autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a little advise

How about this stuff?
    I just washed it with this .
    Seemed pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfan1 View Post
    How about this stuff?
    Seemed pretty good.

Read all the labels on Chemical Guy's products and it's the best since can beer. They have the best ad writers on this planet.

Post Thanks / Like

How about this stuff?
    Seemed pretty good.

Better than using Dawn.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the hardest part will be doing the hood while standing on a front tire.
    The hood is almost six feet from the ground
    Need a little advise

Do like mike said and get a platform. Don’t wanna lean against paint (even if you lay something down) when trying to balance on the tire.

With that size truck i’d rethink getting a long throw (21mm probably) with all that flat real estate. Gonna be a while with a tiny 8mm throw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

As Mike has posted in some pics he's added, those little platforms to stand on are great to have. They often sell quite cheap on Black Friday Sales.
    Otherwise, and additionally,a good strong lightweight Ladder will come in handy for hood, roof. Yeah, it's a pain getting up and down and gets tiresome.

As for touch up paint, the Dr. Colorchip system is about the easiest and best that I have come across.

Megs #205 is a great product. So are products from the Wolfgang line-up like Total Swirl Remover (TSR) and their Uber Compound. The Uber Compound is a little more aggressive for dealing with slightly deeper sleeks and might be a benefit on harder paint, which your Silverado might likely have. It also finishes down beautifully.

Others might suggest Carpro Essence, or Essence Plus if you will again go with a Carpro Coating.

Otherwise with other brand polishes, it merely means a good wipedown with Carpro Eraser prior to coating.

Tapes, have lots of tapes! To protect Trim-Badges while polishing, and as well to lastly mask areas where you don't want a coating, or any other products to go.

Others might suggest a Polisher other than a Porter Cable, but they are a great all around DA, versatile where different Backing Plates and Pads can be used.

Decon will be important prior to another coating, so products like Iron-X and Clay will be good to use first after washing and prior to polishing and coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I should add that when the truck was new I had it ceramic coated and the guy that did it said it took him forever to do the polishing. Lot of factory installed defects and rail dust.
    I've always wondered how many times can you polish it before you start getting too deep into the clear coat?
    Here's a pic after the CarPro.

Post Thanks / Like

I should add that when the truck was new I had it ceramic coated and the guy that did it said it took him forever to do the polishing. Lot of factory installed defects and rail dust.
    I've always wondered how many times can you polish it before you start getting too deep into the clear coat?
    Here's a pic after the CarPro.

Compounding does remove some clear, but you normally don't compound every six months. Polishing removes very little clear (5-10 microns).

8. Thanks dieselfan1 thanked for this post
    Likes dieselfan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Id go for a griots da over the pc or if you got the $ get a rupes. Or look into cordless!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bolts View Post
    Id go for a griots da over the pc or if you got the $ get a rupes. Or look into cordless!
    What ever you get go bigger. My arms ache just thinking of tacklimg that truck with a PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Common question. Anytime a question or topic gets asked a lot or becomes "common" - and especially on any social media platform I'm working on - instead of answering the question - I simply write an article for the topic that answers the question.

Then instead of taking the time to type out dedicated answers - I simply share the article. This is also why you find at the top of all my articles, reviews and anything substantial - a "title" that is also a blue >clickable< link. Then at least I can simply copy and paste the link while keeping the formatting intact. Can't do any of this on FB or IG

In a nutshell - instead of wondering how many times you can polish your car before causing harm - think of it this way, AFTER getting the paint right - start washing it and "touching" it carefully. Make sure ANYTHING that touches the paint is clean, soft and most important.

UN-CONTAMINATED

Here's my article on your question,

How many times can I correct my car's paint? (before going through the clearcoat)

And here's my article/video how to take care of things that "touch" the paint.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

And I found both of these by going to Skynet, typing in a few key words for the topic and then adding my first and last name.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123