autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What I'm doing wrong???

+1 for everyone above. You have deeper RIDS and not enough cut and they are catching your eye.

Post Thanks / Like

If the paint is really soft Sonax Perfect Finish has always worked well for me.

3. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I can ask. How to prevent reinstalling scratches with by wiping down? Change microfiber I assume?

Post Thanks / Like

As others have mentioned you may not be removing the defects with your current process. You need to try a test spot with a more aggressive combination. Car Wash defects can be pretty deep.

Mike Phillips

Re: What I'm doing wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by locarno View Post

Hello

I have repainted car with LC9Z color year ago. I think the new paint is softer than oem VW.

I want to remove all scratches from the paint. Most of which were from automatic car wash.
    Assuming the paint had zero scratches AFTER you painted it. Why then would you take it to an automatic car wash? Did you not know they type of car wash would scratch the paint on your car?

I'm using 125mm DA machine.

What kind of polisher?

My best guess is 125mm refers to the size and specifically the diameter of the backing plate on the tools.

This doesn't tell us what kind of tool it is?

My guess is the tool is too weak to remove the defects or you're putting them back in when you wipe off any product. Just a guess.

Mike Phillips

Hey Locarno,

I see you started 2 threads for the same topic.

One in the "Ask Mike Phillips" forum group

One in the Detailing 101 forum group.

I've merged them into a single thread. There's no need to create multiple threads for the same topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Assuming the paint had zero scratches AFTER you painted it. Why then would you take it to an automatic car wash? Did you not know they type of car wash would scratch the paint on your car
    What kind of polisher?
    Actually I had a lot of problems after paintig because the man who painted the car doesn't know how to polish car. Painting was ok but he f*cked up whole job by weak polishing skills. Here's photo for you.

Then I gave this car to detaling studio and they fixed it in 2 days. After this the car had 0 scratches and swirls etc. But during one year automatic car wash added a lot of swirls and scratches.

I know that automatic car wash is bad but it gave the best clean effect compared to touchless wash. Black paint is horrible. On touchless car wash my car was always dirty after dry or had a lot of stains. I don't have place with water to handwash car.

I'm using ADBL Roller D09125-01 machine.

Back to thread. I will try to take better pictures of my paint using special detaling lamp. I will also try to use 1000/2500 Menzerna and we will see if I will be able to remove all scratches. And no I'm not trolling here.

9. Thanks gski thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

I'm using ADBL Roller D09125-01 machine.
    I looked it up, this is a 9mm free spinning random orbital polisher similar to the Griot's Garage G9

ADBL ROLLER D09125-01

I'm sure this tool can get the job done as long as it can maintain pad rotation. Someone shared the link to my article/video about "marking the backing plate" so that you're eyes can more easily see and monitor pad rotation.

I will also try to use 1000/2500 Menzerna and we will see if I will be able to remove all scratches.
    Make sure to keep your pads clean as well as your towels.

And no I'm not trolling here.
    And I always give everyone the benefit of the doubt but I've been working on forums since the software was invented, (beta), and then went public, that would be about 21 years now in human years. I've seen a lot. And to be honest, some of your questions just seemed a tick on the unusual side. Like using brake cleaner to remove car wax?

But the fact that you clarified is good enough for me.

Mike Phillips

These be called,

HOLOGRAMS

Yup. Like a lot of painters, they know how to paint but they don't know squat about how to buff.

Looks like he maintained a nice tight overlapping pattern to inflict the damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I tried polishing today in the shadow on the cool paint. I used Menzerna 2500 + yellow foam and then Menzerna 3000 + black foam. I used lowest rpm in the initial phase and then speed up to 2500. It removed a lot of scratches including marks from car wash. In the shadow and under the Brayt inspection lamp the paint looks perfect for me. However under direct sunlight I can see some minor scratches. There's no tragedy. Final effect is ok for me but I'm thinking if I can remove those leftover scraches? Should I use heavy cut Menzerna 1000 or more final finish polish 3000? I think they are not a deep scratches. They probably disappear after wax but I want to remove them not hide.

And from what I can see those scratches are not from the wiping off. I want to question about wiping off. I use for this Menzerna Control Cleaner and very soft cloth. But it still leaves me smudges. How to avoid smudged while wping off?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast