autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How's Megs 105, LC 5" Cyan HydroFoam pad and PC 7424 combo

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Personally I think the concern over removing clear is a little over blown and causes more worry than it really should. Especially if you are working on your own cars. Once you correct them once you should not be putting major defects back into them so only polishing that removes very little clear should ever be needed afterward.
    Yes, and this has lead me to consider using more abrasive materials because I was always so afraid of easily going through the clear but I've recently seen tests where it is very hard to do that if you use the tool correctly.

I've also realized that my major complaint with my paint is the orange peel but I can live with it. I don't have any swirls. I'll use the 205 to polish and save the 105 for any small defects that may occur and need to be spot treated. It seems the only way to get rid of orange peel is with wet sanding or using the CarPro denim pads. I think I'll live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    This is the recommended speed per Mike Phillips. He says to apply the product on speed 4 and then bump up to speed 6. I guess it is that underpowered, yet it does a great job polishing, it just takes longer. I was hoping to speed up the process with more abrasive compounds and pads. I guess I will have to experiment as there are not a lot of folks here who use them.

The PC does a great job with 3" pads for correction for sure.
    It really is a great tool. If you’re not in a hurry or pressed for time, there’s no reason to get a more powerful machine. Especially if you’re working on softer paints. I’d also suggest if you wanted to speed things up, use a MF pad to do a couple of cutting passes then polish with the pad of your choice. I’d recommend trying out some Rupes Mille yellow pads as well.
    I agree that with a 3” BP they can do a lot!

3. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    It really is a great tool. If you’re not in a hurry or pressed for time, there’s no reason to get a more powerful machine. Especially if you’re working on softer paints. I’d also suggest if you wanted to speed things up, use a MF pad to do a couple of cutting passes then polish with the pad of your choice. I’d recommend trying out some Rupes Mille yellow pads as well.
    I agree that with a 3” BP they can do a lot!
    Yeah, every time I want to upgrade I realize it does everything I need. I'll check out that Rupes Mille Yellow Pad too. What compound do you recommend with the MF pad?

5. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like CarPro Ultracut, Sonax Cut Max and Griots Fast Correcting compound. In that order.
    You can also pair a MF pad with a polish like HyperPolish and make a pretty stout 1 step and can be aggressive where you need it to be.

7. Likes jem7sk, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    Yes, and this has lead me to consider using more abrasive materials because I was always so afraid of easily going through the clear but I've recently seen tests where it is very hard to do that if you use the tool correctly.

I've also realized that my major complaint with my paint is the orange peel but I can live with it. I don't have any swirls. I'll use the 205 to polish and save the 105 for any small defects that may occur and need to be spot treated. It seems the only way to get rid of orange peel is with wet sanding or using the CarPro denim pads. I think I'll live with it.
    If it’s factory paint with orange peel leave it alone. If it’s repainted then the denim pads are an option. Just keep in mind that they do a pretty good job but wet sanding will be even better. It’s an alternative for those that aren’t confident I. Their wet sanding technique. Also have plenty of denim pads as they load up fast. I just went through this process in my repainted car.

With that said M205 is pretty versatile and it’s cut can be adjusted with any pad. The downside to it is that it doesn’t always finish out on softer paints. Still a good polish.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I like CarPro Ultracut, Sonax Cut Max and Griots Fast Correcting compound. In that order.
    You can also pair a MF pad with a polish like HyperPolish and make a pretty stout 1 step and can be aggressive where you need it to be.
    All good options right here.

9. Likes jem7sk liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12