autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone using TWO DA's?

I find changing the pad on my Meguiar's MT320 to be really difficult - I'm worried I'm gonna damage a pad. In addition it's time consuming. I am seriously considering buying a second one - one machine for compounding and one for polishing. As a pro detailer speed and convenience are important.

Am I crazy!?
    Last edited by keegancarcare; 04-24-2021 at 06:22 AM. Reason: typos

Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone using TWO DA's?

Quote Originally Posted by keegancarcare View Post
    I find changing the pad on my Meguiar's MT320 to be really difficult - I'm worried I'm gonna damage a pad. In addition it's time consuming. I am seriously considering buting a second one - ne machine for compunding and one for polishing. As a pro detailer speed andc onvenience is important.

Am I crazy!?
    Are you implying putting a different pad on each and doing the whole job with just one pad each?
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Are you implying putting a different pad on each and doing the whole job with just one pad each?
    Well, not exactly (because your reply has indicated I should be using multiple pads and I'm willing to do that ). However, most of the time I can get away with one compounding and one polishing pad because I only do light correction on some panels - not the whole car and I just want to make things a little easier. Changing (Meguiars) pads frequently is a pain at the moment. I was thinking that having two machines at the ready (with different pads) would make work a little easier. However, I recently buffed more or less a whole vehicle (light correction) and cleaned the pad as I went. But after doing more research I definitely plan on getting plenty more pads.

The thing is, I'm also considering reintroducing a rotary to my kit too. Your ideas / suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by keegancarcare; 04-25-2021 at 06:22 AM. Reason: better reply

Post Thanks / Like

Well you should be changing pads frequently enough that I wouldn't think that would be the driver for a second machine.

But having multiple types of machines makes absolute sense. 8mm da, 15, 22, 3", 5", forced rotation DA, rotary, etc.

5. Thanks keegancarcare thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the pad damage concern stem from removing the pad off the velcro on the backing plate And being worried about the bad ripping apart?

7. Thanks keegancarcare thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally you’d need about 6 pads for each step anyways. So you’re going to buy a dozen polishers?

Just change the pad.

It makes sense if the machines are different, maybe a 3” and 5” polisher, or one being forced and one being free spinning, but two of the same just to avoid changing pads makes no sense.
    Bruno Soares

9. Thanks keegancarcare thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke, PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for using more pads - neither compounding or polishing is a one pad affair!

If you’re a professional doing this for money, it sounds like you should look into a forced rotation unit like dwaleke mentions. The Flex machines especially are very popular with folks where time is money as you can work through a job without worrying about pitch perfect technique to maintain pad rotation (thus: correction). Rupes and Makita also have forced rotation machines.

If you’re having trouble getting pads off your backing plate, try sliding a popsicle stick or something similar between the pad and plate to start separating the Velcro so you’re not pulling on the foam risking damaging your pads. If your backing plate/pads bond that well, maybe you could put a small piece of tape at the edge of the backing plate to give your finger somewhere to slide in to start separating them.
    The moments spent changing pads will pay off greatly both in the quality of results and the speed of cut of a fresh pad.

How many pads have you been using per step?

Also, to answer the title of the thread - I’m a hobbyist and I use 2 machines. I’ve got a Griot’s G9 (DA) I use with both 6.5 and 5.5” pads (and appropriate backing plates) as well as a G8 3” (DA). Just upgraded to the G8 from the previous generation; it came with a 2” backing plate as well so I’ve now got a lot of options to match the machine/pad to the area getting corrected.

Post Thanks / Like

A polisher for each pad. (If only.)

Many Detailers on this forum have related
    that have used upwards of 15-20 pads, or
    more, on some jobs.

Imagine what they’d have to charge their
    Customers in order to make a career out
    of Detailing...let alone any chance for an
    acceptable R.O.I.

These factoids, alone, would be cause
    enough: for me to learn how to efficiently
    change out buffing pads—POSTHASTE!

{Practice; practice; practice. }

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Thanks keegancarcare thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't had to change the backing plate on any of my Rupes (LHR21 Mk3, 75E and iBrid Nano) due to pad separation related damage, the Claw pad removal tool Rupes sells makes it quick and painless to swap pads on their buffers.

Now my old Flex BEAST Hand Warmer edition is another story, the backing plate did start to peel away at the edges, but I think it had more to do with how hot it gets at the head of the BEAST (at least the older ones) and less the pad changes. At around $40 a backing plate every few years, can't really complain there either.

14. Thanks keegancarcare thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurnsDetailing View Post
    the Claw pad removal tool Rupes sells makes it quick and painless to swap pads on their buffers.

anyone using TWO DA's?-claw-jpg

16. Thanks keegancarcare thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.