autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron cleaning products vs wheel cleaners?

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Another option might be Ammo Frothe as people seem to think the foam encapsulates dirt better so this would give you good cleaning with no mess. I’d feel better about this with a prewash but I’ve seen Frothe used on some pretty dirty vehicles though I’ve never used it myself.
    I really don't want to change my cleaning product I like ONR. I just want to know if IronX does what brake buster does basically as good or better (except the rust inhibitor).

Post Thanks / Like

Loo into Meguiar's D1801. Designed for paint and wheels. You will still need some sort of agitation unless you use something like Meguiar's Wheel Brightener which may not need agitation. Ceramic coat your wheels and you won't need to use a wheel cleaner or iron remover that often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Loo into Meguiar's D1801. Designed for paint and wheels. You will still need some sort of agitation unless you use something like Meguiar's Wheel Brightener which may not need agitation. Ceramic coat your wheels and you won't need to use a wheel cleaner or iron remover that often.
    Used to use this product (consumer version) before haha before dwelling into other products.

But this doesn't really answer the main question, now that you present this product, for example how does Meguiar D1801 compare vs CarPro IronX? I already have the IronX not looking at spending more money on a unesccary product if the IronX does the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so the IronX type products are low pH ~ 7 compared to Brake Buster pH 11, so on that alone brake buster has better cleaning ability IMO. But I dillute it 1:4 so... not sure how the ph works out to in the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    I am trying to gauge which one sits higher or if there is one better than the other.

For example I have both Brake Buster and CarPro IronX. Is IronX on it's own good enough as a cleaner for wheels? I know Sonax makes a wheel cleaner that changes color, is it exactly the same as CarPro or a wheel oriented forumla?

And sometimes when I do brake buster then IronX am I wasting my time and could just use IronX on it's own?
    Iron remover is iron remover and wheel cleaner is wheel cleaner. To me... they serve 2 different functions. A wheel cleaner in most cases is good enough for a well maintained wheel. I dont use it every time I clean my wheels. More of a yearly thing for me... like claying the paint which I would use ironX prior on paint as well.

Iron X on its own wont do much on a dirty wheel beyond getting rid of the iron particles. From my experience, after Iron X ... embedded dirt and baked in brake dust seems to come off easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so the IronX type products are low pH ~ 7 compared to Brake Buster pH 11, so on that alone brake buster has better cleaning ability IMO. But I dillute it 1:4 so... not sure how the ph works out to in the end.

PH7 is neutral. Which is a good thing....

The benefit of a product like brake buster is that you can clean the tires with it as well. Plus..you can dail up or down the strength based on your need.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the topic kinda went offtopic here... but yeah even with the hydroshot I rather not get my driveway all icy either. That's why I use the coin wash to pre-prinse the car and clean wheels, then I drive back home and do a ONR wash in the garage (unheated).
    I take a garden pump sprayer with water. I’ll foam brake buster or what ever let dwell and PW off. If not to cold i will then spray BB again and agitate. Rinse of with pump sprayer. Then either PW or run through touchless wash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Used to use this product (consumer version) before haha before dwelling into other products.

But this doesn't really answer the main question, now that you present this product, for example how does Meguiar D1801 compare vs CarPro IronX? I already have the IronX not looking at spending more money on a unesccary product if the IronX does the job.
    I will let Markus cover all of the aspects of the product. Starts at 2:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I will let Markus cover all of the aspects of the product. Starts at 2:45.

Interesting it does seem then like a combination of both a wheel cleaner and iron remover but it still seemed to struggle there.

Post Thanks / Like

You've had multiple people answer your question. Put it together...

If the wheels are really dirty, Brake Buster
    If the wheels are moderately or lightly dirty and/or coated, Iron X
    Agitation will likely be needed, use a wash soap that has surfactants and lubricity for this, not expensive chemicals that may not have these properties
    The only remote hope of achieving a satisfactory touchless clean is with a coated wheel

I understand you want to have one product but why must it be an all or nothing thing? Try to use Iron X for the bulk of ferrous metal tasks but still keep a bottle of (full strength) wheel cleaner on hand in case you need it, then you have the option of diluting or using it neat if the dirt is severe. For example, I just bought a 4 liter container of Iron X (which is more economical) but I always keep a bottle of Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner on hand in case I need it.

11. Thanks TheMidnightNarwhal, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast