autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Alternative to PNS / BSD?

Disclaimer:
    I'm not the type of person who enjoys buying tons of products to try out and see what I like best.
    I want to do research, find a few key products that work well, and stick with them for several years.
    I also look for a simple/quick/efficient process that does NOT involve coatings.

When I bought my new vehicle in 2018, I switched from Zaino to Sonax PNS / BSD.
    I generally like the Sonax pair for the following reasons...
    long-lasting, fairly inexpensive, application process is quick/simple, can be applied to ALL surfaces (paint, glass, trim, ect) without needing multiple specialized products.
    I tend to not like the grabby feeling when applying/removing, and it doesn't leave behind a really slick finish.

Question:
    Are there other non-coating products that may be superior to the PNS/BSD I'm currently using?
    I'm looking for a pair of products...a 'sealant' that I apply 2x per year (Spring/Fall) and a 'detail spray' that I apply once/month or so.

Should I switch to a sprayable ceramic or graphine product for my 'sealant'?
    How does something like the Adam's or 303 graphine spray compare to PNS?

Are there other 'detail sprays' that provide long-lasting protection like BSD, but are more slick?

Mike Phillips

Re: Alternative to PNS / BSD?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post

Disclaimer:
    I'm not the type of person who enjoys buying tons of products to try out and see what I like best.
    I want to do research, find a few key products that work well, and stick with them for several years.
    I also look for a simple/quick/efficient process that does NOT involve coatings.

When I bought my new vehicle in 2018, I switched from Zaino to Sonax PNS / BSD.
    I generally like the Sonax pair for the following reasons...
    long-lasting, fairly inexpensive, application process is quick/simple, can be applied to ALL surfaces (paint, glass, trim, ect) without needing multiple specialized products.
    I tend to not like the grabby feeling when applying/removing, and it doesn't leave behind a really slick finish.
    Well explained. I know SONAX is working on making the Polymer Net Shield feel slippery to the touch and also make wipe-off easier. I do not know where there at with this.

Question:

Are there other non-coating products that may be superior to the PNS/BSD I'm currently using?

I'm looking for a pair of products...a 'sealant' that I apply 2x per year (Spring/Fall) and a 'detail spray' that I apply once/month or so.

Should I switch to a sprayable ceramic or graphine product for my 'sealant'?

Here's a combo in which both products are "spray-on" and I like them.

Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating - $129.99

Most people think the PBL Surface Coating is expensive but if you do a cost-per-ounce analysis compared to any of the tiny bottles of coatings that are so popular, it's a hell of a bargain. And it works great and makes your paint feel slippery. I just applied some of this to a brand new black C8 Corvette last weekend.

And for maintenance, the 3D version of Bead Maker.

3D Bead It Up

How does something like the Adam's or 303 graphine spray compare to PNS?
    I have not used Adam's anything, so I don't have an opinion. I used and then wrote a very thorough review of the new 303 Graphene here,

Review: 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating

I was impressed with the results but as I stated in my review, the wipe-off is a tick sticky. The head chemist said that's the graphene grabbing or sticking to the surface. That's a good thing.

I think the real key to using 303 Graphene Nano Spray is the learned DISCIPLINE of applying an uber thin coat.

Are there other 'detail sprays' that provide long-lasting protection like BSD, but are more slick?

I think a real sleeper out there is this one,

DP Need For Bead

I will have to use and compare the 3D bead product to the DP bead product to figure out which one I like best and works best but initial use of the DP product I was impressed with how slippery it made the paint feel.

Post Thanks / Like

PNS is hard to beat. It has coating like behavior. BSD on top again is just as comparable as a coating maintenance product. I know everyone likes slickness but I would take the performance of the combo over a product that has slickness with marginal durability compared to Sonax PNS.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that PNS will outperform a ceramic spray sealant. Graphene is the newest buzzword and youtubers are really hyping it up quite a bit. I have played with a few graphene products myself and they do offer better slickness when it comes to a true coating. The thing to keep in mind is that they are still ceramic products that are infused with refined graphene oxide. I have used the Adams Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating as well as their Graphene Spray detailer. It is a good combination and the application is easy. You won't get the grabby feeling like you do with PNS when wiping of the spray coating. The graphene spray detailer is actually nice and it is slick. If you want to venture into the ceramic/graphene world then the Adams combo would be a good fit for you to try out.

I have not used the 303 Graphene product and I have no intention of using it anytime soon or even at all so I can't comment on how it is. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and try the product because everyone will have a different experience with it.

Sonax will be coming out with a new ceramic line that is supposed to be slicker than PNS/BSD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    PNS is hard to beat. It has coating like behavior. BSD on top again is just as comparable as a coating maintenance product. I know everyone likes slickness but I would take the performance of the combo over a product that has slickness with marginal durability compared to Sonax PNS.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that PNS will outperform a ceramic spray sealant. Graphene is the newest buzzword and youtubers are really hyping it up quite a bit. I have played with a few graphene products myself and they do offer better slickness when it comes to a true coating. The thing to keep in mind is that they are still ceramic products that are infused with refined graphene oxide. I have used the Adams Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating as well as their Graphene Spray detailer. It is a good combination and the application is easy. You won't get the grabby feeling like you do with PNS when wiping of the spray coating. The graphene spray detailer is actually nice and it is slick. If you want to venture into the ceramic/graphene world then the Adams combo would be a good fit for you to try out.

I have not used the 303 Graphene product and I have no intention of using it anytime soon or even at all so I can't comment on how it is. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and try the product because everyone will have a different experience with it.

Sonax will be coming out with a new ceramic line that is supposed to be slicker than PNS/BSD.

I’ve used the Adams spray graphene coating and PBL surface coating. Both great products but my testing got cut short to a month. Both had insane beading. The Adam’s sheeted beads off better at speed but may have applied the PBL to heavy. Would definitely use both again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk