autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Tire Dressing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    DFB - Terminator is strong stuff.....are you okay using it on your rubber
    I have a $2700 PS4 order due as well, and been thinking about what to dress it with. Coating or dressing....and stumbled upon this thread. Haven't used coating in awhile as I don't like how it wears. So dressing it is.

I am on the opposite spectrum. I'd rather top up dressings than go to town scrubbing till brown is clear - whether it be on new or old tires. Granted these are tires for my own use, and not a *customers car* with unknown goop that is sitting on the surface, so the POV of brown vs. not brown may be sorta a YMMV approach
    Get a drill brush. Makes cleaning tires soooooooooooooo much easier.

If your tires are low profile I’d go with a dressing as well. Edges get to worn and need recoating every couple weeks anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

DFB - Terminator is strong stuff.....are you okay using it on your rubber
    I have a $2700 PS4 order due as well, and been thinking about what to dress it with. Coating or dressing....and stumbled upon this thread. Haven't used coating in awhile as I don't like how it wears. So dressing it is.

I am on the opposite spectrum. I'd rather top up dressings than go to town scrubbing till brown is clear - whether it be on new or old tires. Granted these are tires for my own use, and not a *customers car* with unknown goop that is sitting on the surface, so the POV of brown vs. not brown may be sorta a YMMV approach
    Tarminator is very strong, a sledgehammer in fact. I have been using it on tires for a while now and have not come into any issues. Keep in mind that I only Tarminator on tires occasionally, mainly when I'm attempting to get tires completely stripped. As mentioned, those PS3's resist everything. It's also good for getting brand new tires cleaned and conditioned for dressing, helping to remove fitting soap and release agents and improving the bond of the dressing.

These comments/observations are on my own cars, no way am I spending extended time scrubbing away at a customer's car when they won't even notice if the tires are clean or not. For those situations, they get a simple, single pass over with a tire cleaner, rinsed and then dressed. No repeated passes until no brown shows through.

3. Likes Rsurfer, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From all I have tried, and there are too many to publicly admit to, there are a couple of products that seem to work well on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S -

- As mentioned earlier, Carpro Perl. I use this neat as I don't love runny dressings, but its probably best diluted for tires and would require less knock back.

- Auto Finesse Satin is another low gloss dressing that works well on PS4S. Don't expect any gloss whatsoever, in fact this is the least noticeable tire dressing I have ever used.

- NV Onyx is another water based dressing, able to deliver more gloss if desired. Again, best knocked back to achieve a uniform appearance.

- The one I use the most is OG Tire Dressing. No idea why, but this seems to suit these tires the best. It will deliver gloss if you want but it's best given a gentle wipe to level it down to a more satin sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by Game View Post
    That’s exactly the look I’ll be aiming for. Looks great, thank you. Have you tried Darkside yet?
    I have used Darkside, just not on PS4S's -

Overall, it's a nice product. You need to work for it though, Darkside lacking the silky smooth application of the above and needs to massaged into the tire more.

5. Likes Game liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised you got PERL to work on PSSs and PS4Ss. My experience wasn't so great. I tried both neat and diluted 1:1.

Going neat it looked pretty good but you could almost watch it fade while looking at the tire. Any sign of moisture and it was gone. Diluted, it worked better. Durability was actually a week or so and it would survive the morning dew, unlike going neat which would streak. Appearance wasn't quite as good, so it becomes a trade-off of appearance vs durability.

The funny thing is I have PS4's (different from the PS4S) and a set of Defender LTXs on our cars at home right now. Both of those struggle with PERL as well, but in different ways. However, I also use PERL on a set of Kuhmo's and it's fantastic; looks great and holds up a long time. In fact, PERL works better on the Kuhmo's better than any tire from any brand I've tried it on.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Desertnate;1766963]
    The funny thing is I have PS4's (different from the PS4S)

What's the difference between PS4's and PS4S ?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Rsurfer;1766981]
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

The funny thing is I have PS4's (different from the PS4S)

What's the difference between PS4's and PS4S ?
    Michelin's naming structure sucks!

Pilot Sport 4 (PS4) - A mid spec sport tire (summer tire) that is slanted to blending comfort with grip and longevity.

Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S) - A high performance sport tire (summer tire) that is slanted to performance over longevity and refinement. These effectively replaced the Pilot Super Sport.

Pilot Sport Cup 2 and Cup 2R - Semi-slick track orientated tires.

There is also a new Pilot Sport 5 that is the next generation of the PS4, although not a replacement for the PS4S. The PS5 is again slanted to longevity and refinement with while still being sport orientated.

9. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=DFB;1767046]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

Michelin's naming structure sucks!

Pilot Sport 4 (PS4) - A mid spec sport tire (summer tire) that is slanted to blending comfort with grip and longevity.

Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S) - A high performance sport tire (summer tire) that is slanted to performance over longevity and refinement. These effectively replaced the Pilot Super Sport.

Pilot Sport Cup 2 and Cup 2R - Semi-slick track orientated tires.

There is also a new Pilot Sport 5 that is the next generation of the PS4, although not a replacement for the PS4S. The PS5 is again slanted to longevity and refinement with while still being sport orientated.
    DFB - I feel left out you didn’t mention my MPSAS4 tires - Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. They’re also finicky with tire dressings but are the best all season sport tires I’ve used.

Still miss the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 as the best high-performance tire I’ve driven except for tread life. I was lucky to get 18,000 miles on them but they handled in the wet like most tires handled when dry.

Post Thanks / Like

I only get anywhere from a season or so on the PS4S so cleaning away all the bloom agents is not that much of an issue so the rubber goes away ..... I was remarking that for me, while I can see the cleaning benefits of terminator, I'm just not the type to -put product down- and scrub till brown looks clean. I tend to just -err- on mild wash, dress it and just dress it often....as in my -mind-, I'm leaching out all the blooming agents to some degree...

12. Likes dgage, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only get anywhere from a season or so on the PS4S so cleaning away all the bloom agents is not that much of an issue so the rubber goes away ..... I was remarking that for me, while I can see the cleaning benefits of terminator, I'm just not the type to -put product down- and scrub till brown looks clean. I tend to just -err- on mild wash, dress it and just dress it often....as in my -mind-, I'm leaching out all the blooming agents to some degree...
    It also depends on what you’re doing. If just using a dressing, it doesn’t have to be “clean until white foam” but if you’re trying to put a coating on the tires, it may need more than one “clean until white foam” for the coating to last. Dressings may not last as long initially when the tire is just put on but as you say, eventually it will leach out enough and the dressing will last longer with more minor cleanings.

14. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=dgage;1767062]
    Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

DFB - I feel left out you didn’t mention my MPSAS4 tires - Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. They’re also finicky with tire dressings but are the best all season sport tires I’ve used.

Still miss the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 as the best high-performance tire I’ve driven except for tread life. I was lucky to get 18,000 miles on them but they handled in the wet like most tires handled when dry.
    Just keep in mind that I'm from Australia, we have no use for all-season tires here, hence me not mentioning it.

16. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast