autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coating getting clogged

I have recently put CarPro Lite on both mine and my wife’s car. No complaints for my car. I wash it weekly and using Elixir for as a drying aid and the car is garaged.

The issue is with my wife’s car which has been coated for around 2 months now. This car sits outside and it is winter here in Aus now and we get below zero in the early mornings 2-3 times a week. Now when I first coated I put reload on as it sits outside etc. I washed the car about 2 weeks after and all was well. The next 2 weeks we had a lot of rain so all your usual lovely grime was going in all the usual places like behind the wheels on the lower panels, mirrors, front bumper and rear bumper. The car is driven maybe 70km daily.

This wash was a lot more difficult. Even after snow foaming the car and then a hand wash with Reset, the beading was still a little slow on these panels. As the car is white, I could also see the grime build up which was like little black specks on the paint in these locations with the rear being the worst. I then bought CarPro lift. This got maybe 40-50%% of this grime off including a hand wash. So I then mixed Lift in a spray bottle diluted 1:15ish and sprayed all these panels after the usual snow and hand wash routine. I then took my mitt with Reset and hit those panels again. The grime and black specks came off and beading was restored! Magic! I was happy. So 2-3 weeks later I washed it again using Lift and Reset. Again this grime was built up as we have had a lot of rain. So I did the spray bottle trick which got maybe 80% of the the specks off and restored beading by 95% (only aforementioned problematic panels effected). At this point I had foamed, hand washed and sprayed my Lift mixture on these panels so I did not want to hit it again with anything and just left it after throwing some Elixir on top.

Does anyone have a solution or is this as good as it gets? I feel like the coating ‘clogs’ easily and it’s not like I’m washing it once every 6 months or something and I am using some rather aggressive methods. I would prefer not to use Lift in the cannon and then in the spray bottle every wash (2-4 weeks) if I can help it. With the car being white this grime is very easy to see. Before CarPro Lite the car had Megs HCW on it and this was never an issue even when the car was left for 1-2 months wittout a wash in the winter months.

There is no salt on our roads as it snows a tiny amount maybe once a winter.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating getting clogged

That’s a tough question. Seems like the rain and road grime are just getting to it.

I would just wash it normally with Reset weekly rather than anything stronger than high may impact the coatings performance long term.

You could always top it with the megs product until the rainy weather passes on.

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather wash more regularly too but I just don’t have the time to get to both cars once a week.

Putting the Megs product on top isn’t a bad idea. Last time I had it on it was still going strong after 5 months before it was polished off prior to coating. Im hesitant to cover up the coating for half its life with an ‘Inferior’ product though.

I must say this experience has put me off coatings a little.

Post Thanks / Like

How about using a rinseless or waterless product. Takes less time and if you use some like Ech2o then you’ll get a shine boost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    I would rather wash more regularly too
    but I just don’t have the time to get to
    both cars once a week.

Putting the Megs product on top isn’t a
    bad idea. Last time I had it on it was still
    going strong after 5 months before it was
    polished off prior to coating.

Im hesitant to cover up the coating for half
    its life with an ‘Inferior’ product though.

I must say this experience has put me
    off coatings a little.
    •Between you previously saying:
    -“Before CarPro Lite, the car had Megs
    HCW on it, and this was never an issue
    even when the car was left for 1-2 months
    wittout a wash in the winter months”; and,
    the content of your above post…

-It sure doesn’t sound like Meguiar’s HCW
    is the “Inferior” product, IMO.

•Furthermore:
    -If that Coating was causing me that
    much grief, it would be gone from my
    vehicle: lickety-split!

-And I don’t mean those Punk
    Rockers from Adelaide, SA:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    I would rather wash more regularly too but I just don’t have the time to get to both cars once a week.

Putting the Megs product on top isn’t a bad idea. Last time I had it on it was still going strong after 5 months before it was polished off prior to coating. Im hesitant to cover up the coating for half its life with an ‘Inferior’ product though.

I must say this experience has put me off coatings a little.

I wouldn’t worry to much about it. Lift will remove the Megs product down the line when it’s time to decontaminate.

One thing I just thought is maybe reload is still sticking around. Just because it loses its hydrophobic behavior pretty fast it does seem to stick around.

I should have posted get ready for coating haters to come in haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Between you previously saying:
    -“Before CarPro Lite, the car had Megs
    HCW on it, and this was never an issue
    even when the car was left for 1-2 months
    wittout a wash in the winter months”; and,
    the content of your above post…

-It sure doesn’t sound like Meguiar’s HCW
    is the “Inferior” product, IMO.

•Furthermore:
    -If that Coating was causing me that
    much grief, it would be gone from my
    vehicle: lickety-split!

-And I don’t mean those Punk Rockers
    from Adelaide, SA:

Bob

Completely understand what you are saying. I guess i am hesitant to jump to this conclusion as coatings seem to be the superior LSP in this industry and I want to justify the money and all the time and effort I put into coating the car

This constant clogging and inability to remove contaminants (opposite of 'self-cleaning') has got me concerned though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I wouldn’t worry to much about it. Lift will remove the Megs product down the line when it’s time to decontaminate.

One thing I just thought is maybe reload is still sticking around. Just because it loses its hydrophobic behavior pretty fast it does seem to stick around.

I should have posted get ready for coating haters to come in haha.

I would have thought this too if i didn't have such a hard time removing the Megs product after it was 5 months old prior to coating. Before Lift i had an intensive soap (NV Snow+) which is meant to be on par with Lift in terms of cleaning abilities, which I used for foam & hand wash. I also used Iron x and then hit the car again with NV Snow+ in a spray bottle at 1:10 and the coating didn't budge. Ended up removing it during polishing!

I did think this as well. I thought that maybe the Reload would be altering the hydrophobics on these panels but would it be enhancing the 'clogging' and making it harder to remove the grime?

It could be coming haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I had the same thought about Reload.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I had the same thought about Reload.
    I'm all out of Reload and prior to this I already decided not to buy again. Maybe over the next few washes as Reload breaks down these contaminants will be released and going forward this issue wont happen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast