autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just Starting Out

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Sonax makes very good products. Cutmax and perfect finish are some of my favorite products of all time. I enjoy there leather foam has well. And PNS is another gem if you want fast and easy 3-6mths of protection with ceramic type beads.

A lot of quality products out there. I really like a lot of carpro's stuff has well. I was going to try wolfgang's uber si02 rinseless but i stuck with old faithful, carpro's ech20, which has quickly become another favorite of mine.

If you want to make some extra money. Don't forget the very important drying step. Again i have carpro's dehydrate towel and gyeon's silk dryer. Both are very similar, twisted loop drying towels. Just not a fan of purple, gyeon's is purple. Lots of good drying towels out there. A fan favorite on autogeek is the PFM from griots but its very pricey. I have never used it personally.
    I’m pretty excited about trying them, I won’t lie. Ill let you know what I think! I’m trying to find the right combination, using the least amount of products to maximize profit. I’m not against using more products to get the job done and done correctly either though.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmiracle View Post
    I’m pretty excited about trying them, I won’t lie. Ill let you know what I think! I’m trying to find the right combination, using the least amount of products to maximize profit. I’m not against using more products to get the job done and done correctly either though.
    I'm not a professional but from personal experience, claying and machine polishing is were its at for changing the appearance of a car.

3. Likes ssnimrod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No matter what...if you start doing others on the side for money, always remember they will never pay you enough to make it worth your while to get it "perfect". I just had to leave tar spots on a friends truck cuz he wasnt going to want to pay for all the extra time involved to get the last 35% of it off.

Good luck and price everything accordingly. Figure out what you want to make, but also be fair for your level of skill. Also buying products by the gallons will be more cost effective for you to make more per job.

5. Likes ssnimrod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I'm not a professional but from personal experience, claying and machine polishing is were its at for changing the appearance of a car.
    I know it is, but I do not feel comfortable enough when it comes to paint correction to try it on other vehicles at this time. Do I want to get there? Yes, of course, but for now I plan to keep practicing on my own. That is the end goal for me though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the great thing about da machines, its like next to impossible to mess it up lol, just start with least agressive method to remove whatever defects your trying to remove

8. Likes ssnimrod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it is, but I do not feel comfortable enough when it comes to paint correction to try it on other vehicles at this time. Do I want to get there? Yes, of course, but for now I plan to keep practicing on my own. That is the end goal for me though.

In my opinion, and in my personal experience, if you have machine polished your own vehicle a few times and achieved satisfactory results, then you are ready to do a basic machine polish on others' vehicles.

Am I saying you are ready to tackle the world and start doing show cars? Of course not.

But it seems that every newbie (myself included back in the day!) is somehow under the misconception that a DA polisher can ruin a paint job in a flash.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Things like burning through the paint are virtually impossible with a DA, because they are designed to stall when they encounter a sharp curve, raised body line, or concave area.

As one gains experience with these (DA) machines, this can become an annoyance because you know how & when to "tread lightly" but the machine is "idiot-proofing" it for you. This is exactly what they are designed to do.

Bottom line is: If you are having success with your DA on your own cars, don't be afraid to do your neighbors daily driver Prius. But maybe leave your other neighbors' Porsche for when you get a little more "trigger time".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes dmiracle, opie, dwaleke, noorth, ssnimrod liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Paul.

I watched a video quite some time ago by Chicagoautopros which they purposely burned through paint using a rupes 15mm i think or 21mm. It took an insane amount of sets. I believe it was in the 60's and he was doing 5 section passes each set. So it was like 60x5 which is 300 passes. It could of been more it was a while ago.

A normal paint enhancement on my car i use 2-4 passes. Sometimes i will do 2 steps so that would be another 2-4 passes. I don't chase perfection however. I just look to see my big head in the panel lol

That said new cars are getting even thinner clearcoat they say. But fearing paint correction, especially using a DA is overstated IMO.

Pick up some junk panels, thats what i did last winter. I used a mini rotary and everything on those panels. I was easily over 300 passes on both. I still have them. I never ruined the finish on either of them. I might just bring them back to the basement lol

12. Likes dmiracle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice fellas! You all are definitely helping calm my nerves, because that’s ultimately all it is. I’m SUPER OCD about things and almost a perfectionist. Detailing is my escape and personal way to help with the issues. It forces me to not work beyond what I’m being paid for, unless I am trying to gain new business!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice fellas! You all are definitely helping calm my nerves, because that’s ultimately all it is. I’m SUPER OCD about things and almost a perfectionist. Detailing is my escape and personal way to help with the issues. It forces me to not work beyond what I’m being paid for, unless I am trying to gain new business!
    I don’t know if I agree with your statements but you know you. My OCD makes me try to get everything great and then I don’t finish something because I ran out of time such as when I was detailing my dad’s truck for Father’s Day. Didn’t get to everything I wanted but damn if that exhaust and running boards weren’t about perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I don’t know if I agree with your statements but you know you. My OCD makes me try to get everything great and then I don’t finish something because I ran out of time such as when I was detailing my dad’s truck for Father’s Day. Didn’t get to everything I wanted but damn if that exhaust and running boards weren’t about perfect.
    You’re 100% correct I know me. I never said I didn’t try to get everything perfect, I said “it forces me to not work beyond what I’m being paid for”. This was and still is extremely hard for me. BUT when time is money, I have to push it to the side and do what they pay for.

If they pay for my OCD, then by all means I’ll strive for perfection inside and out. Most just want a simple wash and wax/inside vac and wipe down. I can’t give them perfection per say, but I give them as close as I can.

16. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast