autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

amateur paint correction help

I realize this question has probably asked a lot but I was hoping for some help on my specific situation. I’ve now paint corrected my car twice and done my wife’s once. Overall, I was happy with the results but I think I went too conservative with cutting step, then used too hard of a pad for the polish as both cars still have a decent amount of deeper scratches but also some halo’ing - especially my wife’s black audi. I used griots garage orange pad + meguiars ultimate compound, then sonax green pad + mequiars ultimate polish on a porter cable 7424 DA.

My plan was to go with a Lake Country foamed wool pad + UC but am seeing mixed opinions on whether that’ll work well on a DA. Would a LC microfiber cutting pad be better or something like Griots boss fast correcting white pad? I’d then follow that up with a sonax grey polishing pad + UP.

I’d like to stick with the mequiars ultimate compound and polish as I think they’re probably best for a novice like me. is it just possible that these results are as good as it gets with these products? Below are a couple before/after shots of my wife’s 2015 audi sq5. I think the PO washed the thing with a rake O_O.

amateur paint correction help-51516b6f-3810-4edf-b028-dcc6d1887c52-jpg

amateur paint correction help-b2a53816-4723-48e5-abc4-cdcc2b51808c-jpg

TL;DR - what pads do you like best with meguairs UC & UP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails amateur paint correction help-51516b6f-3810-4edf-b028-dcc6d1887c52-jpg   amateur paint correction help-b2a53816-4723-48e5-abc4-cdcc2b51808c-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: amateur paint correction help

First...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Cool car!

Quote Originally Posted by Maff U View Post

I realize this question has probably asked a lot but I was hoping for some help on my specific situation. I’ve now paint corrected my car twice and done my wife’s once. Overall, I was happy with the results but I think I went too conservative with cutting step, then used too hard of a pad for the polish as both cars still have a decent amount of deeper scratches but also some halo’ing - especially my wife’s black audi.

I used griots garage orange pad + meguiars ultimate compound, then sonax green pad + mequiars ultimate polish on a porter cable 7424 DA.

That's not a bad combo for products and pads.

Questions

1: What size backing plate do you have on the PC?

2: What size pads are you using?

3: Do you see the pad rotating when buffing?

The larger the pad and the thicker the pad the less rotation you'll get out of a Porter Cable dual action polisher.

If the pad is not rotating, that is if it's stalling out - you're not doing anything. In other words you're not removing paint thus you're not leveling the surface thus you're not removing swirls.

Make sense?

3. Thanks Maff U thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Also...

Check this out, see if you're making any of the most common mistakes? If so, I share both the most common mistakes and the remedies.

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

Mike Phillips

My plan was to go with a Lake Country foamed wool pad + UC but am seeing mixed opinions on whether that’ll work well on a DA.
    The fibers on these pads are a tick on the long side for good paint correction. They will work but I would choose something else. FIRST I would check out what I wrote above and let's document the backing plate size and pad size.

The PC is a capable swirl remover when used with a 5" backing plate and the right pads.

Would a LC microfiber cutting pad be better or something like Griots boss fast correcting white pad?
    Both would be better than the "foamed wool pad" option.

Check out the new UDOS microfiber pad. It's very good.

I’d then follow that up with a sonax grey polishing pad + UP.
    That will work.

Also - SONAX does make 5.5" and 6" pads

SONAX Paint Polishing Foam Pads

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the quick reply!

I'm using a 6" backing plate, 6.3-6.5" pads, speed 5 (max is 6 i believe), 5-6 passes, light pressure, and the pad is definitely spinning quickly. i usually get about halfway done with each step and change pads. i haven't noticed much caking at all.

Just checked out the trouble shooting guide and i'm pretty sure i'm guilty of trying to do too big of a section and moving too quickly. I'll try and reel that in on my next attempt. what would be some telltale signs that i'm using too much product? that may also be an issue i'm having

little annoyed that i just put 15-20 hours into these cars and need to start all over :| . they look 90% better but i wanna go for 99%

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't a speed less than 6 on my PC when correcting. And light machine pressure to maintain spin

The product and the right pad should do the work for you.

Mike Phillips

I'm using a 6" backing plate, 6.3-6.5" pads, speed 5 (max is 6 i believe), 5-6 passes, light pressure, and the pad is definitely spinning quickly. i usually get about halfway done with each step and change pads. i haven't noticed much caking at all.

Just checked out the trouble shooting guide and i'm pretty sure i'm guilty of trying to do too big of a section and moving too quickly. I'll try and reel that in on my next attempt. what would be some telltale signs that i'm using too much product? that may also be an issue i'm having

little annoyed that i just put 15-20 hours into these cars and need to start all over :| . they look 90% better but i wanna go for 99%

Yup...

Before I or anyone tried to help solve your problem - the first thing to do was isolate the problem.

6" backing plates and ANY pad that fits a 6" backing plate is TOO FREAKING BIG for this weak and anemic tool. You'll simply be wasting your time.

Read, don't scan - my article here. Note that the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polish is the same type of tool as your Porter Cable only with a lot more power. Too bad Griot's discontinued it.

In this article is more information in a single thread than you can find on this topic of machine polishing with simple 8mm free spinning random orbital polishers than on ANY other social media platform. Yes it has that much info in it. Heck just the portion where I explain the history of microfiber pads is lost among all the gurus and experts in our industry unless - they've read this article.

There are also LINKS to get a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I won't even attempt to recommend pads as I don't have near the experience with different pads as Mike or others. But the polishes your are using (Meg's Ultimate), I have used and you should be able to achieve flawless results with them.

Regardless of pad/product, in most cases, it's likely that you can adjust the process (speed, pressure, wetness, etc.) to achieve the desired results with whatever pad/product is used (within reason).

As for your question relative to too much product... I don't see that as a concern other than a little extra clean-up effort. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that "too much" is better than "too little" with the products you are using. Error in that direction if you are unsure.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Lots of good info there.

i'll plan to grab a 5" backing pad and some 5-5.5" pads for the correcting step. given the fact that my porter cable is a little weakling, do you recommend running it at it's highest speed then? what sort of pressure should be used ~ 15lbs?

i wasn't aware of the fact that a soaked pad becomes less effective. would you advise against loading up the pad prior to first use then and just starting out on your first panel with 3 pea sized dots of compound and a dry pad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast