autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Vibration! Orbital (DA) Polishers

Earlier today I replied to a thread in which the OP was questioning the vibration level of his polisher. Following my reply, I thought I'd share my thoughts in a dedicated thread to discuss this topic generically. Here's my earlier reply...

If you want a perfectly smooth polisher without any vibration - you need a rotary.

Orbital polishers by their nature can not and will never be completely vibration free. With the ideal counterweight, backing plate, and pad it may be vibration free in some configurations but not in all. The weight of the pad will change dependent on the amount of product it is holding. As that weight changes the balance of the machine is altered.

Essentially what you have is a machine that may be in perfect balance and vibration free... Until you add the weight of the product into the mix. Now the balance is compromised. I'm sure the machine manufacturers address this in the design, but they have to make assumptions and compromises. The basic physics associated with the machine operation preclude perfect balance under all conditions. You can't offset the mass of the backing plate and pad from the centerline of rotation and maintain perfect balance as the weight of the pad is constantly changing due to the amount of product it is retaining.

You can experiment with different backing plates and pads to minimize vibration, but you will never be able to eliminate the vibration completely for all of the varying conditions in which the machine is used.

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vibration! Orbital (DA) Polishers

Rotary polishers are very smooth.. I think that was the biggest surprise when I tried one.

4. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember, orbitals and rotaries are apples and oranges, orbitals are used for polishing and spreading product, rotaries are used for correction, major correction. At least that’s my opinion. If you are into Detailing -complete Detailing- you own both but neither can be exchanged for the other, they both have separate duties. Yes, a rotary can be used for polishing but I don’t see why you never want to do that , based upon a random orbital being much safer.

I have owned 4 orbitals, one flex, 2 Griots, and one Harbor freight. None of them vibrated so much so that it was ever a problem. I expected them to vibrate, just like my sander.
    Glen -

6. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One other thought I have with random orbital machines (probably applies to any machine) - Just like performance driving, as a user you need to check in on yourself and make sure you're not death gripping the machine. If you're locked onto it, you're transferring all that energy into yourself.

I had a friend that would get wicked arm pump when go-karting. Once we talked about it, he realized he was white knuckling the wheel the whole time. After that he loosened up and just drove and had a much better experience.

Since I don't get to run a polisher as much as I'd like (where it becomes complete second nature), I make sure to check from time to time that I'm running the machine, not unnecessarily muscling it around.

8. Likes Big Dave, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    One other thought I have with random orbital machines (probably applies to any machine) - Just like performance driving, as a user you need to check in on yourself and make sure you're not death gripping the machine. If you're locked onto it, you're transferring all that energy into yourself.

I had a friend that would get wicked arm pump when go-karting. Once we talked about it, he realized he was white knuckling the wheel the whole time. After that he loosened up and just drove and had a much better experience.

Since I don't get to run a polisher as much as I'd like (where it becomes complete second nature), I make sure to check from time to time that I'm running the machine, not unnecessarily muscling it around.
    Great Point!

10. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

Very, very true.

I learned eons ago on other power tools to "Let the TOOL do the work".

With a DA machine, your main goal as the user is to just guide it while applying sufficient pressure. (Which isn't much).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I’m using a DA I don’t use any pressure at all ,my hand just guides it where I want it to go , literally my palm is just touching the unit, I’m holding it with kind of my fingers. I let the weight do the work. And if that doesn’t get it done, I just do it again. I’m a big believer in multiple, multiple passes with the least aggressive actions, products and pads as possible. I’d much rather under do it then overdo it. Don’t ask me why I’m that way, but suffice to say it involved rubbing compound and an orange pad… LOL
    Glen -

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    When I’m using a DA I don’t use any pressure at all ,my hand just guides it wants I want it to go , literally my palm is just touching the unit, I’m holding it with kind of my fingers. I let the weight do the work. And if that doesn’t get it done, I just do it again. I’m a big believer in multiple, multiple passes with the least aggressive actions, products and pads as possible. I’d much rather under do it then overdo it. Don’t ask me why I’m that way, but suffice to say it involved rubbing compound and an orange pad… LOL
    Tried that when first using my 3401 and walked all over my hood. Took me some time, but it took some time behind the wheel.