autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

CQuartz Leather 2.0 vs other product

Hi everyone,

Currently on my wife's Q5 beige leather I have installed a product (sealant) that AG doesn't offer but suposedly according to several YT channels is the best non coating leather protectant. The problem with it is that durability is only about 3-6 months and it actually makes cleaning the dirt and dye transfer easier does not prevent it and as soon as you use any cleaner it removes the product and you have to start right over again. Also it is a 2 product system and you have to wait 24 hrs in between both to apply, bottom line it seems to be a great product but is kinda conversome to keep up with.

Also, the manufacturer says that coatings on leather are bad because they dont let the leather breathe, and after several coating applications and time (5-6 years) the leather will show signs of detriment because it never breathe for years. Their products (coditioner + sealant) on the other hand even that it protects the leather it lets it breathe and because of this it will remain looking and feeling like new.

99% of the leather is coated and pigmented but their conditioner gets soaked in to treat the leather itself and the sealant seals the leather (letting it breathe) and makesnit hydrophobic and easier to clean.

Now, Im looking at Carpro Leather 2.0 that says that is water based and Im wondering if this leather breathing and if it doesnt breathe it will affect leather long term looks, feeling and it will dry it.

Is this BS?
    Have anyone used leather coatings for years now?
    Im I overthinking this?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to bring all the points to the equation so you guys can help me

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQuartz Leather 2.0 vs other product

I currently have Gyeon Leather Shield on my car and have been very happy with it. Weeks after applying it I decided to "top it up" with Gyeon Leather and it actually beaded up, LOL.

Since the spring I've topped it up several times with the same product, Gyeon Learher as well as the recently released TW HS Leather Mist without an issue. I should note my leather is nowhere near the quality of that of an Audi but I'm sure you'll like the combo of Gyeon Shield & Leather. FWIW I use Connelly Leather Cleaner to clean my seats.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes XJL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the leather bead it but you think it just wipe off or it actually went in and topped the shield?

Do you feel any difference before and after the leather coating application?

Post Thanks / Like

Cquartz Leather 2.0 is so easy to work with. It also looks better than it’s predecessor and Gyeon Leather Shield.

Now these coatings won’t prevent dye transfer. CarPro has a video on their YouTube channel showcasing its performance to dye transfer.

Abrasion is going to break it down so it depends on how often the seats are used. They can last close to a year.

If you choose to stay away from coatings then I would look at colourlock. Depending on the age of the vehicle you can get away with just leather shield. And it repels liquids just as well as a leather coating.

If it’s older then 3 years then protector a couple times a year and top it with leather shield. Maintain with leather shield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Cquartz Leather 2.0 is so easy to work with. It also looks better than it’s predecessor and Gyeon Leather Shield.

Now these coatings won’t prevent dye transfer. CarPro has a video on their YouTube channel showcasing its performance to dye transfer.

Abrasion is going to break it down so it depends on how often the seats are used. They can last close to a year.

If you choose to stay away from coatings then I would look at colourlock. Depending on the age of the vehicle you can get away with just leather shield. And it repels liquids just as well as a leather coating.

If it’s older then 3 years then protector a couple times a year and top it with leather shield. Maintain with leather shield.
    That is the product Im using, Leather Protector and Leatger Shield from Colourlock. It works wonders but when I get dye transfer on that beige and clean it then I have to reapply protector, wait 24hrs and apply shield. Also I need to be reapplying both every 4 months anyway and even the combo works great it is annoying.

I really want to try a coating but we want to keep that Q5 for a long term and Im afraid after 6 years the leather is dried or looks odd because of the coating. According to colourlock that might happen.

Post Thanks / Like

You will be fine if you just use leather shield on its own. Frequent car care is easy care care.

Anyway no leather coating hardens up. They stay flexible. The one thing nobody really knows is if a coating is ever truly removed deep down in the pores of the leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Also be careful on Aniline leathers. Coatings or at least Gyeon LS not recommended. I put it on a coated leather and as easy to apply as a sealant.

Also really like Gyeon LeatherCoat to maintain or as a standalone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Im also curious about trying a leather coating. Or even just a different leather conditioner. Ive only ever used lexol conditioner.

Im happy with it but just wandered if theres anything better out there. Only vehicles im ever around are the big three, so no fancy leathers lol.

I have heard newer leathers do not need conditoning, due to the way they are made. Is that really true? I find that hard to believe. Also not trying to hyjack...just piggyback off the OP

Post Thanks / Like

So what Ive found is that is partially true because 99% of car leather is pigmented and coated. BUT, this coat lets the leather breathe, so a conditioner will keep it soft and nice but will not help with abrasion or stains, that is where a sealant will help.

Supposedly a leather coating focus on prevent dye transfer, uv, dirt, stains and liquids to harm the leather but does nothing against how it feels,
    And how it breathes

11. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You will be fine if you just use leather shield on its own. Frequent car care is easy care care.

Anyway no leather coating hardens up. They stay flexible. The one thing nobody really knows is if a coating is ever truly removed deep down in the pores of the leather.
    Correct and also if the coating clogs the pores, it is really interesting