were minimal on mine so the S30+ finishing polish was enough to correct it and finish out.

For the more heavier defects in some parts i was able to get those with the S20 which is a medium compound. Some techniques with this polish did mar, so the paint was on the softer side.

Hope this helps.

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, nice car! haha

I do like the Genesis cars and the Genesis/Hyundai folk have come a long way and make some cracker cars.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

If i was going to polish a car with correction speed i would use 3D One on a medium pad. The only times i used an AIO was for a quick polish for some gloss.

I have soft paint and the AIO i have is gyeon primer, some say its not a true AIO, but anyhow it has a light cut and with a lake country orange pad on my G15 it never touch any swirls. 3D speed will cut more but not close to 3D one. You can use a medium polish like 3D one and a orange lake country ALOT on unpolished paint before you will ever have to worry about burning through. It overrated.

I love working with AIO's but i wouldn't use them for a 1-step paint enhancement. Thats my opinion. I'm not a professional howwver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    If the Genesis paint is anything like my black Hyundai i30 Nline it should be mid soft. I'd assume that they would probably use different/better paint than their Hyundai arm?

I had good success with the Lake Country Orange SDO pads and Scholls s20 and S30+. Swirls were minimal on mine so the S30+ finishing polish was enough to correct it and finish out.

For the more heavier defects in some parts i was able to get those with the S20 which is a medium compound. Some techniques with this polish did mar, so the paint was on the softer side.

Hope this helps.
    That's the cycle - I've heard everything from soft to mid to hard paint now! You're right though, you'd assume they would use a step up but all bets are off as they work out their brand launch kinks. Have enjoyed the car though - it packs a punch!

I haven't seen Scholls around the forums yet. I'll have to look into it. From my understanding, I don't believe anything I have would classify as heavier. Anything I can see on it is only if in the right sunlight or if I have the right combo of certain lighting in my garage. The orange pads have been added. Sounds like now I need to select something beyond the AiO.

Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    If i was going to polish a car with correction speed i would use 3D One on a medium pad. The only times i used an AIO was for a quick polish for some gloss.

I have soft paint and the AIO i have is gyeon primer, some say its not a true AIO, but anyhow it has a light cut and with a lake country orange pad on my G15 it never touch any swirls. 3D speed will cut more but not close to 3D one. You can use a medium polish like 3D one and a orange lake country ALOT on unpolished paint before you will ever have to worry about burning through. It overrated.

I love working with AIO's but i wouldn't use them for a 1-step paint enhancement. Thats my opinion. I'm not a professional howwver.
    Thank you! If I step it up to 3D One would you not go right to the orange pads to test first? Trying to do incremental steps to find the right combo but also new to machine polishing so maybe I'm worrying too much?

Post Thanks / Like

The only Genesis I've polished was my mother-in-laws white pearl G90 from two generations/facelifts ago. I remember the paint being on the soft side and was able to polish it up quite nicely using Griots One Step Sealant and white Lake Country Flat polishing pads.

I typically don't use AIO's, but it was appropriate for the time/purpose. I can't compare it to the 3D products, but the Griots does seem to have more cut than other AIOs I've tried.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes Uncbrs liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbrs View Post
    Thank you! If I step it up to 3D One would you not go right to the orange pads to test first? Trying to do incremental steps to find the right combo but also new to machine polishing so maybe I'm worrying too much?
    Sure you can try a softer pad. Me? I used to with the griots perfecting pad actually, it will give you great shine and its a nice flexible pad - the 2 i have are pretty worn so i have used them a lot.. But now i just grab my rupes yellow or lake country orange. These pads are not overly aggressive but usually get a decent amount of correction and they finish out great on my car.

Scholls S20 and 3D one i would imagine have similar cut and finish but i would "guess" 3D one might have a little more bite. Apparently, sonax perfect finish cuts better the S20 black but i'm unsure and 3D One does cut better then perfect finish in my personal experience.

Many medium polishes on the market. Lots of people like griots correcting cream as well but 3D One is more versatile in that it as a rather large cut to finish range. Put it on a cutting microfiber pad and you should be able to take out some relatively heavy defects on soft paint. I even used perfect finish the same way and got some deep scratches out with the very course white BOSS pad from griots.

10. Thanks Uncbrs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would explore the cut capabilities of what you're using and step it up to an orange pad.

What other polishes or light compounds do you have?

12. Likes fly07sti, PaulMys, robwoodgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ This. Try what you have before you buy something else. Or you’ll end up with a bunch of unused product. Try your orange pad with McKee’s AIO and see what that gets you. FWIW, McKee’s 360 has minimal cut IME.

14. Likes Uncbrs, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I would explore the cut capabilities of what you're using and step it up to an orange pad.

What other polishes or light compounds do you have?

I only have the McKee's AIO for now (except for a sample of the Wolfgang AiO as well). I may have some older stuff but talking really old. So at this point, if I am doing a change of the polish, I'll buy new. I did just order the orange pads so can check on how those help the McKee's AiO later this week.

If I buy a stronger polish I'm thinking I could step back on the pad then but I can check on the orange pads with McKee's first.

I appreciate all the input. It's kind of a catch-22 to have to buy things to test but need new or different things after testing but not buy too much.

16. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast