autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Greasy Mess from dealer

Well, we pulled the trigger and got a new family hauler. 2018 Odyssey in red. I’m actually pretty happy with it since it’s not my daily Greasy Mess from dealer

But I need some input. I couldn’t get to them fast enough before the kid with a greasy towel got to it. It has been sitting on the lot for 4 months so it wasn’t pleasant. They meant well, but I didn’t want the greasy junk all over it. So now it’s more of a mess. Any pro tips on cutting through all that? I was planning on using a dedicated strip wash, claying, etc. but I wanted to see if y’all had any pro tips.

Also, the bright work trim is pretty funky and cloudy. What’s the best approach to cleaning that up? Didn’t know if metal polish would be to harsh or not.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greasy Mess from dealer

After you wash and clay the paint, what is your plan from there... Dedicated polish followed by a LSP, or a cleaner wax/AIO? By hand or machine? For a family truckster like yours I'd probably go with a machine application of an AIO.

And the AIO is a very safe first step for cleaning up the brightwork. If it's not enough then you could try some dedicated metal polish.

I'm not recommending any specific products because there are so many good ones and everyone will have their own opinion there. Pick a brand you like and trust and have at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Doh. Yeah, important detail there.

Yeah, I'm gonna polish it because there are some spots that need it. I would really like to try ceramic coating it just to make future maintenance easier, but I've never done one and they honestly intimidate me a little. I've got BF One Step that I've used a a few cars now and I've been pretty happy with the results.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to try a coating, use a spray coating product. I've never used one but they sound like a piece-of-cake to apply. And I think BF has one that you can use right over the BF One Step.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cgdalton View Post

I couldn’t get to them fast enough before the kid with a greasy towel got to it.

Just I understand...

Where is the greasy mess?

Inside?
    Tires?

It's not the paint is it?

Post Thanks / Like

So they did get the tires. I believe what I’m seeing on the paint is just old, dried tree sap. But the tire dressing definitely did fling up to the paint.

Interior has been hit too. Leather is super slick, instrument cluster and windows are disgusting, and the dash is oily.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

For the interior, you might get away with something super simple and super safe, either

Mothers Speed Interior Detailer

Or

Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer

That's what I would try first. If one of the above doesn't work then you'll probably need a dedicated APC

For tires? Any quality dedicated tire cleaner and lots of scrubbing.

It's sad what dealerships do to car.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s not even an old car, why do they do that? Not like they need to hide fading trim and stuff. Such a shame. And some might actually think a shiny interior is nice.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Update: did a little bit of work this afternoon after work.

Mike, as always, was spot on for the tires. Meguiar’s wheel and tire cleaner full strength, and lots of scrubbing with a tire brush.

I went ahead and washed and clayed and put down some spray wax. I’ll tackle polishing another time.

I tried leather cleaner on the seats with no luck. So APC 4:1 it was. It did the job but I ran out of time. So the front two are done and the glass is cleaned haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    It’s not even an old car, why do they do that? Not like they need to hide fading trim and stuff. Such a shame. And some might actually think a shiny interior is nice.
    Bruno-

As you know, I work at a dealership. (Our local Ford dealer, but it really doesn't matter what brand).

I cannot even look at what the "detail department" does to a new car/truck.

But, 99.9% of customers have no clue, don't care about it, and think their new swirled-out car is just DANDY!

Makes me sick, but I just turn my head as I go about my own business. :/
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast