autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard Black Audi Paint Finishing Hazy swirls/marks

My opinion remains the same as previously stated in Post #6... You haven't polished aggressively enough or long enough yet. I think your concern over "preserving the clear coat" is getting in your way... It is your process/technique, fueled by your concern over removing the clear coat, that is holding you back more than the products/tools you are using.

The defects that I can make out in your pics should be no problem for the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and your G9 with the orange pad. If the UC and orange pad leave any micro marring, then follow up with Ultimate Polish and a yellow pad, but only after you have first removed the primary blemishes with the UC and orange pad.

And just a footnote… I think your title and description of the blemishes as “hazy swirls” is a bit misleading. Hazy swirls while finishing tends to indicate micro marring or DA haze. That is not what your pictures show.

As best as I can tell from your pics, you are dealing with isolated deeper blemishes (abrasions, scratches, smudges) than simply “hazy swirls”, and the remedies for each of those are very different.

An accurate description of the problem will help in getting relevant advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard Black Audi Paint Finishing Hazy swirls/marks

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    My opinion remains the same as previously stated in Post #6... You haven't polished aggressively enough or long enough yet. I think your concern over "preserving the clear coat" is getting in your way... It is your process/technique, fueled by your concern over removing the clear coat, that is holding you back more than the products/tools you are using.

The defects that I can make out in your pics should be no problem for the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and your G9 with the orange pad. If the UC and orange pad leave any micro marring, then follow up with Ultimate Polish and a yellow pad, but only after you have first removed the primary blemishes with the UC and orange pad.

And just a footnote… I think your title and description of the blemishes as “hazy swirls” is a bit misleading. Hazy swirls while finishing tends to indicate micro marring or DA haze. That is not what your pictures show.

As best as I can tell from your pics, you are dealing with isolated deeper blemishes (abrasions, scratches, smudges) than simply “hazy swirls”, and the remedies for each of those are very different.

An accurate description of the problem will help in getting relevant advice.
    Thanks for the speedy reply. I agree that I was hesitant with the clear coat and will likely be more aggressive the next time I pick up the g9. However, I don’t know if I can agree with you about these being primary blemishes. As stated, I recall only seeing minor swirls that you would commonly see in unpolished vehicles which all were removed. I guess there could be a chance there blemishes were hiding after the car was strip washed, iron removed, clay bar before polishing. But I really don’t think that’s the case. As some have stated, the Meg + orange may work well for most cars but consider this is a more stubborn paint, it may have just left the clear coat marred/unfinished and the perfect finish is too gentle to get rid of it. Again, I’ll be getting more aggressive products. Like the menzerna 400 with MF pad to see if I can get a better finish.

As someone who is new, Hazy swirls is the best description I had as when I shine the light over it in the dark, it creates a hazy, blurry reflection showcasing swirls around it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12