autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What polish do I need?

I bought a new toolbox. I want to polish it before applying a LSP. Since it is new the paint is swirl and scratch free. Since I don't have an defects to remove, and I am looking to make it shine more, what polish should I use?
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What polish do I need?

You might want to go with a one step polish with protectant and since you say you don’t need any correction, I’d suggest going with Rupes Uno Protect and a Rupes White pad. Uno Protect probably gives several months of protection out in the elements so I’d think it would provide protection for a long time indoors.

And if that combo doesn't give you enough gloss then I’d say follow it with the Rupes Ultra-Fine polish though that doesn’t have protection built in so you’d need to follow it with an LSP. I would think Collinite 845 would give you gloss and solid protection for a long, long time indoors.

3. Likes 94BULLITT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    I bought a new toolbox. I want to polish it before applying a LSP. Since it is new the paint is swirl and scratch free. Since I don't have an defects to remove, and I am looking to make it shine more, what polish should I use?
    Polish as the word goes here means to remove light marring. For heavier scratches we use the term compound. Seems that you only need protection (LSP). There are so many LSP's...Don't you have something that you use on your car? That should do since your tool box is not subjected to the weather.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Polish as the word goes here means to remove light marring. For heavier scratches we use the term compound. Seems that you only need protection (LSP). There are so many LSP's...Don't you have something that you use on your car? That should do since your tool box is not subjected to the weather.
    Agree 100%

You don't need a polish. Just apply some 'nuba or a good paint sealant.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll disagree with the opinions that all you need is a LSP.

Many paints can be polished to a higher gloss than the as-sprayed gloss level. Just because there are no swirls or scratches doesn't mean that there is not some benefit to polishing.

There are many polishes that you could use and everyone will have a different opinion. If it was me, I'd try Meguiar's 205, 210, or Ultimate Polish simply because those are what I have on-hand.

You might even get better results with a compound first, i.e., Meguiar's 105, 110, or Ultimate Compound, followed by the polish.

8. Likes 94BULLITT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My tool box liked meguiars m07 glaze but I am old and it was an old snapp on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I'll disagree with the opinions that all you need is a LSP.

Many paints can be polished to a higher gloss than the as-sprayed gloss level. Just because there are no swirls or scratches doesn't mean that there is not some benefit to polishing.

There are many polishes that you could use and everyone will have a different opinion. If it was me, I'd try

Meguiar's 205, 210, or Ultimate Polish simply because those are what I have on-hand.
    You might even get better results with a compound first, i.e., Meguiar's 105, 110, or Ultimate Compound, followed by the polish.
    KISS this is a brand new tool box, not a car.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    KISS this is a brand new tool box, not a car.
    What does "KISS" mean? Keep it simple, Simon?

And just because its a tool box, not a car, is irrelevant. I get it that polishing a toolbox might be overkill and unnecessary to some people, but the OP stated that he wanted to increase the gloss, and I completely get that.

If you want to increase the gloss, then polishing prior to a LSP will most likely provide a better result than simply applying a LSP.

13. Likes 94BULLITT, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    What does "KISS" mean? Keep it simple, Simon?
    Yes. No need to overthink it. Just get some polish like the Rupes I mentioned or the Meguiars 2black1s mentioned. Both are good and I’d even use a fine microfiber pad if you have compressed air to blow the pad out after a polishing section.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some Optimum Poli Seal, which is an all in one. Rupes Uno looks like a good product and I'll get that to replace the poli seal once it is used up. I have some blackfire polish, and I have got decent results from it, but I want a deeper shine. I think I am going to use M205. Thanks for the help.
    Roger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast