autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Fine cut polish by hand...

Hi great forum happy Holidays. Got the wife’s Arctic white C8 vert last week, washed it (would not let the dealer wash). Gave it the baggie test, passed. I am gonna hand polish and wax. Any fine cut polish work better by hand? I would REALLY like to drive to Florida from California and have Mike do it, but not gonna happen with COVID, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fine cut polish by hand...

Being brand new, and white, and having passed the baggie test, the next thing I would do is inspect the paint for scratches, swirls, water spots, etc. Inspect it in varying light conditions for best results. Don't just rely on the sun, I've found white very hard to inspect in bright sunlight.

Once you inspect the paint you can then make a better decision on your next steps. Polishing, especially by hand, may not be necessary at all. You may be better served with a simple AIO application.

But if you are dead-set on polishing by hand, let me recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or M205. M210 may also be a good choice but I haven't tried it yet... But I will pretty soon.

Post Thanks / Like

You’re setting yourself up for Alot of work... It’s not as easy as “massage” in and wipe off... Well it sort of is, but the massage part is more passionate than you’d imagine because in order for it to wipe off correctly it needs to flash, which means it needs to be worked in enough, and if that new cars paint is as good as it sounds [passing the baggie test is a good sign] then it may not need anything but lsp right now.

If it was me I’d just seal it up and maintain it from here on out.

Post Thanks / Like

Fine cut polish by hand...

Actually it’s not completely true about needing to work in the polish that much, that’s usually only the case if you’re removing defects/oxidation.

I just got done working by hand so I couldn’t help but be thinking like this at the moment.

Working by hand to remove defects is alot of work. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbykart View Post
    ... I would REALLY like to drive to Florida from California and have Mike do it, but not gonna happen with COVID, etc.
    Good thing for COVID!

You'd probably incur more road rash during a cross-country trip than any "detailing" could correct. Even if it is Mike doing the detailing LOL.

6. Likes hoyt66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great advice forum members, I saw a few very small, light scratches, swirls in the sun today. I will use the Brinkman in the garage tomorrow, give it a Garry Dean then start hand polish/wax. Funny M205 is my go to, just got another qt this week. I have Megs Ultimate polish and it works wonders on my single stage paint Pantera, but was very hard to get off my C7. I will try both, on test spots and see which I prefer. Bought the Wolfgang Fuzion for LSP, I have never used it before. Will post photos