autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Weird roof spots after paint correction.

Hello guys, new to detailing, with a ton of hours spent on youtube videos and articles, haha.

So I grabbed myself a DA polisher 6", some Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish with some DA Rupes pads.

Did the whole car panel by panel and finished this week. My roof had the most damage.

Yesterday I was doing my last panel and washed the car , took me a while to dry so I got some water spots, minor and removed them easily.
    But my roof was a mess had a polka dot pattern, lol.

Tried to remove them with IPA, nope, vinegar 50/50 next day, nope.

Roof before I start, total mess.

Roof after clay-bar bilthamber medium.

First spot with Meguiars UC only

Almost half of my new UC bottle has gone, half roof is almost done and the other half had a fair amount of work on it too.

Next day I decided to sandpaper 1500-2000-3000 the other half to save time.
    Then UC -> IPA -> UP to all of the roof & added a Fusso-coat 12 months sealant without using IPA on UP to keep the glaze.

Final results:

Can't get a good picture but my problem a week later appeared:

Asked around, someone told me it might be Fusso coat teflon additive is rejecting any leftover oils or stuff from the polish pushing it to the surface?

Another thought of mine is, when it rain, my water was beading in the roof when every other car was dry. Could it have worked as a magnifying glass and burned through the clear coat in a day or two?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird roof spots after paint correction.

I don't know what your issue is... But I have seen sun and water beads cause some discoloration before and I thought the same as you - the magnifying glass effect.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really like you see a before/after of the entire car. Huge transformation.

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed for interest AND that green paint! You mentioned Bilt-Hamber and even though I have Bilt-Hamber carwash soap I'm in the U.S....are you in the U.K?

Can we see the carWeird roof spots after paint correction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I don't know what your issue is... But I have seen sun and water beads cause some discoloration before and I thought the same as you - the magnifying glass effect.
    But could this be done in like a day or two?

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    I always forget to take pictures! Been raining a lot lately, will try to take an after picture after a good wash when I find some sun!haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Subscribed for interest AND that green paint! You mentioned Bilt-Hamber and even though I have Bilt-Hamber carwash soap I'm in the U.S....are you in the U.K?

Can we see the carWeird roof spots after paint correction.
    Green paint is from a Mitsubishi Colt CJ (Green Perl Metallic) probably Mitsubishi Mirage in the states.
    You are correct, I got the clay bar from Amazon UK, but I am from Greece and lately people are getting into car detailing and suppliers got them locally.
    Car was repainted on stock color by the previous owner and clear coat is already pealing on edges. No dismantle in the paint I guess, just paper and tapes, they also painted some rubber seals too, lol.
    Will wait for a sunny day and a wash and will upload some pics! I always forget to grab a photo!

For now I got this before/after hood and a top view from my balcony, haha.

Post Thanks / Like

if you think it s the fusso coat , then I would just polish off those areas again and this time use IPA ( hope you are diluting it ) , and then re apply the fusso coat or something else.

I would use a light polish though , like meguiers ultimate polish , you could even try removing one spot by hand with ultimate compound

However , looking at the condition of the roof before you started and reading that you even wet sanded some areas , I would be more worry about the clearcoat failing . Maybe you just went a little too hard and the clear coating if just showing signs of failing

Anyways, I would def try polishing off to make sure you remove the fusso coat first before you jump into conclusions..

I would also be curious to know if the area where you are getting those circles is the area that was wet sand , maybe you just did not compound that area well enough and it just needs more compound , just saying...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    if you think it s the fusso coat , then I would just polish off those areas again and this time use IPA ( hope you are diluting it ) , and then re apply the fusso coat or something else.

I would use a light polish though , like meguiers ultimate polish , you could even try removing one spot by hand with ultimate compound

However , looking at the condition of the roof before you started and reading that you even wet sanded some areas , I would be more worry about the clearcoat failing . Maybe you just went a little too hard and the clear coating if just showing signs of failing

Anyways, I would def try polishing off to make sure you remove the fusso coat first before you jump into conclusions..

I would also be curious to know if the area where you are getting those circles is the area that was wet sand , maybe you just did not compound that area well enough and it just needs more compound , just saying...

Hello there and sorry for my late reply. Didn't touch the car since then. Today I made a good wash and I got some pictures.
    All of the areas are affected the same on the roof - both wet sand and compounded one, and I think it's worst now.
    Picture lighting hides the edges, it's everywhere on the roof not only in the middle part.
    Spoiler and hood didn't get any of those marks but they were in a better condition, all of my panels were treated the same way, UC-UP-Fusso coat, although I believe water stays on roof for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Here are some pictures my friend!

Rear bumper is freshly painted.
    Headlights done too, they are cracked (spider cracks?) from the inside I think tho, but anyway!
    I have this love for 5 years and didn't treat her good (Only clayed-waxed the hood once or twice?), I just started tho!
    Haven't touched the front bumper yet, has some big scratches but I hate the part that previous owner cut through the plastic to add fog lights, and you can see unpainted area.
    Dunno what to do, hope I can find a cheap stock bumper and repaint it.
    Exhaust muffler needs a polish too, will be done soon

8. Likes Klasse Act, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you made an incredible attempt at saving that roof paint. I was actually quite surprised that you got the level of improvement shown in your initial before/after shots.

But... In my opinion it is beyond the point of no return.

The clear-coat has deteriorated so badly that it is structurally compromised and unable to retain the improvement you made during polishing. It's durability and reliability has been degraded too far. The improvements you make in its appearance by polishing are only temporary. There is nothing specific that you could reasonably point to as causing the issue you are experiencing... The clear-coat is just too far gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Clear coat is failing. My Jeep was the same way. I could polish/compound it till it looked great but would spot up and oxidize again within weeks/month..
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I think you made an incredible attempt at saving that roof paint. I was actually quite surprised that you got the level of improvement shown in your initial before/after shots.

But... In my opinion it is beyond the point of no return.

The clear-coat has deteriorated so badly that it is structurally compromised and unable to retain the improvement you made during polishing. It's durability and reliability has been degraded too far. The improvements you make in its appearance by polishing are only temporary. There is nothing specific that you could reasonably point to as causing the issue you are experiencing... The clear-coat is just too far gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Clear coat is failing. My Jeep was the same way. I could polish/compound it till it looked great but would spot up and oxidize again within weeks/month..

Oh I see, thanks for the replies guys.
    Well it was a good first day with a polisher on hand workout, just to get used to the vibration my Chinese DA is making
    No worries just a couple of days lost and 60% of UC bottle haha.

I guess I will have to repaint it soon, will try to spray paint & clear coat some areas that have clear coat gone and try to blend the color.
    But I don't think I can paint the whole roof with a spray, so I guess I will do it professionally at some point!
    Before that I will try to compound once more and see the results as a test. Thanks again!