autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie’ish / 2018 Black Silverado 2500 High Country Swirls.

Hey everyone. So I just picked up a new truck last week and it’s got swirls all over it. Started working on it this morning.

I’m definitely no expert at paint correction but I had a black F150 before this truck and I’ve done a couple corrections on it.

So I knew it was going to be a 2 step process. I have some 3D One left over and also a bottle of Rupes Uno Finish Polish (which I really like) but I wanted to try something new. Guy at the local detail shop took a look at my truck and recommended I try a Meguires Microfiber combo. It included some cutting pads, finishing pads, D300 compound and finishing wax. I knew I wasn’t gonna use the finishing wax but I got it anyway.

I started with the D300 test spot and wasn’t thrilled with the results. I knew that the likelihood of a cutting compound getting me results in 1 step ( like dude told me it would) was very low. The D300 left a lot to be desired and left some marring behind also. I followed it up with the Rupes Uno and it came out “ok”.

Are my expectations set too high? Is it possible to get heavily swirled and spider webbed black paint back to 100% correct? I used a Griots G9 with the microfiber pad and then a 3D finishing pad with the Rupes. These are the results:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie’ish / 2018 Black Silverado 2500 High Country Swirls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikem3574 View Post
    Hey everyone. So I just picked up a new truck last week and it’s got swirls all over it. Started working on it this morning.

I’m definitely no expert at paint correction but I had a black F150 before this truck and I’ve done a couple corrections on it.

So I knew it was going to be a 2 step process. I have some 3D One left over and also a bottle of Rupes Uno Finish Polish (which I really like) but I wanted to try something new. Guy at the local detail shop took a look at my truck and recommended I try a Meguires Microfiber combo. It included some cutting pads, finishing pads, D300 compound and finishing wax. I knew I wasn’t gonna use the finishing wax but I got it anyway.

I started with the D300 test spot and wasn’t thrilled with the results. I knew that the likelihood of a cutting compound getting me results in 1 step ( like dude told me it would) was very low. The D300 left a lot to be desired and left some marring behind also. I followed it up with the Rupes Uno and it came out “ok”.

Are my expectations set too high? Is it possible to get heavily swirled and spider webbed black paint back to 100% correct? I used a Griots G9 with the microfiber pad and then a 3D finishing pad with the Rupes. These are the results:

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go D300 and microfiber. I'd go white lake city with Menz 2500 and step it up to orange if you needed to. That would about get you to a 1 step. Hit it with menz 3500 if you needed to.

Microfiber has its place but might not be the right pick for a newer dark GM paint.

5. Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 627PCFan View Post
    I wouldn't go D300 and microfiber. I'd go white lake city with Menz 2500 and step it up to orange if you needed to. That would about get you to a 1 step. Hit it with menz 3500 if you needed to.

Microfiber has its place but might not be the right pick for a newer dark GM paint.
    Those pics were the results after I used the D300 and Rupes. If the D300 was unable to lift those swirls/webs, would Menzerna 2500 have enough cut?

Post Thanks / Like

D300 and a mirofiber on a free spinning tool does usually yeild great results. Clearly you need something with more cut. Do you have any other compounds on hand?

And imo runnin any foam pad on a free spinning tool will not give you as good as cut as runnin mircofiber cut pads

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    And imo runnin any foam pad on a free spinning tool will not give you as good as cut as runnin mircofiber cut pads
    But ditching the microfiber might help him ditch the micromarring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 627PCFan View Post
    But ditching the microfiber might help him ditch the micromarring.
    Oh im sorry bud, then yes you would be correct.

when I read the posts i took it as those defects still remained after the d300 and the polish step didnt remove said defects

Post Thanks / Like

D300 and a mirofiber on a free spinning tool does usually yeild great results. Clearly you need something with more cut. Do you have any other compounds on hand?

All I have on hand is some 3D One and a Griots Compound that doesn’t have a ton of cut.

I could pick something up though. What about Meguires 110? Do I need a specific compound if I still wanna use the microfiber pads? Or can any compound work with them? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh im sorry bud, then yes you would be correct.

when I read the posts i took it as those defects still remained after the d300 and the polish step didnt remove said defects

That actually is what happened. The webs were there before the compound and polish. The polish did remove the marring. In my limited experience, I’ve never really been able to do a 1 step on my black vehicles unless it was just extremely light marring that a finish polish could remove. Even 3D One and a 3D finish pad would leave marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikem3574 View Post
    All I have on hand is some 3D One and a Griots Compound that doesn’t have a ton of cut.

I could pick something up though. What about Meguires 110? Do I need a specific compound if I still wanna use the microfiber pads? Or can any compound work with them? Thx.

I cant comment on megs 110, the griots or 3d one as ive never used them.

Hopefully someone with many more years of experience can comment and help ya out without picking up more products.

Have you tried the 3d one with the microfiber pad to see if it had enough cut to remove the deeper defects?

And no you dont need specific compounds for microfiber pads.

It might be possible that the defects are just do deep to remove with a free spinning tool?

14. Likes Mikem3574 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast