autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Overwhelmed With Options (New Car Protection)

Thomkirky is so spot on!

I got 3 or 4 grand of stuff I no longer use! Sitting in bins!

Since you don't have a polisher...

Do as Thomkirby outlined:
    1. Iron-x (remove iron from clear coat).
    2. Wash.
    3. Clay with soapy water. (This will help flatten the surface a bit more).
    4. Rinse and dry.

Then get some spray on stuff, wipe and done.

The new 303 Graphine: Review: 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating

This may just all you need: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, paint coating, nano glass paint coating

Get these, makes applying product really nice! Microfiber Applicators
    Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to polish any marring the clay may leave behind
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally clay does mar the surface.

In this case---his paint is white, so the chances of marring will be minimal. Pigments used in white paint is very hard and chances are low.

Just do it lightly as Thomkirby mentioned above...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    I will add to the confusion by giving you my opinion. I have owned so many white cars over the years including a Toyota 4Runner many years ago. Owned a few 'real' Chevy Blazers used for running the wilds of Wyoming and Colorado.

Yes, do take time with the 'baggie' test and check the paint and then do chemical iron decon section and clay the surface lightly.

For the exterior protection pick whatever you find in the AG store that is easy to apply. Use it on a regular basis to keep the car looking it's best. If you do take the truck into the brush you are going to 'mar' that exterior layer. So pick something easy to apply frequently.

Give it time but do consider buying one of the Griot's Garage G9 DA buffers to use for any surface imperfections that will occur with your four wheeling adventures.

My storage cabinet is full of Facebook and YouTube recommended products: Collinite 845 and Collinite 915 waxes, Pinnacle waxes, McKee's, Blackfire, and Wolfgang products.

I do recommend the new 303 Graphene spray for the roof section for the protection it provides and easy to apply. For the lower sections pick easy, those will need frequent toppers if you trash in the brush. I do enjoy using the Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating (spray) and then the topper with the Surface Protection ($$$$ - wait for a sale). That keeps the surfaces slick and glossy.

In the words of Mike Phillips, find a product YOU like to use and use it often. My final word, do not chase the latest and greatest unless you have a large storage area. LOL
    Thank you for all the comments, I do my best to avoid brush trails to minimize the damage to the paint but i know its inevitable. Can i ask for clarificaiton are you suggesting using a wax prior to using the Black Label Coating Spray? Or will their cleansing polish be plenty sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Thomkirky is so spot on!

I got 3 or 4 grand of stuff I no longer use! Sitting in bins!

Since you don't have a polisher...

Do as Thomkirby outlined:
    1. Iron-x (remove iron from clear coat).
    2. Wash.
    3. Clay with soapy water. (This will help flatten the surface a bit more).
    4. Rinse and dry.

Then get some spray on stuff, wipe and done.

The new 303 Graphine: Review: 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating

This may just all you need: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, paint coating, nano glass paint coating

Tom
    Tom does that Black Label Diamond Surface Coating actually hold up to its claims (to your knowledge or experience) of approximately 18months? For the next 6 months my vehicle will be intermittently parked inside and outside of our garage so i expect to reduce it by at least 4-6 months of that claim. If i can get 1 year of protection and good appearance out of that product i would be satisficed. Otherwise i'd rather lower the cost and reapply something else more frequently if that makes any sense.

Additionally can the 303 Graphene product be used as a final application on top of other sealants or is that becoming redundant and no gain?

Post Thanks / Like

That is if we're talking single stage white paint.

I can say from experience that clay can mar clear coated white paint

Post Thanks / Like

Duh....

Bill D, you are correct! Just had a brain fade---was in middle of figuring out my approach to the white single 1967 Camaro!

Geez....

I gotta pay attention! Lol....

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

No problem Tom!

You've got a beauty on your mind!

8. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you mentioned you had some PPF installed on the lower portions, just make sure whatever product you use is safe for PPF.

Before deciding on specific products, I would first decide on the type of product you prefer. Do you enjoy applying a paste wax and then buffing it off? Do you enjoy spending several hours detailing your car? Or do you prefer something that is as easy and quick to apply as possible? Do you mind reapplying your protection product every 3-5 months, or do you prefer something that lasts longer between applications?

If you enjoy detailing on your car, you could first apply a polymer sealant such as Powerlock and then follow that with a coat of Collinite 845. Your car would be protected and look amazing. But applying both products by hand would take quite a bit of time.

If you want something that provides a lot of protection but is faster and easier to apply, then I suggest going with an ceramic-infused spray sealant such as the Wolfgang SiO2 Spray Sealant. Products like this, IMO, are easier to apply. Plus, you can apply it to every hard exterior surface including black trim. If you are on a budget, Turtle Wax Seal and Shine is a surprisingly good product that offers decent gloss and excellent protection. The Turtle Wax Hyrbid Solutions line is also another lower cost option.

Although Chemical Guys has a couple of good products, for the most part, IMO, they are overhyped and overpriced and they tend to underperform. In general, you will find much better quality products here on AG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    Since you mentioned you had some PPF installed on the lower portions, just make sure whatever product you use is safe for PPF.

Before deciding on specific products, I would first decide on the type of product you prefer. Do you enjoy applying a paste wax and then buffing it off? Do you enjoy spending several hours detailing your car? Or do you prefer something that is as easy and quick to apply as possible? Do you mind reapplying your protection product every 3-5 months, or do you prefer something that lasts longer between applications?

If you enjoy detailing on your car, you could first apply a polymer sealant such as Powerlock and then follow that with a coat of Collinite 845. Your car would be protected and look amazing. But applying both products by hand would take quite a bit of time.

If you want something that provides a lot of protection but is faster and easier to apply, then I suggest going with an ceramic-infused spray sealant such as the Wolfgang SiO2 Spray Sealant. Products like this, IMO, are easier to apply. Plus, you can apply it to every hard exterior surface including black trim. If you are on a budget, Turtle Wax Seal and Shine is a surprisingly good product that offers decent gloss and excellent protection. The Turtle Wax Hyrbid Solutions line is also another lower cost option.

Although Chemical Guys has a couple of good products, for the most part, IMO, they are overhyped and overpriced and they tend to underperform. In general, you will find much better quality products here on AG.
    I appreciate the comments, I wanted to go with the black label pinnacle products both cleansing polish and the coating, however after everything in my list I don稚 think the wife will be too happy. I believe I知 leaning toward the WG polish enhancer & deep gloss 3.0. Followed by a final si02 coating or something similar, perhaps that 303 graphene nano spray. (I値l make sure to clay bar it and use iron x in the process of course)

I知 on a budget per say, because I知 also looking to pickup a variety of other products for startup including the rinseless wash products buckets grit guards etc. I知 sure I値l come up with a final decision this weekend and hopefully can post some before and after a so I can get advice ans tips if I missed any important steps/details for the next go around.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RNR89JV View Post

I appreciate the comments, I wanted to go with the black label pinnacle products both cleansing polish and the coating, however after everything in my list I don’t think the wife will be too happy.

I believe I’m leaning toward the WG polish enhancer & deep gloss 3.0.

Followed by a final si02 coating or something similar, perhaps that 303 graphene nano spray. (I’ll make sure to clay bar it and use iron x in the process of course)
    Nothing wrong with using a paint cleaner, but for all the time and work, you might as well use a REAL polish and get ALL the benefits of a paint cleaner PLUS you'll remove any minor paint defects. There's always been so much confusion over paint cleaners that I finally wrote an article for this topic.

A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

Me?

Well first I only work by hand if I have to, for example showing how to work by hand for a video, TV or a a class. Other than that I'm part machine, I work like a machine and I use machines. So I don't use paint cleaners. If I'm going to rub or buff something over the paint I might as well perfect the paint at the same time so the minimum product I would use is a fine cut polish. Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is INCORRECTLY named. It was named LONG before I came to Autogeek. I have know idea who named it but they didn't know the difference between a glaze and a polish. The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze would be better named Wolfgang Fine Cut Polish. And it's a really nice fine cut polish.

And just to note - there are a LOT of companies that use the word glaze incorrectly. I have an article for this topic too...

Word Definitions - Compounds, Polishes, Glazes, Paint Cleaners and Waxes

Here are the only TRUE glazes that I know of according to my definition. And please, if anyone wants to take on the responsibility of writing for the car detailing industry as a whole - go for it. I do it because it's my passion.

Body Shop Safe Glaze on Fresh Paint - #7 Show Car Glaze

3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

Quote Originally Posted by RNR89JV View Post

I’m on a budget per say, because I’m also looking to pickup a variety of other products for startup including the rinseless wash products buckets grit guards etc.

I’m sure I’ll come up with a final decision this weekend and hopefully can post some before and after a so I can get advice ans tips if I missed any important steps/details for the next go around.

Although the title of this article states the info is for "coated" cars - if you think about it - the same info applies for any type of protection on a car. It's all about "touching" the paint carefully so as not to mar the paint in the car washing and drying process.

Things you need to wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast