autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Stains on matte/satin finish wheels

This is my first post! And I need your advice. I had my wheels painted matte black by a local rim repair shop 5 months ago. Immediately after that I coated the wheels with Gyeon Q2 Rim.
    A month ago I had my car serviced at MB dealership, when they washed my car. When I went to pick up my car, I noticed (water?) marks on the wheels but had just assumed that they would come off after a proper wash and dry.

As you can imagine, they didn't go away after I used brake buster to clean the wheels properly. There are stains that appear to be streaky. Interestingly, these stains are mostly on the driver's side.
    To cover them up, I reapplied RIM Q2 and now the stains are not as visible but still noticeable up close. These images were taken after I applied the coat. I should've taken before photos so you can see the stains more clearly.

What do you think caused this? Could the dealership used non-PH neutral cleaner? Still it doesn't add up because the stains are mostly on the driver's side.

I can think of another possible cause. After watching detailing videos on YouTube, I attempted to do DIY headlight restoration (that was totally unnecessary because my car is relatively new). I made a mess and polishing compound splashing all over the front bumper and the engine bay. This project took 2-3 weeks from the start because I had to order more sandpapers and compound, during which time the car hadn't been rinsed or washed. I can't remember if I inspected the wheels after I gave it a good wash but I think I would've noticed the stains if there was any. So I don't know where these stains came from.

Is there a way to fix this? Using a magic eraser / polishing compound came to mind but I didn't wanna make it worse.

Stains on matte/satin finish wheels-wheel-jpgStains on matte/satin finish wheels-wheel-2-jpgStains on matte/satin finish wheels-wheel-3-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stains on matte/satin finish wheels

Most likely from the dealership detailer. Who knows what really caused it. If it were me, I’d clean them the fro to polish with something like McKee’s coating prep polish or OPT HyperPolish them re coat them.
    Make take a couple rounds though.

3. Thanks pgalore thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Most likely from the dealership detailer. Who knows what really caused it. If it were me, I’d clean them the fro to polish with something like McKee’s coating prep polish or OPT HyperPolish them re coat them.
    Make take a couple rounds though.
    Thanks for the advice. Can I use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and/or Compound? Or are McKee and OPT Hyper Polish better for this?
    I was under the impression that $ealerships would use genuine MB cleaning products that are not harsh..

Post Thanks / Like

You can try the Meguiar’s if that’s what you have. I would start with the polish first though. The prep polish and HyperPolish actually work very well for situations like this and they also work wonders on black trim if you you every need to restore or clean up and trim.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    You can try the Meguiar’s if that’s what you have. I would start with the polish first though. The prep polish and HyperPolish actually work very well for situations like this and they also work wonders on black trim if you you every need to restore or clean up and trim.
    Oh if that's the case I should get one of those! I don't wanna use the wrong product to make it worse than it is. Thanks for the great tip

Post Thanks / Like

I work for a dealer, and you do NOT want the "detailing department" within 50 feet of your car.

Harsh acid wheel cleaner, dirty brushes that they will put on the floor then back into the bucket, and the same wash water used on car #10 as they used on car #1.

You see, 99% of customers have no problem with this, because a car is simply transportation to them. They never wash it, so when the "detail guys" spray that harsh acid wheel cleaner on the wheels to remove all of the built-up brake dust that has turned the wheels brown, the average customer thinks it is just GREAT!

And the swirls they induce into the paint when they "wash" the vehicle are not noticed by these same customers.

Any trip to the dealer by a true AutoGeek must be accompanied by a strongly-worded message to the service manager, and a note written in BOLD letters that states:

DO NOT WASH THIS CAR!!!!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I work for a dealer, and you do NOT want the "detailing department" within 50 feet of your car.

Harsh acid wheel cleaner, dirty brushes that they will put on the floor then back into the bucket, and the same wash water used on car #10 as they used on car #1.

You see, 99% of customers have no problem with this, because a car is simply transportation to them. They never wash it, so when the "detail guys" spray that harsh acid wheel cleaner on the wheels to remove all of the built-up brake dust that has turned the wheels brown, the average customer thinks it is just GREAT!

And the swirls they induce into the paint when they "wash" the vehicle are not noticed by these same customers.

Any trip to the dealer by a true AutoGeek must be accompanied by a strongly-worded message to the service manager, and a note written in BOLD letters that states:

DO NOT WASH THIS CAR!!!!!
    Ha ha that's funny. And I believe that's the case for a lot of dealerships but I expected more from Mercedes and other luxury brands. I will make sure they don't wash my car in the future. I can accept damages caused by myself but not by others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgalore View Post
    Ha ha that's funny. And I believe that's the case for a lot of dealerships but I expected more from Mercedes and other luxury brands. I will make sure they don't wash my car in the future. I can accept damages caused by myself but not by others.
    Yeah, you would think so. But the 99% also own luxury models.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful with any polish you use... Matte finishes will not be matte after polishing.

While polishing may help you achieve a more uniform finish than the spots you have now, it will also alter the gloss level.

Be sure to do a test spot to see what the polish effect will be. I'd try it on the back side of the wheel before touching anything on the face.

11. Thanks pgalore thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Be careful with any polish you use... Matte finishes will not be matte after polishing.

While polishing may help you achieve a more uniform finish than the spots you have now, it will also alter the gloss level.

Be sure to do a test spot to see what the polish effect will be. I'd try it on the back side of the wheel before touching anything on the face.
    The test spot is a good point. I will say though that I have polished dozens of matte, flat wheels with both of the polished I mentioned. I should also state that it should be done by hand and not too vigorously. If you use a machine it will most likely make them shinier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast