autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Hints to polish these VW englishtowns / speilberg wheels

Hi all,

I have some englishtowns / speilberg rims on my Golf R and was after some tips on how to give these a polish ?

They are diamond cut with what looks like gloss black spokes (with clear I am guessing?) and on one one wheel, black seems a little scratched.

Will normal car polishes work on these wheels ? I am confident on paint correction but have never done any sort of correcting on wheels before ... I have all the gear .. APC, fallout remover, clay, menzerna cut, polish and finish and a DA, but I think I'd try a hand polish as it's only a few bits on one wheel, I am not happy with.

Any tips for this type of wheel is appreciated ! The last thing i want to do is make the wheel look worse than before I started working on it !

These are the wheels

Genuine Volkswagen Audi - 5G0601025DBFZZ - 19" Englishtown - Priced Each (5G0 601 025 DB FZZ)

Hints to polish these VW englishtowns / speilberg wheels-englishtowns-speilberg-jpgHints to polish these VW englishtowns / speilberg wheels-englishtowns-speilberg-2-jpgHints to polish these VW englishtowns / speilberg wheels-3-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hints to polish these VW englishtowns / speilberg wheels

Those wheels are wildHints to polish these VW englishtowns / speilberg wheelsHints to polish these VW englishtowns / speilberg wheels

You'll wanna get a Mother's cone if you have a drill and some good polish (many to chose from) Many protection packages for sure but something easy would be 303 Touchless sealant on a monthly basis, bottle should last you an entire season!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Thanks stylo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stylo View Post
    They are diamond cut with what looks like gloss black spokes (with clear I am guessing?) and on one one wheel, black seems a little scratched.

Generally, if wheels are going to be given a diamond cut finish, any areas that are to be painted are first done so, then the areas to be diamond ground are done, then the whole wheel is given a clear coat.

So you should be able to use any quality light polish and be safe, esp. if doing by hand. Not sure which exact Menzerna "Finish" you have (FF3000 or SF3500) but I'd think either would be OK.

Perhaps double check with the wheel manufacturer too, that never hurts. Esp. since those wheels are $700+ a pop !!!

5. Thanks stylo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are clear coated and can be polished. But due to shape, it will be a PITA. Like Roger said above, the polishing cone you use with a drill will help.
    Bruno Soares

7. Thanks stylo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    But due to shape, it will be a PITA. Like Roger said above, the polishing cone you use with a drill will help.
    Oh, I definitely agree on the cone. Also, for REALLY tight spots, I will break out the Dremel and one of their soft, cloth polishing "cones" as they call them (really they are more like little solid nubs of cloth tapered to a rounded tip) ... obviously just for light imperfections as you cannot apply too much force, or use really high speeds, or you'll shred the little sucker.

9. Thanks stylo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    Generally, if wheels are going to be given a diamond cut finish, any areas that are to be painted are first done so, then the areas to be diamond ground are done, then the whole wheel is given a clear coat.

So you should be able to use any quality light polish and be safe, esp. if doing by hand. Not sure which exact Menzerna "Finish" you have (FF3000 or SF3500) but I'd think either would be OK.

Perhaps double check with the wheel manufacturer too, that never hurts. Esp. since those wheels are $700+ a pop !!!
    It is 3500, I'll give that a go ! Thanks heaps ..

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped polishing wheels along time ago when the water triggered ceramic sprays came out. Clean the wheel with a Daytona speed master or a sonax brush and one of the major wheel wheel cleaners, like the sonax stuff. Then While the wheel is still wet spray on something like gyeon Wet coat, hit it hard with a hose and dry it with a leaf blower and walk away .....will shine for weeks and the next time they get brake dust on them it comes off a heck of a lot easier.

I do my BMW $1500 ea diamond cut wheels at a spray wand car wash about once a month. They always look like this:

Hints to polish these VW englishtowns / speilberg wheels-761a9c12-d3b8-4e4e-b2d2-2490b069cff9-jpeg
    Glen -

12. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I stopped polishing wheels along time ago when the water triggered ceramic sprays came out. Clean the wheel with a Daytona speed master or a sonax brush and one of the major wheel wheel cleaners, like the sonax stuff. Then While the wheel is still wet spray on something like gyeon Wet coat, hit it hard with a hose and dry it with a leaf blower and walk away .....will shine for weeks and the next time they get brake dust on them it comes off a heck of a lot easier.

I do my BMW $1500 ea diamond cut wheels at a spray wand car wash about once a month. They always look like this:

Hints to polish these VW englishtowns / speilberg wheels-761a9c12-d3b8-4e4e-b2d2-2490b069cff9-jpeg
    Yes I’m ok with the after process. Already use Gyeon Cure on the wheels but want to get rid of some light scratches.

Just wanted the tips for polishing