autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NevrDull on Chrome Passenger Running Board - Never had this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Gotcha.

The 850 was a Godsend for me. IMO
    Godsend with a capital G eh? Alrighty then, makes note. Lol

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Godsend with a capital G eh? Alrighty then, makes note. Lol

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Ok 1st of all, and I can’t believe this question hasn’t been asked yet.. Yes it may be a stupid question but still, is this piece on the Harley Davidson? Is this real chrome or chrome plated plastic chrome? Not PVD is it?
    Did the Nevr Dull dull out any of the chrome anywhere else on the bike?

As far as a possible solution, odds are like others have said there might not be 1… However if I only had 1 shot with 1 product, I’d reach for the BriteMax Easy Cut. This is the only stuff I’ve ever used that removed not only heavy spotting and oxidation from plastic chrome but also fine scratches which until then I thought there was no remedy for. If step 1 doesn’t work, bust out the buffer and try it again.

And send Nevr Dull a picture of that and see what they’ve got to say. Because I’d be upset.
    Looks like one has to go to England to get the easy cut. Do you have a U.S. source?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    Looks like one has to go to England to get the easy cut. Do you have a U.S. source?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I bought it here on Autogeek. It was on the outlet sale like most of the Britemax still is today.. Unfortunately it appears to be sold out now. The Final Cut Metal Polish appears on the list at half price, but if you click on it, it too says it’s “out of stock”

Post Thanks / Like

I see it now, thanks. I will be contacting AG to see if they foresee getting it back in stock and if not will be ordering direct. I have some plastic chrome trim with tiny scratches and would love to try and get those out.

Post Thanks / Like

On perfect chrome I use Brasso. Cleans extremely well and is good for soft metals like brass.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    I see it now, thanks. I will be contacting AG to see if they foresee getting it back in stock and if not will be ordering direct. I have some plastic chrome trim with tiny scratches and would love to try and get those out.
    Also consider trying McKee’s Glass Restorer. It works great on chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the responses. The chrome surface was not in really bad shape. I'd added them a couple years back. The cloudy part looked like the good shiny part before I hit it with the wadding. It's a metal part. I also hit it hard. Not going to hide this, if it's why it happened, but that's why I'm here asking. It just seems strange.

I hit this when I started to polish the chrome on the rest of the bike. There is something different about this chrome. I've worked with chrome before and I've used NevrDull plenty of times..... and on this bike, but not on that part. Last year the dealer left a piece of blue tape on the underside of my chrome exhaust cover. I didn't discover it until I went to clean the bike. Nothing I was trying was working, so I wadded up a piece of aluminum foil and wetted it and removed the baked on tape that way. I went at it pretty aggressively and when I was done, the soft aluminum had done nothing at all to mar the surface of the chrome.

I didn't think I could damage chrome with this wadding alone. I've used this wadding on other chrome parts as aggressively. I could see this happening to some kind of clear coat, but not on a chrome surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    Thank you for the responses. The chrome surface was not in really bad shape. I'd added them a couple years back. The cloudy part looked like the good shiny part before I hit it with the wadding. It's a metal part. I also hit it hard. Not going to hide this, if it's why it happened, but that's why I'm here asking. It just seems strange.

I hit this when I started to polish the chrome on the rest of the bike. There is something different about this chrome. I've worked with chrome before and I've used NevrDull plenty of times..... and on this bike, but not on that part. Last year the dealer left a piece of blue tape on the underside of my chrome exhaust cover. I didn't discover it until I went to clean the bike. Nothing I was trying was working, so I wadded up a piece of aluminum foil and wetted it and removed the baked on tape that way. I went at it pretty aggressively and when I was done, the soft aluminum had done nothing at all to mar the surface of the chrome.

I didn't think I could damage chrome with this wadding alone. I've used this wadding on other chrome parts as aggressively. I could see this happening to some kind of clear coat, but not on a chrome surface.
    Not all chrome plating are equated equal. Wheels especially..the brand named wheels have a hardy amount of chrome and the cheaper wheels have very thin plating. Yes I've damaged cheaper chrome wheels with Never Dull and I don't see why this doesn't hold true for other chrome parts.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve tried many metal polishes & techniques on many metals; mostly on antiques - not autos. For something like this, IME the best 2 are Blue Magic (avail OTC) & Flitz. Really, the BM is less $ & just as good if not better.

Nevr Dull is pretty bad. It causes marring & isn’t very effective. It’s like using a paint polish from 1991 that doesn’t get rid of swirls - but leaves micro marring all over.

If there is any chance to fix this chrome, you will likely need some machine power & different grits of metal polishing compounds (bars). Polishing marring (scratches) out of chrome is extremely difficult. I’d start one step a live red rouge on a cotton buff wheel & move up as necessary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast