autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Tire Dressing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressing

I still haven’t found anything better than DG 253 without going to a tire coating, which has its own issues.

2. Likes PaulMys, DFB, Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    You could also look at TWHSGATSSC as it is pretty matte and seems to last several weeks.

Turtle Wax also has a matching tire cleaner but not as familiar with it. Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner is one of the best. 303 Tire & Rubber also gets nice reviews. And I know at least one AGO member likes LA Totally Awesome, which can be bought from a dollar store.
    Most insane acronym ever LOL

4. Likes DFB, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Looking to do some shopping this labor day weekend.

Have been using the Adams Tire shine in the white bottle, it's nice and Matte, but doesn't last long at all. I was going to try Car Pro PERL, but don't see it on AG's store.

Anything else people can recommend that has a nice, matte finish that can last longer?

Edit: And how about a reco' for a dedicated tire cleaner? I've used a high alkalaline degreaser (diluted 1:3), but not happy with the results. Now willing to try a dedicated tire cleaner....
    In your case, I would echo the other suggestions for Duragloss 253.

Although I can't comment on durability just yet, I have been really impressed with Adam's Graphene Tire Dressing lately, it can also finish down to a matte look.

For tire cleaning, I keep trying different products for this role, however I keep coming back to Brake Buster at full strength.

6. Likes Matador, The Guz, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    In your case, I would echo the other suggestions for Duragloss 253.

Although I can't comment on durability just yet, I have been really impressed with Adam's Graphene Tire Dressing lately, it can also finish down to a matte look.

For tire cleaning, I keep trying different products for this role, however I keep coming back to Brake Buster at full strength.
    Adams won’t last as long but it does look good. It will last as long as Perl.

8. Likes PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone run into issues with certain tire dressings not reacting well to Michelins? Specifically Darkside. (Browning effect)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Game View Post
    Anyone run into issues with certain tire dressings not reacting well to Michelins? Specifically Darkside. (Browning effect)
    This is certainly a thing, mostly on the Pilot Sport 4S from what I can tell.

The waxiness of the PS4S sidewall is quite weird in how it reacts to dressings, causing a blotchy appearance depending on the product used. I think the best method for these tires is to not aim for a glossy finish as this tends to exaggerate the blotchy look. I have found a water-based dressing applied as normal and then wiped generously after 15 minutes to level the finish to an even look.

This is freshly applied Carpro Perl neat -

Perl buffed back to an even, matte finish -

On the flip side of this, I have the older design Pilot Sport 3 on a car that dresses amazingly, but it extremely hard to achieve a bare, clean surface no matter what product or strength I use. The only thing that comes close is Tarminator.

All of that compares to the variety of different Dunlop's I deal with, along with Pirelli and Bridgestone. None of these are as finicky to clean or dress than the Michelins.

The other thing to note is that Darkside has a solvent base and will be naturally messier to remove. This is in both the chemical makeup of the product but also the dirt that sticks to it.

11. Thanks Game thanked for this post
    Likes Game liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DFB - Terminator is strong stuff.....are you okay using it on your rubber
    I have a $2700 PS4 order due as well, and been thinking about what to dress it with. Coating or dressing....and stumbled upon this thread. Haven't used coating in awhile as I don't like how it wears. So dressing it is.

I am on the opposite spectrum. I'd rather top up dressings than go to town scrubbing till brown is clear - whether it be on new or old tires. Granted these are tires for my own use, and not a *customers car* with unknown goop that is sitting on the surface, so the POV of brown vs. not brown may be sorta a YMMV approach

Post Thanks / Like

That’s exactly the look I’ll be aiming for. Looks great, thank you. Have you tried Darkside yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I still haven’t found anything better than DG 253 without going to a tire coating, which has its own issues.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

15. Likes Desertnate, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage
    Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    I keep trying to find something better but I keep going back to DG253, primarily due to ease of application and it being as durable as anything else out there.

Coatings last longer (3+ months) unless the sides get scratched and then it is very hard to touchup.

17. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast