autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice cleaning trim to prep for coating.

Need some advice on deep cleaning this black plastic chin spoiler as well as the grill wiper cowl, and fog light surrounds. 2014 Mustang. This is after Megs APC 10:1. I don’t really know if it is dirt or dried wax. I want to get this trim cleaner, then plan to try Pinnacle Black Label Trim Restore.

Do you guys think 4:1 would have worked better? Should I just go over it again? Anything else better for cleaning plastic trim?

Need advice cleaning trim to prep for coating.-985caf80-bd16-439b-90c9-5593e8f4149c-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice cleaning trim to prep for coating.

Meguiar’s M39 does a good job at cleaning trim and removing wax from the trim. Blackfire wax remover also does a good job at removing old wax from trim.

Have you tried following up with some IPA or a panel prep?

PBL trim restorer should work well to bring some life back into it.

3. Thanks ptcary thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Meguiar’s M39 does a good job at cleaning trim and removing wax from the trim. Blackfire wax remover also does a good job at removing old wax from trim.

Have you tried following up with some IPA or a panel prep?

PBL trim restorer should work well to bring some life back into it.
    M39 did less to it than Megs APC at 10:1. 70% IPA As well as Gyeon Prep didn’t make much of a difference either. License plate mount is similar so took that off today and will work on that until I figure it out. Gonna run that sucker through the dishwasher in the top rack just to see what that does for it!
    Last edited by ptcary; 08-09-2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Then try a small spot with the coating or invest in solution finish as it’s a true trim restorer.

Post Thanks / Like

Try the blackfire wax remover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys think that Pinnacle Black Label Trim Restore would hide this?

Post Thanks / Like

I prep mine with Car Pro Eraser

Post Thanks / Like

I’m in the middle of detailing a late model Nissan Armada. The trim is faded so I’m also trying to see what I can do to prep..

I did a test spot with Mothers Heavy Duty Trim cleaner yesterday. This is what it looked like early this morning.

A few hours later. Totally dry, you can bearly see a difference.

Blackfire Wax Remover.

40min. later. Minimal difference, almost like the cleaner leaves something behind. Not a bad thing though.

Also, for a test I applied McKee’s Plastic Trim Restorer on a section without pre cleaning [other than a bucket wash] and let it set overnight.

Today I applied a fresh coat to compare it to yesterdays coat… And this is my biggest problem with this product. Look how much it lost in less than 24hrs.

Just 40min. later and look at how much it’s already lost… This product and WETS is so overrated.

My conclusion: The trim is already clean. Just apply your product. Hopefully you’ve got something much better than I’ve got on hand.

10. Thanks ptcary thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like real leather, deteoriated plastic needs nourishment so I'd recommend keep coating until you don't notice a change. You're not dealing with longevity here, you're dealing with "malnourished" plastic. Once the plastic doesn't change the look much, then you need to worry about longevity. But for what you're doing, I'd recommend getting Solution Finish as it is made for restoring plastic and designed by a plastic/trim guru. Solution Finish doesn't last that long (weeks) so I'd recommend getting the new Solution Finish Over the Top or Pinnacle Ceramic Trim Restorer to protect Solution Finish for 6+ months. That should have your trim looking its best.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Just like real leather, deteoriated plastic needs nourishment so I'd recommend keep coating until you don't notice a change. You're not dealing with longevity here, you're dealing with "malnourished" plastic. Once the plastic doesn't change the look much, then you need to worry about longevity. But for what you're doing, I'd recommend getting Solution Finish as it is made for restoring plastic and designed by a plastic/trim guru. Solution Finish doesn't last that long (weeks) so I'd recommend getting the new Solution Finish Over the Top or Pinnacle Ceramic Trim Restorer to protect Solution Finish for 6+ months. That should have your trim looking its best.
    You talkin to me? If so, what color would you say that trim is originally, grey or black Solution Finish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast