autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Don't you get love it when people say things like this?

One of my relatives has a Rav4, black, BLACK....

Has done literally nothing to it for more than 4 years such as wax etc. since they have owned it.

Other than run it through car washes, and they live up North, way up North by the Great lakes.

Was told by them that the car looks great and even after another year or so once they trade it in even the dealer will say how good it looks.

I had a very hard time not laughing at them, really.

Lives too far from me to really take a look at it with my own eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don't you get love it when people say things like this?

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    One of my relatives has a Rav4, black, BLACK....

Has done literally nothing to it for more than 4 years such as wax etc. since they have owned it.

Other than run it through car washes, and they live up North, way up North by the Great lakes.

Was told by them that the car looks great and even after another year or so once they trade it in even the dealer will say how good it looks.

I had a very hard time not laughing at them, really.

Lives too far from me to really take a look at it with my own eyes.
    Have them hold a flashlight from 2 feet away after a wash. Maybe you can give your thoughts back to them if the photo comes out clear enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Have them hold a flashlight from 2 feet away after a wash. Maybe you can give your thoughts back to them if the photo comes out clear enough.

I doubt they would do it, they just don't care.

I did tell them to back it out in the sun and look right down at the hood with the sun shining on it.

Doubt they would even do that.

With that soft Toyota paint I can just imagine how bad it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Ever heard the saying "Ignorance is bliss"?

Let me ask you this, if you could go back to before you knew what swirls were, before your bionic detailing eye knew what to look for, would you do it?

My answer, no way.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Ever heard the saying "Ignorance is bliss"?

Let me ask you this, if you could go back to before you knew what swirls were, before your bionic detailing eye knew what to look for, would you do it?

My answer, no way.

I knew what they were before I could even drive and that was a very long time ago now, more than 40 years.

I grew up around car people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    I knew what they were before I could even drive and that was a very long time ago now, more than 40 years.

I grew up around car people.
    I am the first in my family, I've been trying to make them understand, but it's a tough job. At least my 80 year old Mum understands, she won't let anyone else touch her car. In fact I heard her tell someone, if you can't wash it properly, leave it dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

I am the first in my family, I've been trying to make them understand, but it's a tough job. At least my 80 year old Mum understands, she won't let anyone else touch her car. In fact I heard her tell someone, if you can't wash it properly, leave it dirty.

Yes, it's tough, very tough to get through to them.

Most believe in that myth that with clear coat you don't have to do anything to the car.

And then there are those who just don't want to be bothered with it and or are just too cheap etc.

8. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My answer, no way.
    Heeeel nah. I would never go back. From the moment I bought my first 1989 Honda Accord in the late 90’s, I’ve treated all my cars as if they are my first or second most expensive possession, and the possession that gets my family, friends and I around safely and deserves to be pampered as a reward.

I had no clue about swirls and how to wash right, but I washed it constantly, slathered the interior in Armorall and used TW Hard Shell Wax or Cleaner Wax 3 or 4x a year because it’s how I knew to accomplish my goals at that time.

I consider everything I’ve learned since that time to be an improvement and maturation of my original attempt to reward my vehicles, and I look forward to continuing to learn things and get better. And along the way during all of this improved methods of car pampering, I learned that I thoroughly enjoy it. No going back, and the money/time spent is well worth it to me; for my sanity, mental health and personal enjoyment.

10. Likes Big Dave, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Heeeel nah. I would never go back. From the moment I bought my first 1989 Honda Accord in the late 90’s, I’ve treated all my cars as if they are my first or second most expensive possession, and the possession that gets my family, friends and I around safely and deserves to be pampered as a reward.

I had no clue about swirls and how to wash right, but I washed it constantly, slathered the interior in Armorall and used TW Hard Shell Wax or Cleaner Wax 3 or 4x a year because it’s how I knew to accomplish my goals at that time.

I consider everything I’ve learned since that time to be an improvement and maturation of my original attempt to reward my vehicles, and I look forward to continuing to learn things and get better. And along the way during all of this improved methods of car pampering, I learned that I thoroughly enjoy it. No going back, and the money/time spent is well worth it to me; for my sanity, mental health and personal enjoyment.
    I know exactly where you're coming from. Been there, done that, probably making exactly the same mistakes.

There is a guy I see while walking my dogs, he has a 2 year old 370Z, only about 5k on it, only drives it on weekends. He really loves showing it off, it's in good condition, but I can see some swirls and water marks, but I won't tell him, I can tell he would get upset. If he was to ask me what I see, I might tell him, might not, but I'd guide him towards better methods, and better products.

12. Likes jankerson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly where you're coming from. Been there, done that, probably making exactly the same mistakes.

There is a guy I see while walking my dogs, he has a 2 year old 370Z, only about 5k on it, only drives it on weekends. He really loves showing it off, it's in good condition, but I can see some swirls and water marks, but I won't tell him, I can tell he would get upset. If he was to ask me what I see, I might tell him, might not, but I'd guide him towards better methods, and better products.

Yeah, those types can be difficult.

Thinking they have been doing it right, pointing out stuff may backfire.

14. Likes Big Dave liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast