autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Converting an angle grinder into a polisher

Is there a conversion spindle that lets a regular angle grinder turn a 7" polishing pad, basically converting it into a polisher? If so, what is the part called and where can I find it? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Converting an angle grinder into a polisher

Grinders and rotary polishers (majority/all) use the standard 5/8”-11 threads. The problem you’ll have is grinders spin much faster than polishers.

Mike Phillips

It’s called a polisher.

You don’t connect anything though.

4. Likes vobro liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

It’s called a polisher.

You don’t connect anything though.

In case anyone didn't get it - that was my attempt at comedy.

There is an adapter for rotary buffers, which should also work on a 5/8" spindle on a grinder. It's called a DYNABRADE Rotary/Random Orbital Head. Here's my first experience with the Dynabrade Orbital attachment back in 2006

1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe Convertible

Here's Paul, aka the other pc, testing out Jason Rose's Dynabrade rotary buffer with a dual-action polisher attachment outfitted to the head of the polisher.

So my "guess" is that you could get this attachment, put it on your angle grinder and then run it at the lowest speed setting?

Mike Phillips

Here's Joe aka Superior Shine using the Dynabrade attachment on a FLEX PE14 Rotary

Here's a thread from 2010 about it,

Dynabrade random orbital polisher kit

Again - I have know idea if the above would be usable on an angle grinder.

My recommendation would be to simply get the right tool for the job. Take a look at the Porter Cable 7424XP or the Griot's Garage G9. Both are easy to use and affordable.

Post Thanks / Like

In both cases, very experienced people working with a rotary. For a new person, it is _VERY_ easy to burn through paint doing this. I highly recommend against it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    In both cases, very experienced people working with a rotary. For a new person, it is _VERY_ easy to burn through paint doing this. I highly recommend against it.
    Good point!!

Fast speed = heat. Heat = damage.

I bought a Milwaukee M12 Rotary polisher for cleaning the tire but it is too fast and a variable speed trigger so hard to regulate speed. I used it for polishing my son’s headlights and got it going a little fast and it marred the headlight a little due to heat. I will now be selling it.

So I agree with tcope. Discard this idea and get a DA such as the Griot’s G9.

Post Thanks / Like

We as hobbyists, semi-pros, and pros all have an inherent desire to experiment. I personally had done this with chemicals, techniques, and methods. Machines are in a category thats a non negotiable for me. I always am a fan of purposed built machines since they were designed with a specific task in mind. They just seemed to work better and more efficient. The notable exception would be the Porter Cable DA. The original (first gen) Porter cable polisher was a DA wood sander. While it served a purpose at the time, any today's purposely built polisher would put it to shame.

I have to be honest.... my dewalt (the yellow monster) been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. It's just too cumbersome to use. LOL My much newer flex rotary hasn't seen much action in the last few years either since I never had to deal with gel coat. I use it to jewel but that rarely happens. Maybe I been hanging out with the wrong crowd. LOL

Many of today's top notch rotary machines are full of features to increase performance. They are lighter, quieter, and generally offers the user more control. Its not hard to learn how to use a rotary but it takes years to master it. For those who are proficient with it ... no other polisher can get the job (paint removal) done faster. Most paint on today's car are very thin.... I personally have one of those thats barely measured 3 mm. A rotary will never be my first choice to use on such paint system.