autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers Carnauba paste wax stuck all over car, why?

I was wrong it's Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Whit,

Thanks for getting back to us with more details by email.

I believe because of the age of the can, it may have dried a little faster on the surface, and that's why this time you used it, you had trouble removing some of the "dry to a haze" residue. It could also be simply weather-related, and if you let this dry too long, it is indeed hard to remove.

Finding that "sweet spot" of when to remove can be tricky, but a little swipe of a finger and if it removes easily, it's ready; if it still smears, it needs a few more minutes.

A fresh can is on its way to you!
    Mothers Polish
    Customer Service & Technical Support
    jimd@mothers_dot_com

3. Thanks witrick thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by witrick View Post
    I was wrong it's Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax
    I have used the liquid version of their cleaner wax, and one time many years ago I simply applied with a buffer across the entire vehicle and then I went back and started to remove the product.... let me tell you that I won't be doing it like that again with this product. I had the same experience.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    I have used the liquid version of their cleaner wax, and one time many years ago I simply applied with a buffer across the entire vehicle and then I went back and started to remove the product.... let me tell you that I won't be doing it like that again with this product. I had the same experience.
    I always suggest you follow the directions and apply to a small area at a time. Maybe even a body panel. The entire vehicle at once with a carnauba product? That wasn't the product's fault. Sorry.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question if I want to try this again, how many washes do you need to wear some of the wax off before you should try waxing again? Maybe I try it again and see if I get the same thing?

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question if I want to try this again, how many washes do you need to wear some of the wax off before you should try waxing again? Maybe I try it again and see if I get the same thing?
    Since you mentioned in your original post you had clayed, you’re good to go to apply wax. Apply a thin coat with an appropriate applicator to an area about 1/4th the size of the hood. It should haze up, not turn white. White would mean you’ve over-applied. The cleaners in it will remove any wax you’ve applied prior. It’ll take just a minute for it to haze.

Remove with a microfiber towel, turning it over frequently.

See how that works.

8. Likes witrick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    I always suggest you follow the directions and apply to a small area at a time. Maybe even a body panel. The entire vehicle at once with a carnauba product? That wasn't the product's fault. Sorry.
    You misinterpreted my post completely. I never once complained about the product in any way. With all due respect, re-read my post. Cheers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay I tried this again doing as recommended, thin coat, small area, car cool in garage in morning. Fist thing my Passat is white so checking for haze is a bit tricky. Easier on my gray metallic Titan truck. Anyway I did the smear test, waited until I was sure it was dry and buffed. It came off a bit easier but it still was some effort the remove all of it. It seems even when dry it leaves a smudgy spot or two that goes away with harder buffing. Looking forward to trying out the products coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I tried this again doing as recommended, thin coat, small area, car cool in garage in morning. Fist thing my Passat is white so checking for haze is a bit tricky. Easier on my gray metallic Titan truck. Anyway I did the smear test, waited until I was sure it was dry and buffed. It came off a bit easier but it still was some effort the remove all of it. It seems even when dry it leaves a smudgy spot or two that goes away with harder buffing. Looking forward to trying out the products coming.
    As I might not have made clear in our emails, that can should be disposed of -- it is over 5 years old -- hence, why I'm sending you a fresh can.

Granted, I don't normally replace 5-year old product, but we wanted to help a dedicated customer who was having a problem.

Your replacement can is due via UPS Wednesday.

Thanks again for using Mothers!
    Mothers Polish
    Customer Service & Technical Support
    jimd@mothers_dot_com

12. Likes DUBL0WS6, vobro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When a product's directions say to "apply THIN", they mean it. I mean thinner than you can maybe imagine. (Not trying to insult your intelligence).

I use Collinite products, and once my applicator pad is primed, it takes about one drop of 845 (liquid) to cover a 2'x2' area. And one light swipe out of the 476s (solid) can to do the same 2'x2' area.

Also, make sure you are not trying to remove any kind of wax with cheapo Costco towels. Only use good quality MF towels, and make sure to have plenty on hand. Using too few towels can reintroduce the wax back onto the surface.

(Causing the "smudgy spots" you mentioned).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

14. Likes damonb10 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast