autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How important is durability to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post
    Two coats of FK1000p in the spring and
    two more in the fall, including the wheels.

Since I’ve been using the BOSS Surface
    Wash and PolyGloss, that’s all I’ll do 2-3
    times monthly. I’ll do rinseless washes
    in-between the full Boss washes.

That’s from April to maybe November.
    In the winter months, I’ll go through the
    touchless weekly. The FK lasts until spring.
    Allow me to cheer your experiencing
    the glad tidings, that FK1000P brings
    to the (detailing) table.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

2. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FK1000p is the best $17.00 I’ve ever spent. And a tin lasts for years.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The water repellency of the FK1000p looks top notch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I personally think coatings are overrated. To me...if they can't stop water spots, then they really aren't that much better than a good wax/sealant. Another reason for me is that it is permanent. If I have an area where the coating didn't take well or maybe you get a blemish/scratch, then you'll have to remove the coating in that area. When you polish off the coating on the affected panel and reapply the coating, what if it looks different? I just don't think it's worth it. I actually enjoy waxing or applying a sealant to my paint anyway, so that's a reason.
    I can't recall if you have used any type of coatings before.

Another reason for me is that it is permanent. If I have an area where the coating didn't take well or maybe you get a blemish/scratch, then you'll have to remove the coating in that area. When you polish off the coating on the affected panel and reapply the coating, what if it looks different?
    Well first off coatings are not permanent. They are semi-permanent. Only if spot correcting as polishing is imparting gloss. The entire panel needs to be polished but that is not such a big deal. It will blend in nicely at that point.

7. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally think coatings are overrated. To me...if they can't stop water spots, then they really aren't that much better than a good wax/sealant.
    I really wonder where the water spotting problems come from. Have you experienced them personally? Which coating?

I've been using coatings for 6~7 years on every vehicle in our family fleet. There have been 6 different coatings from 5 manufacturers. I've not once experience any water spotting issues so far. I simply apply the coating and keep them clean by washing every 2~4 weeks time/weather permitting.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I can't recall if you have used any type of coatings before.

Well first off coatings are not permanent. They are semi-permanent. Only if spot correcting as polishing is imparting gloss. The entire panel needs to be polished but that is not such a big deal. It will blend in nicely at that point.
    No, I haven't used a coating before. I have seriously considered it, especially a product for the wheels. So with that, I'll say my opinion is from others experiences. I understand that is not ideal lol. Friends that I've known that always get their cars polished and coated often will still have water spots on their cars after they have washed them. I've read many forum threads where it has been mentioned that coatings won't keep your car from getting water spots. The water spotting that I often get is from hard water via a sprinkler system or washing the car in the sun, etc. Water at my house is generally around 400-450ppm of TDS, and I have to wash without shade. I'd hop on the coating train if hard water spots would wipe off with a drying aid or similar. The reason I call them permanent is because they have to wear off over time or be polished off. They don't wash off after several washes etc. I understand what you are saying about semi-permanent, though.

10. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I really wonder where the water spotting problems come from. Have you experienced them personally? Which coating?

I've been using coatings for 6~7 years on every vehicle in our family fleet. There have been 6 different coatings from 5 manufacturers. I've not once experience any water spotting issues so far. I simply apply the coating and keep them clean by washing every 2~4 weeks time/weather permitting.
    Based on reading others posts over the years, I'm assuming my hard water at my house will create water spots on my car if it was protected with a coating, like it does with waxes or sealants. like I mentioned above, I'd join the club if I knew a coating would keep hard water from spotting on my paint.

12. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough sell with products being so good now. Cars do clean up easier with a coating though, which is nice.

14. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I haven't used a coating before. I have seriously considered it, especially a product for the wheels. So with that, I'll say my opinion is from others experiences. I understand that is not ideal lol. .
    Then stop listening to your friends or others lol. You won't know until you choose one and experience the journey of a coating. Or at least apply it to one area and see how it holds up over say a year.

Friends that I've known that always get their cars polished and coated often will still have water spots on their cars after they have washed them.
    Too many factors on how they got these water spots. Did they wash in direct sun? Did they miss a spot? Do they leave their cars too dirty where rain is going to cause a problem when the sun comes out? And the list goes on.

I've read many forum threads where it has been mentioned that coatings won't keep your car from getting water spots.
    The potential is always there. Does not mean it will happen every time.

The water spotting that I often get is from hard water via a sprinkler system or washing the car in the sun, etc. Water at my house is generally around 400-450ppm of TDS, and I have to wash without shade. I'd hop on the coating train if hard water spots would wipe off with a drying aid or similar. The reason I call them permanent is because they have to wear off over time or be polished off. They don't wash off after several washes etc. I understand what you are saying about semi-permanent, though.
    No product is going to stop water spotting from a sprinkler.

Are you washing with a pressure washer or a garden hose? By the way water spots come off during the wash process with a drying aid. This is not speaking for water spots that have already been on the paint. I am referring to the ones that may happen during the wash and drying process.

Yvan made this video on water spots which is interesting.

16. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Like mentioned above by several guys, I like the durability in the winter. And, it is also nice to know that what you use can survive the summer months/hot sun.

Collinite fits those bills for me perfectly. Once in the Spring, and once in the Fall. I have no problem applying an LSP 2 times a year.

In fact, of the 4 major steps (De-con, Wash, Machine polish, LSP) the application of the LSP is by far the most relaxing/enjoyable for me.
    I agree. Collinite is amazing for the winter! I use that on my sled trailer and it holds up great, even after being drug through the salt all winter long. I wash it after every trip and then reapply 476 before I put it back in the barn in the spring. The trailer is seven years old now and still looks better than the day it was new.

18. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast