autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Paint Prep Solution?

I've read Dawn does very little. I'm going to polish first. I don't want to half@ss it.

2. Likes PaulMys, dwaleke, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cameradude View Post
    You could also try washing the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to help strip the wax but if it were mine...I’d still polish then wipe with a prep or IPA then do your coating. That new of a car shouldnt need a decon but then again...it couldnt hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That myth has been busted. Dawn does not strip any decent wax/sealant. What it does is leave a film on the paint that masks the effect of the protection you're trying to remove. Then you think it did what you wanted but not only is the protection still there, it now also has that film on top that will make it even harder for any protection you want to add to the paint to adhere properly. Dawn is made for dishes, not cars. Keep it away from the garage.
    Bruno Soares

4. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209, dwaleke, PaulMys, DFB, opie liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    That myth has been busted. Dawn does not strip any decent wax/sealant. What it does is leave a film on the paint that masks the effect of the protection you're trying to remove. Then you think it did what you wanted but not only is the protection still there, it now also has that film on top that will make it even harder for any protection you want to add to the paint to adhere properly. Dawn is made for dishes, not cars. Keep it away from the garage.
    ...it may have a crappy wax/sealantBest Paint Prep Solution?Best Paint Prep Solution?
    Plus if you gonna decon and polish anyway, then wipe down...dont think there’s gonna be any trace of Dawn left.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you planning to apply?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    What are you planning to apply?
    Most likely Griot's 3 in 1. Or TWSNS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Most likely Griot's 3 in 1. Or TWSNS.
    I would just take my chances and apply it over whats there if you don’t want to polish given you chemically decontaminate and use the prep wipe of your choice. It will eventually become your main sort of protection.

The benefit of a spray is you can use it as often as you like.

9. Likes Texchappy, PaulMys, CleanIT, DFB, ducksfan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cameradude View Post
    You could also try washing the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to help strip the wax but if it were mine...I’d still polish then wipe with a prep or IPA then do your coating. That new of a car shouldnt need a decon but then again...it couldnt hurt.

Bruno nailed it.

And I know most people have not used/do not trust the 3M Adhesive Remover that Bob posted. But it really does work, and is clear coat safe.

But like Mike P. posted, there is no better way to do it than to machine polish any LSP off the paint.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes CleanIT, Bruno Soares, opie, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As [mention]Klasse Act [/mention] mention the kleen strip preps all is very popular and gets good reviews.

I personally like CarPro Eraser but recently tried BF paint prep and it seems to work just as well.

13. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea why Dawn / Dish wash keeps getting recommended for strip washing these days.

There are a range of decon soaps on the market, CarPro Lift or NV Snow+ for example, that do the job without the residue issues imparted from the use of Dawn.

Now, technically the residue will be polished off, but then why bother to do the Dawn wash in the first place?

15. Likes Bruno Soares, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So i won’t use dish soap on my car. But a weird scenario.......

I soak some applicators i used to apply wax and soaked them in an APC overnight. No go after rinsing out. Tried overnight with P&S R2R..... still no go.

Then i soaked them in Palmolive for an hour and they rinsed alot cleaner. I do feel like the dish soap did a good job of breaking down the wax.

I don’t know if the same can be said for waxes or sealants but it was a night and day difference.

I keep reading that the Dawn myth had been busted. Is their an article that anyone knows of? Would love to read.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast