autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The term "passes" when polishing

When people refer to polishing and they say it took “3 passes” to get the swirls out, do they mean 3 different times of breaking the polish down or they just went over the area 3 times in a single polish breakdown.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The term "passes" when polishing

Three times of breaking the polish down completely... You MUST break the polish down completely each time or you will introduce more marring. The polish, machine, speed, and other environmental variables will determine how many times you must go over the area to properly break down the polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Application Stages:
    • Polish an area approx 24-inch x 24-inch from left to right once you’ve polished this area (one pass) repeat as necessary
    • Keep repeating these passes using progressive pressure (initial speed #3-5) You want to keep working the product into the panel until it `hazes' to an almost dry state.
    • Depending on the types of surface abrasions you're dealing with, increase speed and pressure as necessary. Just remember that more speed plus more pressure equals more aggressive cutting, so be careful around ridges and raised surfaces.
    • Maintain the same pressure while working the product, it may take three or four passes to complete before the residue can be removed. Residue when it’s gone a little translucent (looks a bit like Vaseline) but it isn't dry yet; that's when you want to remove it, once you see the desired results move on to the next area, or repeat the process as necessary.

See also Diminishing Abrasives -http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/school-exterior-detailing/1865-diminishing-abrasives.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Application Stages:
    • Polish an area approx 24-inch x 24-inch from left to right once you’ve polished this area (one pass) repeat as necessary
    • Keep repeating these passes using progressive pressure (initial speed #3-5) You want to keep working the product into the panel until it `hazes' to an almost dry state.
    • Depending on the types of surface abrasions you're dealing with, increase speed and pressure as necessary. Just remember that more speed plus more pressure equals more aggressive cutting, so be careful around ridges and raised surfaces.
    • Maintain the same pressure while working the product, it may take three or four passes to complete before the residue can be removed. Residue when it’s gone a little translucent (looks a bit like Vaseline) but it isn't dry yet; that's when you want to remove it, once you see the desired results move on to the next area, or repeat the process as necessary.

See also Diminishing Abrasives -http://www.detailuniversity.com/forums/school-exterior-detailing/1865-diminishing-abrasives.html

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reflective Images Automotive Detailing

Brian S. Garner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Application Stages:

I have to respectfully disagree with this answer... not that the information isn't correct but that it's misleading in regards to the OPs question. Unless I'm mistaken, the OP is asking what is meant by "passes" is posts such as, "Paint Correction:
    (Menzerna's Intensive Polish via UDM & LC Orange Polishing Pad)

This clear coat was pretty darn hard. The hood, roof, and deck lid took two passes. I just took my time and let the polish break down and go clear. There was a little dusting but I was in full sun and the results compensated for it." - From a post by just30513

In this post, I believe it is clear that when he says he made two "passes" he means that he weant through 2 complete polishing cycles with Menz IP, taking his time and completely breaking the polish down (using as many "passes" per cycle as it took).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry..you're all wrong on this one. "Passes" refer specifically to how many times the bottle of Canadian (it has to be Canadian!) beer gets passed from the ground to your lips...obviously to thouroughly work a product, the more passes, the better!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    I'm sorry..you're all wrong on this one. "Passes" refer specifically to how many times the bottle of Canadian (it has to be Canadian!) beer gets passed from the ground to your lips...obviously to thouroughly work a product, the more passes, the better!!
    I must just be in a disagreeable mood today, but... I think completely working THIS product in a single "pass" is perfectly fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by makdaddy626 View Post
    I must just be in a disagreeable mood today, but... I think completely working THIS product in a single "pass" is perfectly fine.
    NOW you're getting the hang of it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think a warning is in order here:

WARNING!!! Canadian Beer (as well as other alcoholic beverages) function similar to a glaze - defects (in members of the opposite sex (or the same - don't ask don't tell )) are not really removed, only hidden for a short time until the product wears off - it's durabilty is extremely short without constant reapplication.

Just thought people should know... you don't want experience the pain of waking up and thinking... ###??? He/She looked FLAWLESS last night?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by makdaddy626 View Post
    I think a warning is in order here:

WARNING!!! Canadian Beer (as well as other alcoholic beverages) function similar to a glaze - defects (in members of the opposite sex (or the same - don't ask don't tell )) are not really removed, only hidden for a short time until the product wears off - it's durabilty is extremely short without constant reapplication.

Just thought people should know... you don't want experience the pain of waking up and thinking... ###??? He/She looked FLAWLESS last night?
    LMAO!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast