autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Flex Supa Beast

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex Supa Beast

Have the new style Flex supa beast
    If i use it above speed 3 it just wants to walk and drag me with it. This is mainly when doing the roof even if i have my hand on the front of the machine, it starts acting like a bucking bronco.
    How Mike P runs it on speed 6 with out a chain round his waist
    Im using the new Rupes Microfibre pads Blue and Blue Compound
    on the plus side results are great
    If i need to switch to foam how do i stop it dusting when compounding with Rupes
    It seems to start dusting by the second set of passes
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Flex Supa Beast

Gear driven orbital and microfiber are not a good combination. You'll get the walking effect much more with microfiber.

If you need aggressive correction try a wool pad.

You may just need to practice holding the polisher when you move it across the paint too. Knowing how to lift/tilt to keep the polisher moving in the right direction.

Be careful not to dry buff either. If you don't have enough product on the surface (especially when cutting) you may not have enough lubrication to keep the pad rotating smoothly.

Dusting happens because the product is junk or you are overworking it (haven't used DA Course yet so I can't say which it is but I've read it has a tendency to dust). Usually generating too much heat drying it out. Try faster arm speed, less pressure, or lower speed on the tool to see if you can get a handle on it.

Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex Supa Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoupe View Post
    If i use it above speed 3 it just wants to walk and drag me with it. This is mainly when doing the roof even if i have my hand on the front of the machine, it starts acting like a bucking bronco.
    If i need to switch to foam how do i stop it dusting when compounding with Rupes
    Thanks
    Mike teaches that "walking" is due to not holding the pad/machine flat. Concentrate on keeping it flat to the surface. It makes all the difference.

Mike Phillips

I never run the tool that slow. When you do it's not smooooothhhhh

Bump that throttle up to the 5 speed stting with a foam polishing pad or foam finishing pad and spend some time on a flat panel getting to know her.

Don't give up, the first time I road a bike I wrecked but I got back on tried again.

5. Likes opie liked this post
    Mike Phillips

First a comment....

I hate to assume but often time I end up assuming on this forum because I don't have complete information.

So I'm going to assume you're using this tool with the factory backing plate?

One of the reasons I switched ALL the Supa BEASTS in our garage and all the CBEASTS over to the optional 6" backing plate is because... when you do this and then switch over to a larger footprint buffing pad - it helps to smooth the machine out. I noticed this same thing with the RUPES Mille and I have switched all but one of our Mille's out to the larger 6" RUPES backing plates for this same reason.

Here's my article on this topic.

Supa BEAST and CBEAST Backing Plate Swap by Mike Phillips

I'm assuming you mean this one?

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

The above RUPES fiber pad in my opinion works great on the Supa BEAST. I don't need this much cut often but when I do - I use this pad.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

Gear driven orbital and microfiber are not a good combination. You'll get the walking effect much more with microfiber.
    I agree 100% - I find most microfiber pads on any gear-driven orbital polisher, (FLEX, RUPES & Makita), to be GRABBY.

And as far as I know, here's the first time the word grabby was used to describe how a microfiber pad feels on a gear-driven orbital.

From the year 2012 - See post #31

2012 Dodge Challenger + Menzerna Color Lock Makeover

And here's a dedicated article on this topic,

That "Grabby" feel - Thin vs Thick MF pads on Dual Action Polishers

But yeah, in most cases I don't like microfiber pads on gear-driven polishers. The new RUPES coarse wool pads are the first "fiber" pads I thought buffed really good on the BEAST family of tools.

Here's what RUPES says about them,

Coarse wool polishing pads for random orbital, gear driven, and triple action - Rupes tools

The coarse wool polishing pads for random orbital, gear driven, and triple action, are especially designed for severe paint defect removal. The blue foam of the coarse wool pad is more rigid and dense which maximizes the translation of tool movement to the work surface, providing increased cutting power.

All the pads in the coarse wool range are constructed using two distinct fiber lengths creating a dual density wool surface and a specific visible pattern. More than just an aesthetic detail, this configuration provides a great balance of cutting power and finishing ability when compared to traditional or single density wool pads.

Unique design.

Mike Phillips

This is mainly when doing the roof even if i have my hand on the front of the machine, it starts acting like a bucking bronco

It's not my first rodeo...

The combination of the fiber pad and low speed is causing the pad to hop.

Before learning with a fiber pad, start out using a foam pad to get used to the tool. And bring your speed up after spreading the product out.

[/QUOTE]

Is this the NEW compound in the new DA System RUPES recently introduced?

One thing you can try is using more product.

Mike Phillips

One more before leaving for the day...

For foam pads, see this thread,

Buffing Pad Recommendations for the FLEX BEASTS Trio - BEAST - Supa BEAST - CBEAST

The orange one is good for most correction work.

I still have not warmed up to the new RUPES blue coarse foam pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thank you for this! I just bought the SUPA Beast and I am using my Flex 3401 as my back up after 5 brutal years of abuse. I have the 6" Backing Plate but have no CLUE about the Rupes pads. Looks like I need to do a little research and get me some.

As for the SUPA Beast, based on my 1st impressions, it's actually easier to use then the 3401. But until I do a full detail I won't know. I can tell you for sure....much more QUIETER than the 3401!

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!