autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron cleaning products vs wheel cleaners?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    Interesting others are saying agitation is definitely gonna be needed.

Yeah the rust inhibitor is quite a gimmick, rust goes away when using the brakes so.
    You're not reading the totality of my posts. The vast majority of the time I do agitate...with a bucket of wash water and my assortment of brushes and mitt.

Pre-treat with Iron X and blast with pressure washer= ~85+% clean
    Agitate with wash water and dedicated tools= 100% clean

The rust inhibitor is hardly a gimmick. Both of our daily drivers are BMWs with large rotors. If left alone, the first drive after a wash there will be a fine but visible coating of rust dust on the wheels. That coating of dust attracts even more dust and turns into a mess if it gets damp. Brake Buster did a decent job when applied specifically to the rotor. Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper does even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    You're not reading the totality of my posts. The vast majority of the time I do agitate...with a bucket of wash water and my assortment of brushes and mitt.

The rust inhibitor is hardly a gimmick. Both of our daily drivers are BMWs with large rotors. If left alone, the first drive after a wash there will be a fine but visible coating of rust dust on the wheels. Brake Buster did a decent job when applied specifically to the rotor. Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper does even better.
    Oh right ok gotcha, yeah, the touchless washes are just for like maintenance/upkeep I'd say.

Yes but that feature is a gimmick because the rust is removed by simply braking. I have a BMW with large rotors to, just move the car and brake.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh right ok gotcha, yeah, the touchless washes are just for like maintenance/upkeep I'd say.

Yes but that feature is a gimmick because the rust is removed by simply braking. I have a BMW with large rotors to, just move the car and brake.
    It's not a gimmick because I don't want that rust ending up on my wheel(s) by having the pad abrade it off into dust. It can turn into a horrible mess esp. if the car sees light moisture and then re-dries onto the rim. I can assure you 100% that treating the rotor makes a big difference in my experience.

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I blow dry my rotors (wheels/tires) after washing and don't have rust problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I blow dry my rotors (wheels/tires) after washing and don't have rust problems.
    Yeah I do, too. The thing is if I don't treat them after cleaning the wheels they get a fine film of rust (not yet enough to make dust on the wheels) BUT after hitting the car with the foam cannon and then a contact wash, by the time I get back to dry it that rust will have increased to the point where it will make dust when the car is moved. Oddly enough the rear rotors of my wife's X5 have this problem far worse than the fronts and worse than any other car we've had.

Post Thanks / Like

If I understand, the core problem is not being able to use water to wash during the winter. I’m thinking of getting a Worx Hydroshot so I can get water from a bucket to be able to rinse the wheels without hooking up a hose. Would that address your need? Or did I misread the focus with the discussion of the rust preventer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    Yeah I do, too. The thing is if I don't treat them after cleaning the wheels they get a fine film of rust (not yet enough to make dust on the wheels) BUT after hitting the car with the foam cannon and then a contact wash, by the time I get back to dry it that rust will have increased to the point where it will make dust when the car is moved. Oddly enough the rear rotors of my wife's X5 have this problem far worse than the fronts and worse than any other car we've had.
    I've never heard of the rust dust being an issue. I have not experienced the same issue as you even though I use brake buster 1:4, the rotors still become rusty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    If I understand, the core problem is not being able to use water to wash during the winter. I’m thinking of getting a Worx Hydroshot so I can get water from a bucket to be able to rinse the wheels without hooking up a hose. Would that address your need? Or did I misread the focus with the discussion of the rust preventer?
    Yeah the topic kinda went offtopic here... but yeah even with the hydroshot I rather not get my driveway all icy either. That's why I use the coin wash to pre-prinse the car and clean wheels, then I drive back home and do a ONR wash in the garage (unheated).

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of the rust dust being an issue. I have not experienced the same issue as you even though I use brake buster 1:4, the rotors still become rusty.
    I used Brake Buster neat and would give the rotors a quick mist after cleaning the wheels. No rust would form, just a dull residue. Hyde's Serum is even better, the rotor maintains a shiny metal finish. With either one of those products, no rust dust on the wheels after driving away.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the topic kinda went offtopic here... but yeah even with the hydroshot I rather not get my driveway all icy either. That's why I use the coin wash to pre-prinse the car and clean wheels, then I drive back home and do a ONR wash in the garage (unheated).
    Another option might be Ammo Frothe as people seem to think the foam encapsulates dirt better so this would give you good cleaning with no mess. I’d feel better about this with a prewash but I’ve seen Frothe used on some pretty dirty vehicles though I’ve never used it myself.

12. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast